: 94 SLS questions

brettsSLS
07-11-05, 07:39 PM
OK, I have a few quetions about my 94 SLS. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago and have already replaced the radiator and thermostat due to the left side end tank splitting. I drove it for about 100 feet in camel mode, so i know that it works. Are there any problems I should be aware of after that? I have noticed ever since I bought it that it runs hot, between 205 and 234 degrees. It looks hot to me at least, and it does it even after the thermostat replacement. What is the normal operating temps for the car, it is 110 degrees outside here BTW (Vegas)?

I am thinking about gutting out the cats to help with flow and try to cool the engine a little better by relieving some back pressure, anyone that has done this, please let me know if it helped in the cooling department at all.

another problem I have noticed is that I need shocks and struts. I plan on installing some lowering/sport springs from Eibach, and I found a company that sells direct NON computer controlled replacement shocks and struts for a little over 500 for the set. Has anyone used these before, either the springs or the shocks and struts?

Thanks for the help.

Brett

Ranger
07-11-05, 09:18 PM
205 is normal. I was going to say 234 is a little on the warm side til you mentioned it was 110 outside. 234 may not be out of line for those ungodly temps. What kind of engine temp do you run in weather that humans can survive in?

mcowden
07-11-05, 09:30 PM
The temps you mentioned are probably normal for 110 degree weather, especially if it's stop and go with the AC running.

As for gutting the cat, you may get a neverending Service Engine Soon light if you do that, but I don't know if the OBD-I cars had a sensor after the cat or not. They might not, and in that case, the SES would go off but of course you'd never pass an emissions test. Plus it's just not good for the air, especially in a hot climate. Instead of gutting the cat, consider a high flow exhaust from the cat back and maybe a high flow cat. That seems to be one of the few performance enhancements you can squeeze out of the Northstars. Air filters and boxes don't seem to do much if anything, and might actually hurt longevity and low RPM torque.

As for the suspension, post that question in the suspension forums and you'll get much better answers.

Welcome to the forums. I suggest reading through the technical archives and using the Search function extensively to answer your questions before you post. A lot of questions have been answered repeatedly. Good luck with your SLS, and let us know what you do and how it works out...

brettsSLS
07-12-05, 12:44 AM
Ok, the temp is what I was figuring. As far as the exhaust goes, I only spent about 3K for the car, so i am trying to keep it cheap. I will probably try to find some better cats for it, but as far as the rest of the exhaust, I am custom making it, with straight pipes and resonator tubes.

It doesn't go over like 226 unless I hit the gas to get around someone, then it cools off again. It just worries me since I cracked the radiator within the first 3 days of owning it, so I figure SOMETHING must've done that. darn plastic end tanks. What was GM thinking, they could save some weight? the car already weighs almost 6K pounds!!!

Thanks for the help.

B

hardley-etc
07-12-05, 08:40 AM
my 94 etc always runs in the 203-234 range all the time, does not matter exterior temp. except maybe stuck in traffic fans will be on more often

my fans come on at 234 deg F

car weighs 3695 pounds according to manual

can't imagine a 94 sls would weigh in the 6000 pound range

my 78 eldo is in the 3 ton range

are you sure your fans are working?
belts are not slipping?
coolant level is fine?
proper mixture?
surge tank cap is good?

do a search on northstar temp range and you readings seem to be in the normal range

brettsSLS
07-12-05, 02:57 PM
yeah, I'm sure everything is good, now. On my title the weight read 58XX pounds, but it could be wrong I guess.