: Volant Intake Owners, A Request

slk230mb
07-09-05, 05:16 PM
Can you guys take pictures of the setup on your trucks for me please? As some of you may know I added the intake to my truck and was not satisified with the way it sounded. Looking under my hood today to add some washer fluid I noticed that the rubber tube that connects the MAF to the rest of the intake was not on correctly. Looking at it futher it seems that if the rubber sleeve was about .5 - 1" longer the fit would be better. Before I email Volant I just wanted to see some pics of the way it's supposed to be installed. Thanks.

fast66
07-09-05, 05:28 PM
I do not have pics...but what noise was yours making and was it coming straight out of the exhaust?

slk230mb
07-09-05, 05:33 PM
I do not have pics...but what noise was yours making and was it coming straight out of the exhaust?

It was making a loud noise/vibraton between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms. I heard it in the cabin, never out of the exhaust. I fixed it for now, but it loosened up again after I got home after a test drive. I just want to know if I screwed up the install or if the rubber sleeve should be a little longer.

slk230mb
07-10-05, 02:41 PM
Well, I just took off the Volant intake and all I can say is that I am glad I did. I forgot how quiet the truck is with the stock intake. If any one wants a good deal on a used (2k miles) Volant intake, PM me.

DBrisson
07-10-05, 05:23 PM
I was thinking of buying the volant for and 04, Is the intake noise that bad? What would you want for yours? Any drivability concerns? If the hose was falling of did you get any debris in the intake?

D.Brisson 04 Escade AMD inside

slk230mb
07-10-05, 05:27 PM
I was thinking of buying the volant for and 04, Is the intake noise that bad? What would you want for yours? Any drivability concerns? If the hose was falling of did you get any debris in the intake?

D.Brisson 04 Escade AMD inside

It was amplified intake noise, like a sucking in of the air. No debris got it, I just never had the clamp on correctly :banghead: (realized as I was taking it off). As for $, PM me an offer. I'm not looking to make out like a bandit, just re-coop some losses.

Boombotz
07-10-05, 05:44 PM
It was amplified intake noise, like a sucking in of the air. No debris got it, I just never had the clamp on correctly :banghead: (realized as I was taking it off). As for $, PM me an offer. I'm not looking to make out like a bandit, just re-coop some losses.

Any noticable changes in performance or gas mileage?

slk230mb
07-10-05, 06:04 PM
Any noticable changes in performance or gas mileage?

With the Volant on the engine revd up quicker and I got about .5-1mpg more.

hcvone
07-11-05, 06:58 AM
You can barely hear my Volant, I do have Corsa Touring but even with the radio off you are hard pressed to hear any t-body noise unless your foot in on the floor.

slk230mb
07-11-05, 01:53 PM
You can barely hear my Volant, I do have Corsa Touring but even with the radio off you are hard pressed to hear any t-body noise unless your foot in on the floor.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule.

hcvone
07-12-05, 07:19 AM
I guess I'm the exception to the rule.

Just don't know why yours was so loud, confused

slk230mb
07-12-05, 07:33 AM
Just don't know why yours was so loud, confused

It wouldn't be my mileage would it? I'm closing in on 72k.

RobertCTS
07-12-05, 09:08 AM
It was making a loud noise/vibraton between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms. I heard it in the cabin, never out of the exhaust. I fixed it for now, but it loosened up again after I got home after a test drive. I just want to know if I screwed up the install or if the rubber sleeve should be a little longer.

Slk,
You may wanna visit the CTS Forum. It has a thread on this same problem. Vibrations and all. It's headed up by Tomm.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45488

crusher
07-12-05, 09:53 AM
My Volant is also very loud, especially if you get into the accelerator at all. My friends is the same way. I'm also thinking of removing mine. it sounds like the old four barrel days withour an air cleaner.

RobertCTS
07-12-05, 10:21 AM
I don't know how similar your airbox is to the CTS but a lot of us have adapted the Fram AirHog. It used the same filter medium as the Volant & K&N but it retains the internal "muffler" tube to reduce noise and drone. Cost for the AirHog is about $45. Here's a link. It's about 6 pages long as there is a lot of interest in this mod.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38735

slk230mb
07-12-05, 10:27 AM
Slk,
You may wanna visit the CTS Forum. It has a thread on this same problem. Vibrations and all. It's headed up by Tomm.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45488

Yea, I noticed that thread. Mine was making the noise just like it was for Tomm. It's off the truck and I'm enjoying the quietness again.

hcvone
07-12-05, 11:58 AM
It wouldn't be my mileage would it? I'm closing in on 72k.

