: Any confirmed changes for 2006 besides the LS2 and no GGC?

verbs
07-09-05, 12:54 AM
I'm in the market for a CTS-V in the next few months and am torn between a used 2005 steel grey or waiting for a new one. I'm terrified about getting this car and having the rear end constantly taking dumps on me being that this car will not stay anywhere close to stock and will have drag radials.

I've heard rumors that the 06 may have a revised rear end, but is there any confirmation to this? Any other changes worth waiting for?

seanr56
07-09-05, 02:18 AM
I have heard that the expected changes include a revised rear end that should reduce the wheel hop and strengthen the diff. I personally am not too worried about the rear diff because we will all be purchasing an aftermarket diff as soon as a good one becomes available. I can't yet prove that the rear end will be revised. What we do know, however, is that the 2006 CTS-V will have the LS2. To me, if there is any reason to wait for the 06, that is it. The 06 V's will definitely be quicker and will have a higher hp ceiling even if they come with the same 400 hp stock. Also, it produces more torque and has a bigger/flatter torque curve. If you are racing at the track, the LS2 has a better oil uptake system that will allow the engine to continue to pick up oil during hard cornering. I have heard that the LS1/6 can be oil starved while cornering at the track. I only run my LS1 on the street so I have not had this problem. Check out this link:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0405htp_ls2/

I would definitely wait for the 06.

akm2k5
07-09-05, 02:23 AM
if the ls2s are supposed to be quicker vs the ctsv's ls6, then why do we see a lot of mag times getting faster times on the CTSV rather than the ls2 GTO? (gtos weigh less).

seanr56
07-09-05, 02:28 AM
if the ls2s are supposed to be quicker vs the ctsv's ls6, then why do we see a lot of mag times getting faster times on the CTSV rather than the ls2 GTO? (gtos weigh less).

The GTO's only weigh 125 pounds less. Because the LS2 is a newer engine than the LS1/6, there are WAY more mods available for the LS1/6. When the mods are in full swing for the LS2, we will all be forgetting about the LS1/6.

We have had a long discussion about which engine is preferable and different people like different engines for different reasons. After reading that article (and a few others) I am convinced that the newer engine is better. It usually is. :thumbsup:

verbs
07-09-05, 04:10 AM

On that note, even though they weigh about the same, the C5ZO6 with the LS6 motor is about .2/2mph faster than LS2 C6 Corvette in the 1/4 mile. Even GM admits the C5ZO6 is faster than the C6.

Has anyone been talking about coming out with a new rear end anytime in the near future? The stage III KARS kit seems like a good bandaid, but not much else.

seanr56
07-09-05, 04:45 AM
Well, the C5 ZO6 was only 61 pounds lighter than the C6 so it is not the weight. According to the articles I have read, the C6 Corvette was given a less aggressive cam than the C5 ZO6 to give the engine a smoother idle and make it a more refined daily driver. Perhaps they lost a little in the process despite the increase in displacement.

PneuBird
07-09-05, 04:53 AM
Yea....but what gear ratios are you running in the rear of the Z06 and the C5LS2 vettes.......lets compare apples to apples!! :cool:

seanr56
07-09-05, 04:55 AM
I always forget about the damn gear ratios. :annoyed:
I bet they are the same though.

verbs
07-09-05, 05:09 AM
Yea....but what gear ratios are you running in the rear of the Z06 and the C5LS2 vettes.......lets compare apples to apples!! :cool:

Identical gear ratios in the C5ZO6 and the C6 Vettes (with the Z51 package).

GNSCOTT
07-09-05, 11:08 AM
The LS6 in the Z06 is 405HP (5 more) and weighs less. Not sure if the transmission and rear gear ratios are the same. The LS2 is no faster than the LS6.

thebigjimsho
07-09-05, 11:41 AM
The GTO's only weigh 125 pounds less. Because the LS2 is a newer engine than the LS1/6, there are WAY more mods available for the LS1/6. When the mods are in full swing for the LS2, we will all be forgetting about the LS1/6.

