: Stock tire discussion

ahahnu
07-08-05, 04:47 PM
I would like to know what you(s) think about our stock tire care. I just change the rears as they were way more worn then the fronts. I know I should have rotated them more (maybe), I mean I have 10,000 miles on my car, and rotated them at 5,000. What tire pressure do you all keep it at? Since changing them, my right front, and left rear heat up slower then the other two. My rears that I took off, are bald from about one inch in on one side to just over the middle of the tire, the rest is fine. I just don't get it. I like the tires, the fact that they are run flat is cool, they are super sticky and I can see why that is a factor in the wheel hop. They do grip the road really well. Should I rotate them more?

RobzBLKV
07-08-05, 05:29 PM
You should rotate them more if it's easy to do and you want to scrape the maximum life out of them. But with the wear you describe, it sounds like your car is out of alignment.

Most people here don't like the run flats and tons of people choose something else when it comes time to replace them. There are options to get different run flats and options that are not run flats (of course). Some people buy a wheel for a spare, some people carry a can of gop, and some people risk getting stranded with a flat.

07-08-05, 05:54 PM
I have 8500 miles with a good amount of meat left. The rear alignment on my car was checked and corrected at about 4K miles. I keep the pressure at about 32 psi cold in winter (measured in warm garage), 30 psi cold in summer(measured in cool garage).

I think that caddy is now recommending rotations at 2k miles.

Dreamin
07-08-05, 06:00 PM
I think that caddy is now recommending rotations at 2k miles.

That's old information... the newest recommendation is to rotate every 20 miles.

GNSCOTT
07-08-05, 06:02 PM
I think an alignment every 3k miles is a better idea.:suspect:

07-08-05, 06:06 PM
That's old information... the newest recommendation is to rotate every 20 miles.

I think that is only if you get the revolving axle conveyor option which allows pushbutton tire rotation. Or perhaps you are mistaking the rear differential replacement schedule for the tire rotation schedule.

seanr56
07-08-05, 06:16 PM
I think that is only if you get the revolving axle conveyor option which allows pushbutton tire rotation. Or perhaps you are mistaking the rear differential replacement schedule for the tire rotation schedule.

20K? That is way too long to rotate any tire that I have ever owned. I just change my oil every 3K and rotate my tires every other oil change to keep it simple. It works fine and a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 should last 3K.

07-08-05, 06:44 PM
20K? That is way too long to rotate any tire that I have ever owned. I just change my oil every 3K and rotate my tires every other oil change to keep it simple. It works fine and a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 should last 3K.

I believe that you may have misread, and missed some huge gobs of sarcasm.
(or I missed it in yours!)

20 MILES, not 20K.....and I was referring to replacement of the differential, not the diff fluid.....

seanr56
07-08-05, 06:47 PM
I misread. 20 miles - got it.

Here we go:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/rmaint.html

:welcome:

ahahnu
07-08-05, 06:50 PM
I'm getting ready to get a town houser with a garage, and I wanted to treat myself to a jack and a torque wrench. I will never even step foot in Sears again (long story and I urge others to do the same) so I was gonna buy a snap on, but they are $300 to $400. what is the correct size and lb-ft to get? Then I can rotate everyday after I get home.

wildwhl
07-08-05, 06:50 PM

Buy a Maggie, you can "spin align" the rears at will :devil:

Drive the crap out of the car and it doesn't matter - driving habits will wear them out faster than alignment issues. Trust me, I know :hide:

RobzBLKV
07-08-05, 07:49 PM
There is not reason to change the oil every 3k miles when it is synthetic! Wait, wrong thread . . .

I rotate them often. I will have the car aligned when I change the tires. I thought it was going to be at 5k, but I must have slowed down for the past 2k or so. Oh yeah - the wife is pregnant and she complains if we drive agressively now. :( Puts off the tire expense though.

Rich H
07-08-05, 11:29 PM
Excessive toe-in will wear tires quicker than anything else short of burnouts- whether runflats or not. Rotating the tires every 2000 miles helps to distibute the wear, of course, but an alignment is a must.

I should have had it done when my second set of F1 EMTs were mounted. Instead I waited for ~4000 miles and 2 rotations and after noting the excessive wear on the outside tread I had it aligned. I discovered my toe-in was set at +.48 deg total which was too high (spec is 0 to +.40 deg total toe-in). It was readjusted to +.08 deg and I suspect the tire wear will be more even now. Handling has been unaffected by the adjustment.

Dave's V
07-08-05, 11:38 PM
I agree, every V owner should have their alignment checked. My toe in was out of spec also. Since the runcraps don't last long it only took a few thousand miles to prove it.

3000 is good for rotation, unless your rear tires already have more meat on them than the fronts.

In a few months, my runflats will be history. My spare rim is waiting for a tire.

V-Beach
07-09-05, 08:04 AM
My right front is wearing out in the center, not the edges. What is causing that? Pressure with gauge is 30 all around.