: Throttle Body

tryn2befree
11-07-03, 02:33 PM
I took my '00 STS in to have a few things looked at, (all of which should be covered under warranty, you would think...only having 33,400 mi.)one being a rough idle on startup and fluctuating idle at temp...What I got from the dealer was, "you need to have your throttle body cleaned" @ $150 I figure I could do it myself, so the question is:

A.) is this an easy do-it-yourself task that can be completed with a can of carb cleaner? And, is it necessary to take the whole TB off and go over it with a toothbrush?

elwesso
11-07-03, 02:58 PM
Id recomment taking off the TB, but you can clean it pretty dectent on the car..... Just get a can of carb cleaner, and go nuts!!!! TB removal is easy also, just depends on what you want...... I wouldnt think at this mileage that its bad enough to need to take it off......

Just open the throttle plate WOT (car off, obviously) and start wiping down with a soft brush and/or towel....

Dubya
11-07-03, 03:01 PM
one thing, don't think elwesso was saying this, but don't just spray tb cleaner in there with the car on, im pretty sure that would run the MAF. that used to be the way to clean a carb. wet the towel down with the carb cleaner and wipe around in there so its all soiled up. wait a while and come back with a aggresive brush

elwesso
11-07-03, 03:05 PM
Actually, its a good idea to occasionally clean the MAF also.... Brake cleaner works best for that...... But no, you DONT wanna spray ANYTHING in there with the car on.... The MAF is a heated wire and if you spray aerosol in there you'll have a very icky fireworks show.....

Id take off as much hardware as you could to get to the TB..... If i recall correctly its on the intake tube, so you could just take that off and your right at the TB......

tryn2befree
11-07-03, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I know about the MAF. I would definitely remove the intake hose etc, and then I was thinking of gett'n a can of the spray and dousing the TB - Is this all the dealers do?

JJhomer83
11-07-03, 03:18 PM
Actually, its a good idea to occasionally clean the MAF also.... Brake cleaner works best for that...... But no, you DONT wanna spray ANYTHING in there with the car on.... The MAF is a heated wire and if you spray aerosol in there you'll have a very icky fireworks show.....

Id take off as much hardware as you could to get to the TB..... If i recall correctly its on the intake tube, so you could just take that off and your right at the TB......

what would happen if you spray tb cleaner with the car running??? any damage short or long term???

elwesso
11-07-03, 03:21 PM
Josh... On your car it woudlnt be a problem..... You just dont wanna spray anything upstream of the MAF..... Thats all......

Its actually a good idea to clean things out every so often..... I am about due for another decarb here real soon......

The dealers probably use an intake fogger... that is, a machine they hook it up to, and it goes in the intake tract, and sprays ionized solvents in there..... I doubt they do manual labor, but im not sure.......

JJhomer83
11-07-03, 03:32 PM
Josh... On your car it woudlnt be a problem..... You just dont wanna spray anything upstream of the MAF..... Thats all......

Its actually a good idea to clean things out every so often..... I am about due for another decarb here real soon......

The dealers probably use an intake fogger... that is, a machine they hook it up to, and it goes in the intake tract, and sprays ionized solvents in there..... I doubt they do manual labor, but im not sure.......

sorry wes i need MAF defined and explained. (BTW wes is the smartest 17 yr old i know when it comes to cars) I am so fing jelous

But does we know cell phones like i do (im such a geek)

elwesso
11-07-03, 03:42 PM
No, I dont know cell phones, and all I care to know about them is how to make calls and change all the features.... Anything outside that I dont really care..... :D

Anyway, the MAF (aka MAFS) is called the Mass Air Flow Sensor..... The MAF measures the intake air flow rate...... When air flows over the hot film element, it is cooled, and the heat reduction depends on the airflow.... Therefore, it is necessary to supply more voltage to the wire to maintain the temperature....... The ECU then detects the change in voltage and then translates this into a calculation of air into the plenum....

But, your car doesnt have a MAF (Josh), so it doesnt matter..... Im pretty sure that the MAF on cadillacs (northstar/4.9) didnt come until OBDII (96)

JJhomer83
11-07-03, 03:54 PM
thanks wes

97blkeldo
02-07-04, 05:26 PM
ive done the tb clean. i took the tb off the car though, to do this u must remove the air intake assembly. then remove the three harnesses, one on the mass air then 2 on the tb. unbolt the mass air. remove bolts for throttle cables, then remove the coolant lines that run through the tb(MAKE SURE U RELEASE THE PRESSURE B4 U DO THIS) then unbolt the tb.