We have had a long discussion about which engine is preferable and different people like different engines for different reasons. After reading that article (and a few others) I am convinced that the newer engine is better. It usually is. :thumbsup:The last time I checked, the GTO vs. V vs. SRT-8 comparo included all STOCK vehicles, so mods have nothing to do with this.

The newer engine is not necessarily better.

GNSCOTT
07-09-05, 01:04 PM
Guys, stop with the more diplacement will mean it can handle more Hp because that is just plain BS< The rods and pistons are the same, the crank is the same and they can all together handle about 500hp safely. A stock Buick Grand NAtionals 3.8 can handle 500HP just as safely. Same basic block, same mediocre parts inside.

urbanski
07-09-05, 01:46 PM
LOL

Hey guys this thread is now about BEER
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8755/4469wd.th.jpg (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4469wd.jpg)

ctsvett
07-09-05, 02:22 PM
aside from the above metnioned above:

Few confirmed pieces of information for the 2006 CTS-V:
1. NO automatic transmission- it simply will not fit in the chassis
2. LS2 engine
3. “Improved” rear suspension to “reduce” wheel hop.
4. The car will be released on or about 9/19
5. Cosmetic differences:
a. Wheel center caps: colored Caddy Crest on black lacquer background
b. A small "GM" badge located on both fenders between the trailing edge of the wheel opening and the fender-to-door gap

Also...
Improved pcm program to reduce "clunks"

More details to follow…..

Thats why everyone should subscribe to the FAQ newsletter.... But I post it all here anyway..

Reed

verbs
07-09-05, 04:24 PM
aside from the above metnioned above:

Few confirmed pieces of information for the 2006 CTS-V:
3. “Improved” rear suspension to “reduce” wheel hop.

Also...
Improved pcm program to reduce "clunks"

More details to follow…..
Is this a for sure thing or speculation?

V-Max
07-09-05, 11:16 PM
That is until the comparison moves to the road course where some time is spent in the mid range where the LS2 excels.

My stock '05 GTO is within one second of my old V with 255mm Dunlop SP Race tires at Nelson ledges. Some of the effect on times is the V's shorter gear ratio cause it to be shifted a few more times on a lap.

Remember too that the GTO is under tired with 245mm 400 wear rating, all season mud + snow tires. The TM(torque management) is programmed around these tires. GM does not want the GTO bumping performance of the $15K more C6. :)

Norm

The LS6 in the Z06 is 405HP (5 more) and weighs less. Not sure if the transmission and rear gear ratios are the same. The LS2 is no faster than the LS6.

WA 2 FST
07-10-05, 12:14 AM
Remember too that the GTO is under tired with 245mm 400 wear rating, all season mud + snow tires. The TM(torque management) is programmed around these tires. GM does not want the GTO bumping performance of the $15K more C6. :)

Norm

Please tell me that you are not inferring that if the GTO had top-of-the-line Z-rated tires that it would be on par with a C6 Vette...on the road course, in a straight-line or anywhere else.

The GTO is a great car, but it will not perform as well as a 2-seat sports car...if nothing else the fact that it gives up 600+lbs.

J.E.T.
07-10-05, 12:26 AM
You've got to be kidding me......no auto tranny for the '06? Say it ain't so........

JET

chiro444
07-10-05, 01:32 AM
Is GM going to offer to change out the parts in the 04 and 05 V's with the 06's to make the rear end less hop happy?

seanr56
07-10-05, 02:07 AM
You've got to be kidding me......no auto tranny for the '06? Say it ain't so........

JET

If you want a slushbox auto tranny then go buy an STS. :suspect:

PneuBird
07-10-05, 04:08 AM
Damm Guys....if you ain't using a clutch; you can't "Beat the Cubes" properly!!!! :burn:

verbs
07-12-05, 01:06 AM
Is GM going to offer to change out the parts in the 04 and 05 V's with the 06's to make the rear end less hop happy?boy do I hope so :)