Should make no difference. All my customers have exhaust with the Volant, my exhaust is not loud, but it is louder than stock, but the only tyime I hear the Volant is 3/4 to full throttle.

hcvone
07-12-05, 12:00 PM
For vibration make sure that the Volant plastic tubing in not touching the t-body, there has to be a gap or you will get vibrations

Z71
07-12-05, 12:12 PM
Bottom line is many don't like the noise while others think its ok. I did not buy my CTS from a street rod, nor my truck. I would never replace the stock exhaust with anything other than stock either

I am going to remove mine from my 2004 because of the noise. I think a different air filter might solve the problem or at least reduce the noise but there is nothing out there for the Volant but the Volant filter. A paper filter would reduce the noise I would bet over those cotton guaze.

There is a guy here with a custom exhaust and K&N filter pac., He thinks his truck does not make any noise either but if you ask me, it would drive me nuts.

One person noise is anothers music.

wht2000
07-12-05, 12:18 PM
I've been reading this thread and was wondering....what is the principle behind cold-air intakes and do they really enhance performance? Also, what about throttle body spacers? I have a 2000 so it still has throttle body FI. Any answers would help. Thanks.

Ken

BIG SPENDER
07-12-05, 12:25 PM
Has anyone seen the "True Flow" air intake kit? you re use most of the factory components, the filter and air tube to throttle body changes. Does any one have this on their trucks??

RobertCTS
07-12-05, 12:34 PM
One person noise is anothers music.

Well said!:yup: I like what I have. My wife grins at me and says, "You like the sound don't you?" She mean for her, the noise.

RobertCTS
07-12-05, 12:51 PM
I've been reading this thread and was wondering....what is the principle behind cold-air intakes and do they really enhance performance? Also, what about throttle body spacers? I have a 2000 so it still has throttle body FI. Any answers would help. Thanks.
Ken

Ken,
Detroit has thought so for years. Back in the '60 cold air ram systems were a big hit. Mustang went as far as cutting a hole in the hood for clean cold air. Not only is it clean the cooler air is more dense resulting in better combustion. Here's some pics of the Mustang and the Olds 442 ram air.

wht2000
07-12-05, 03:44 PM
That would explain the Ram Air III and Ram Air IV motors in the late 60"s GTO's. When you mentioned the ram air systems, it all came back to me...now I guess they just call it something else. By the way...sweet 442!!

hcvone
07-13-05, 11:06 AM
My Volant is also very loud, especially if you get into the accelerator at all. My friends is the same way. I'm also thinking of removing mine. it sounds like the old four barrel days withour an air cleaner.

Crusher, I am very suprised that you and "your friend" at your age can even hear, and you are dating yourself with the 4 barrel and no air cleaner thing. :p :p :drinker

crusher
07-14-05, 11:06 AM
Crusher, I am very suprised that you and "your friend" at your age can even hear, and you are dating yourself with the 4 barrel and no air cleaner thing. :p :p :drinker
Four barrel- no air cleaner....I read that in a book about the olden days:bonkers:
Imagine how loud that Volant would be if I could actually hear as good as you:disappoin

RobertCTS
07-14-05, 11:37 AM
Four barrel- no air cleaner....I read that in a book about the olden days:bonkers:
Imagine how loud that Volant would be if I could actually hear as good as you:disappoin

I use to do it. Sure sounded fast!! JT would say it was the placebo affect. Probably was.:D Use to rev up the engine at the carb to. Sometimes it would backfire and burn your eyebrows off. Shade tree mecanics are a thing of the past. :o

hcvone
07-14-05, 11:45 AM

I was just out driving the Escalade, the only time I can hear any t-body noise is 3/4 to full throttle. Did you open the top by removing the 4 screws to look at the filter, make sure it is attached, I have read some people's has fallen off the end of the tube, that would cause it to make more noise

crusher
07-14-05, 02:10 PM
I was just out driving the Escalade, the only time I can hear any t-body noise is 3/4 to full throttle. Did you open the top by removing the 4 screws to look at the filter, make sure it is attached, I have read some people's has fallen off the end of the tube, that would cause it to make more noise
Just checked it and it is securely attached. Maybe it is you that doesn't hear so good.......:hmm:

hcvone
07-14-05, 05:21 PM
Just checked it and it is securely attached. Maybe it is you that doesn't hear so good.......:hmm:

What did you say? I can't hear you :helpless: :helpless: