: 2001 Deville oil distribution manifold plate seal leak

960deville
02-05-14, 09:57 PM
Help......completed insert install and reseal on 01 Deville and after 4000 miles observed sealant being pushed out at oil pan seam. Could it be a faulty PCV valve?

MoistCabbage
02-05-14, 10:04 PM
What does this have to do with pistons?

It looks like too much sealant was used initially, hard to tell if it's being pushed out or not.

Submariner409
02-05-14, 10:15 PM
Let's move this to its own thread. Pistons ??? transmission ?

Looks like the oil distribution manifold seal has given up. You're supposed to install a new distribution plate .................. MC might be right. Way too much goop. If it oozed out like that outside before curing, what's now in the oil pump pickup screen ?

Ranger
02-05-14, 10:36 PM
If it oozed out like that outside before curing, what's now in the oil pump pickup screen ?
Isn't that what happened to ChazGlenn and ended up costing him a motor due to oil starvation?

97EldoCoupe
02-05-14, 10:48 PM
Is that pan cracked? That sealant oozing out looks like it oozed out of a hairline crack. Just my $.05 (no pennies in this country anymore, nickel is the smallest denomination).

The SKRL cast pans have a very weak flange, doesn't take much to crack them.

Did you use a gasket and sealant for the oil pan? Or just sealant?

----------

I always use a new pan gasket (GM OEM, not Fel-Pro) with a thin bead of GM sealant on the outside edge. The gasket prevents any sealant from squeezing inside the engine, and offers one sealing interface. The GM sealant serves as the second sealing interface.

98eldo32v
02-06-14, 05:46 AM
Whoever did that re-seal used WAAAYYY too much sealant.

Wow.......

Better for it to be oozing out, hopefully it hasn't oozed IN.......

Submariner409
02-06-14, 09:01 AM
Did you use a gasket and sealant for the oil pan? Or just sealant?

That begs the question: Why, after time and 4000 miles, has the sealant (RTV) not cured ?

Does anyone have a link to the GM TSB that outlines the new reseal procedure ?

960deville
02-06-14, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys for the coaching….I probably did screw up with the reseal and used too much sealant. I tried to follow the bead height of .117 inches on mating surfaces per the SB. The local Cadillac garage Northstar mechanic told me that he typically uses approximately 2 tubes of the GM 88861417 2.65 oz sealant for a reseal. I used a little bit less than that so I thought I was good. With the engine on a stand, I used degreaser and alcohol on all sealing surfaces until it met the white glove test. Oh well……
Anyway, once I got the Deville on the road I would periodically put the car on my lift and check for leaks. Just recently I noticed the sealant being pushed out at one spot on the corner of the pan. Almost as if the crankcase was being pressurized. I pulled the dipstick and installed a pressure gauge but saw nothing significant at idle. I did not check it above idle yet. I have pushed the engine rpm’s a couple times while driving. I’m not sure what’s going on…..