: "Reduced Engine Power" (Long)

2005V
07-09-05, 01:28 PM
I was cruising along uneventfully on my way from Ohio to White Plains, NY via the PA Turnpike on Wednesday when my nav displays "Reduced Engine Power." My rpms instantly drop below 2K and I somehow manage to avoid becoming one with the front end of the semi that is behind me and make my way to the shoulder.

The car is now idling like a washing machine that is out of balance so I shut it down. I immediately get out of the car and check my fluid levels and for puddles beneath the car. Nothing. The temps were all within normal operating range and no additional messages accompanied the "Reduced Engine Power" warning to give me a clue of what was going on. I let it sit for a few minutes and start it up again with the same results. Time to call OnStar.

OnStar runs a probe and then gleefully tells me that they can find nothing wrong with the car. I explain the situation again and they ask me if I want a tow. I decline for the time being hoping that I can figure this out on my own w/o having my supercharged V rolled into a dealer's service bay while hearing the dreaded "warranty, what warranty?" speech. Several minutes go by and I am joined by a PA Trooper. He is a gear head and spends a few minutes with me admiring my mods while I try to figure out what the heck is going on. He tells me about a decommissioned turnpike tunnel somewhere in the area that is now used by some race car driver for testing and then moves along.

I call OnStar again and ask them for a tow. The car winds up going to Kenny Ross Chevrolet/Cadillac in Somerset, PA. The dealership is closed when I arrive so I fill out the paperwork and drop my keys into the night box.

The next morning at 8am sharp, I call in and speak with Alan in their service department. I explain what happened and tell him just to let me know the results of the diagnostic before proceeding and to, under no circumstances, re-flash my computer. He mentions the mods and I tell him that I have 10K+ miles of trouble free operation with them and that I can't imagine that anything I have added is at fault. He leaves me with "I'll see what I can do."

Alan calls a few hours later and tells me that the diagnostic has discovered that the tach motor in the throttle body has gone bad and that the entire throttle body will be replaced under warranty. The part is overnighted and I am on my way the next evening. We talked for about 10 minutes about how much he liked my mods and about the cars he owns. Thank God there are still some folks out there that will not make a huge issue about mods!

The point of this long post is, first and foremost, to inform all of you of a problem that you may run into. I had never considered it although I now recall having a friend who had this happen in his Corvette. I also wanted to sing the praises of this dealership and let you know that there are 2 V's sitting on their new car lot (a fast black one and a slower, but still nice looking, silver one ). If you live in the area, this would be a great place to deal with if all of the service techs are as good as Alan is.

My V has resumed normal operations...

Nick

trekster
07-09-05, 01:44 PM
I was cruising along uneventfully on my way from Ohio to White Plains, NY via the PA Turnpike on Wednesday when my nav displays "Reduced Engine Power." My rpms instantly drop below 2K and I somehow manage to avoid becoming one with the front end of the semi that is behind me and make my way to the shoulder.

The car is now idling like a washing machine that is out of balance so I shut it down. I immediately get out of the car and check my fluid levels and for puddles beneath the car. Nothing. The temps were all within normal operating range and no additional messages accompanied the "Reduced Engine Power" warning to give me a clue of what was going on. I let it sit for a few minutes and start it up again with the same results. Time to call OnStar.

OnStar runs a probe and then gleefully tells me that they can find nothing wrong with the car. I explain the situation again and they ask me if I want a tow. I decline for the time being hoping that I can figure this out on my own w/o having my supercharged V rolled into a dealer's service bay while hearing the dreaded "warranty, what warranty?" speech. Several minutes go by and I am joined by a PA Trooper. He is a gear head and spends a few minutes with me admiring my mods while I try to figure out what the heck is going on. He tells me about a decommissioned turnpike tunnel somewhere in the area that is now used by some race car driver for testing and then moves along.

I call OnStar again and ask them for a tow. The car winds up going to Kenny Ross Chevrolet/Cadillac in Somerset, PA. The dealership is closed when I arrive so I fill out the paperwork and drop my keys into the night box.

The next morning at 8am sharp, I call in and speak with Alan in their service department. I explain what happened and tell him just to let me know the results of the diagnostic before proceeding and to, under no circumstances, re-flash my computer. He mentions the mods and I tell him that I have 10K+ miles of trouble free operation with them and that I can't imagine that anything I have added is at fault. He leaves me with "I'll see what I can do."

Alan calls a few hours later and tells me that the diagnostic has discovered that the tach motor in the throttle body has gone bad and that the entire throttle body will be replaced under warranty. The part is overnighted and I am on my way the next evening. We talked for about 10 minutes about how much he liked my mods and about the cars he owns. Thank God there are still some folks out there that will not make a huge issue about mods!

The point of this long post is, first and foremost, to inform all of you of a problem that you may run into. I had never considered it although I now recall having a friend who had this happen in his Corvette. I also wanted to sing the praises of this dealership and let you know that there are 2 V's sitting on their new car lot (a fast black one and a slower, but still nice looking, silver one ). If you live in the area, this would be a great place to deal with if all of the service techs are as good as Alan is.

My V has resumed normal operations...

Nick I got that error while I was driving a few weeks ago. It was that the maf plug was disconnected.

urbanski
07-09-05, 02:08 PM
sweet dude!! :cheers:

thebigjimsho
07-09-05, 02:53 PM
There must be something with Pennsylvania highways and cars breaking down. My SHO started hesitating in northern PA and would hiccup more and more often as I drove along. No CEL, nothing. If I stopped and turned off the car, it would run fine for a little while and then resume hiccuping.

Finally, in Mechanicsburgh(of all places), the SHO was just too sapped to go any further. We had a convoy of people that day, with some buddies making the trip(to Kentucky BTW) the next day. One of the things we guessed was the MAF, which was an aftermarket Pro-Flow 75mm. We made a call to a friend who brought down the stock I had at home that next day. Voila.

Except for my Honda, every vehicle I've owned had a MAF problem. And it feels bad when it's failing. At least it's always nice that it's not a big ticket item. Glad to see it was the same for you too.

Dreamin
07-09-05, 03:03 PM
Great Post 2005V :thumbsup:

OldRoadDawg
07-10-05, 06:09 PM
There must be something with Pennsylvania highways and cars breaking down.

My dentist loves PA's highways, because the potholes and expansion joints are always rattling the fillings loose in my teeth. :D

VELOSE
07-10-05, 07:54 PM
Thanks 2005V for the write-up. One less worry for us clueless when or if that happens to us.:)

b4z
07-10-05, 10:00 PM
Had that happen in my 157,000 mile(at the time) Camaro in the Bronx.
Car apparently went into limp home mode and wanted to idle at 4000+rpms.
Drove it 900 miles back to SC. Every time I needed to shift I would push the clutch in and pull up on the gas pedal so the revs would come down.
By the time I got back to SC both sides of the car were brown with brake dust.
Dealer said the throttle body was worn out. Explains why the throttle was sticking. $500 repair.

cdog533
07-10-05, 10:58 PM
Same thing happened to me at 1K. Car becomes an instant paperweight.

Malt22
08-04-05, 03:54 PM
Same thing happened to my '05 V, 1 WEEK, after taking delivery. I got it into the dealership about a week and a half later after having no further problems. They ran diagnostics, found a few problems, the biggest one being the pedal sensor (drive by wire module??). Apparently this is not a GM part and they supposedly have been having problems with it. That was 4 weeks ago, and still no part available and no car :nono:. Apparently the part truly is not available (had a family friend check stock) however, I cant imagine that I am the only one with this problem. GM has agreed to pay my payment for this month, but I just want my car back. Am I the only one that this has happened too??