: Northstar Swap question

mehansen50
07-11-05, 12:24 PM
Can I swap a 1995 STS northstar into a 1996 Eldorado? Thanks Mark

mcowden
07-11-05, 01:13 PM
Probably not. The '95 is OBD-I equipped and the '96 is OBD-II. There are more sensors and stuff and a completely different computer. It could possibly be done with some modifications, but it might be more trouble than it's worth. Is the 96 Eldo an ETC? If the motor is coming from an STS, there could also be transmission incompatibilities if the Eldo's not an ETC. Someone else will probably chime in here with specifics, but my general impression is that it probably will not work without a lot of modifications.

JimHare
07-11-05, 01:19 PM
I'm not the expert here (I think I'm 1,484th in line...) but I don't think so - IIRC, '96 was the year GM switched to OBD/II diagnostics, with all new engine computer and stuff - so the OBD/I version of your STS wouldn't match with all the electrical and computer connections.

------------------
Ding! Great minds think alike - they just don't always hit the "SUBMIT" button when they're done typing... :o

DaveC
07-11-05, 10:25 PM
The intake manifold and MAF sensor from the "96" engine (assuming you have those parts)will bolt onto the "95" engine making the OBD issue a "non issue". If the "96" is the "ETC" model , VIN 9 motor, it will be a perfect match. I did this switch using a "97" engine in a "95" car and it has been perfect.
Good luck
DaveC

mehansen50
07-12-05, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all your help everyone - thanks Mark