: Cure all for aftermarket audio upgrade headache?

cchoi112
07-11-05, 01:44 AM
I've been out of the audio game for about 5 years, but lately, I've been considering installing aftermarket equipment (at least a sub + amp, maybe more) in my 2005 CTS-V (I plan on doing everything myself). After reading numerous threads about the headaches involved with balanced vs. unbalanced outputs, 12 volt triggers, etc, I've become a little discouraged, but then i found the audiocontrol lc6 (all the signal processing in my old system was done by audiocontrol, and i swear by them).

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience using the Audiocontrol LC6 with a BOSE/NAV 2005 CTS.

Here's the link and some highlights:

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/Article_detail.asp?id=224&Section_Id=184

“Many newer vehicles are using a proprietary bus or digital transmission protocol to transmit signals from the factory installed source unit to an amplifier,” explains Tom Walker of AudioControl. “This type of cabling makes it rather challenging if not impossible to intercept the signal between the source unit and amplifier, which limits a customers upgrade potential.:

Other installation friendly features include voltage sensing turn-on and a 12-volt output. Most factory installed source units do not have a 12-volt trigger to turn-on external processors and amplifiers. The LC6 actually monitors the signal at it’s speaker level inputs and when it senses an audio signal, it automatically powers up the LC6. Once powered up, the LC6 provides a 12-volt output that can be used to turn on external amplifiers and processors.

ctsvett
07-14-05, 05:34 PM
not sure if it would work.. I would recommend the cleansweep instead i fyou want to go that route... I hav enot tried it or looked at it yet, but its pre-amp (I think- that may be 2weeks of vacation talkin).

Reed

jimbohenson
07-15-05, 12:25 PM
I am awaitng the arrival of the JL Audio CleanSweep. Look it up, it seems to be the perfect answer. I am not brave enough to install myself but cant imagine it would be too dificult. I am just going to add a couple subs and maybe some tweets. I will most likely install Sirius as well. I will be sure to post when its installed.

LV_V
07-15-05, 04:18 PM
I don't think you quite understand why the JL Cleansweep will not interface correctly with the V's stock audio system. First off, the Cleansweep would be great if the V had only four channels that needed to be to be "processed". Using the Cleansweep you will not be able to run a subwoofer from its outputed signal. The reason for this is simple: if you use the front and rear speaker outputs from the Bose amp for the "analog" inputs into the Cleansweep, there will be no bass frequencies because the Bose system filters them out. Even though the Cleansweep has a subwoofer output, it will not be outputing a complete signal containing the frequencies that a subwoofer reproduces (generally 80-100Hz and below).

For the last time that I am going to post this, THE CLEANSWEEP IS A WASTE OF MONEY IN THE V.

ctsvett
07-15-05, 05:29 PM
My suggestion with the cleansweep was to cut the amp out of the picure all together using the low level outputs from the radio (connector C3- right/left +/- outputs) and route those direct to the cleansweep.

What you would lose:
-Speed sensitive volume
-Navigation voice (I dont use this anyway)
-Ability to fade front/back (I think R/L would still work)
-DSP (no eq anymore- but your aftermarket system should have that anyway)
-No onstar via the radio (I dont have onstar)

Alot to give up, but if you are like me and dont use onstar, dont use the nav voice, and can set up better DSP using aftermarket components, it may work.

I HAVE NOT tried this (nor thought it through compeltly), so don't anyone go out and do it yet (unless you are brave). It's just an idea to keep the existing radio/nav but get much improved sound quality using amps and external components.

Thoughts?

Reed

LV_V
07-15-05, 06:17 PM
To make this work you must first find out if the audio signal is analog or digital going from the nav/radio unit to the Bose amps in the rear of the car. If it is digital, which I think it probably is, then you're out of luck. If it is analog, on the other hand, then you have a chance that the Cleansweep may work. The other problem, if this signal happens to be analog, is that the audio signal may have already been split into more than four channels, which will make the Cleansweep useless in an overall system design. Using the JL processing on only 4 channels out of a possible 5 (or more) will make the system sound very odd, to say the least.

But hey, it wouldn't hurt for someone to try. When it doesn't work you will have only lost some time and money.

ctsvett
07-16-05, 07:08 AM
There is a 2 channel (right and left- + and -) coming from the head unit to the amp... The configuration of the amp processing (dsp, etc) is sent via the class II (usually) which would lead me to believe that this is an analog signal. Also since there is a NON-bose version of the radio, I think they would keep it analog.

Someone shoudl try.. I will help when/where I can. Unless someone wants to buy the cleansweep for me (even though i no longer have my many amps and speakers). I can give it a whirl

Reed

First Class Motoring
07-25-05, 03:42 AM
HI, I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE A 05 CTS V AND I HAVE A CAR AUDIO SHOP IN CA. I INSTALLED A COMPLETE SOUND SYSTEM IN MY CAR AND I USED THE JL AUDIO CLEAN SWEEP AND IT MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE.THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT IT IS THAT IT CALIBRATES THE FRONT CH. ONLY BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY CH. THAT'S FULL RANGE.I'LL TRY TO POST SOME PICS. WHEN I'M DONE WITH THE COMPLETE INSTALL.:thumbsup:

ctsvett
07-25-05, 04:08 AM
where in CA are you?

send me an e-mail lets try and figure something out.
ctsvett@verizon.net

Reed

First Class Motoring
07-25-05, 11:02 PM
I'm In North Hollywood Ca. You Can Call Me @ My Shop 818 535 0015 If You Need Anything.