: onstar & XM

janicenatale
07-08-05, 02:44 PM
I am wondering how many of you have renewed your onstar and/or XM service after the initial free period expired. If so why? and if not, why not?

fast66
07-08-05, 02:47 PM
too expensinve the only thing I used onstar for was calling. onstar sucks.

Sycosis
07-08-05, 06:29 PM
Renewed both. We take long trips and both are nice additions. Onstar has helped on many occasions from finding a restaurant to providing directions. If you can afford a caddy you can afford XM and Onstar.

Rolex
07-08-05, 06:37 PM
I've also renewed both. OnStar has managed to unlock my doors twice in the past year. That alone was worth the money spent, to avoid the aggravation of waiting on a locksmith or someone to bring me a spare set of keys. I agree XM radio is great for long trips. XM and CDs are all I listen to anymore.

Boombotz
07-08-05, 07:36 PM
I renewed mine for a little while. And relized XM was not worth it. Didn't enjoy it enough to justify itself. As for the Onstar I still have it, and the wife likes it for the piece of mind. I do not have the more expensive plan. (directions and connections) If I didn't have the stock navigation system I would have that plan.

ItsAdam1
07-09-05, 02:00 AM
renewed both

But thinking of canceling onstar. Onstar says they changed there policies so when you use them to make dinner reservations they conference you into the call to the restaurant. Which I personally this is a PIA b/c If I wanted to talk to the restaurant myself I would have just called them from damn my cell phone. Dose anyone else have this problem? Thats not what I pay $150 extra a year for directions and connections.

I did at one time have the luxury and leisure package, now that was pretty cool. but not worth the money.

As far as XM it worth the money so many local stations play the same music over & over & over & over & over. At least with XM u have about 100+ channels now.

1knight1
07-26-05, 03:28 AM
I dont have the XM option but I did renew my onstar. Use it a few times, finding restaurants, malls, and movie theatres. Use it once to find and book a hotel.

hcvone
07-26-05, 09:06 AM
I renewed OnStar for the phone funtion, NJ has the no cell phone law, and it's pretty handy.

Falkolade
07-28-05, 01:11 AM
never used onstar but to try it... just not an onstar fan. I added xm and use it everyday, thats the best feature on the truck, it never gets old.

Sycosis
07-30-05, 09:28 AM
NJ has the no cell phone law,

They do now!

Bear
07-30-05, 04:01 PM
I renewed onstar at the safe and sound level. For those who say they never used it, I have never used my airbag (hope I never will) but I'm not about to remove that or stop wanting one. I like the thought that should I end up in an accident in the middle of nowhere I may not need to wait for someone to discover it. I also like the hands free cell. On that note has anyone tied their Verizon service in? There was something about the newer digital onstar units which allowed something like this.

XM, yea nice to find something you like and can listen to no matter where you are. Considering the cost of satellite ($100 a month), it's not really that expensive.

Bear

Synergetic
07-30-05, 04:47 PM
Useless. I got LoJack on my truck for you know why reasons. Thats all I need.

JASP
07-31-05, 11:24 AM
I also like the hands free cell. On that note has anyone tied their Verizon service in? There was something about the newer digital onstar units which allowed something like this.

Bear[/QUOTE]

I think the way this works is you add the truck number as an additional line (9.99) a month + taxes and share minutes with your cell if you have Verizon. To me this just wasn't worth it. I do have a Verizon cell but most of the time I don't talk while in the truck only when I don't have my cell with me. I just bought 100 minutes for 19.99/a year and to me that should hold me I also transfered over 175 from my older truck so I have more then enough minutes to hold me for a year.

I also have onstar and because of having kids and driving alone at times I like knowing that if there is a problem I don't have to figure out where I am when I need help. Well worth the 200.00 a year. As for the XM well right now I have 5 months free I will see if I will buy it for more time when it's up. I really don't like the customer service at this point and I think 14.99 a month is a bit high.....Sami

HUD
07-31-05, 01:33 PM
I have OnStar on both of my vehicles. It has always worked great. We went to the Grand Canyon two months ago-OnStar worked where Verizon didn't.

budpar3
07-31-05, 07:07 PM
Onstar has unlocked my car twice & my wife's once. They made reservations in a 4-Star Montgomery, Al hotel when we were driving late just entering Mobile, Al traveling from Houston, Texas. I called them once when I was driving from Houston to Atlanta and asked them to keep me awake until I could find a place to stop - they did! They fixed a flat by calling a tow truck when my wife drove to Phoenix, Az and gave directions to the local Cadillac dealership for service. They've bought tickets, sent flowers, checked diagnostics when my wife's "Stability system" light came on. I called them when I saw a young woman spin off a rain slicked road, and the police and ambulance were there very quickly. I didn't have to even say the location of the accident because ONSTAR knows the location of my cars! The phone works in areas that our cell will not. We have two Escalades, an ESV and EXT. When driving through west Texas and New Mexico, XM is the only station available! For the safety reasons alone, e.g., air bag deployment notification, EMS services, diagnostics - it is worth the money to me.

ILLNALI
08-02-05, 02:02 AM
xm is great! onstar is whack. Basically a tracking device inside your truck. If your car is stoled by a professional they can disable it in less than 30 seconds. I have seen it done with my own eyes. After seeing that, and the fact that onstar couldn't unlock my doors in a rainstorm. So hopefully if your truck get stolen by an amateur on a dry day with good visibility, you should be alright. I thought the onstar phone is like somehthing ridicoulus like .30 a minute. Onstar is Trash!!!

vjraw
10-05-05, 04:58 PM
Is there a way to hook up your own cell phone or service to the Onstar hardware? That would be usefull.

Stuntless
10-05-05, 11:28 PM
I just bought an 03 Escalade, how do I re-activate Onstar and XM since I'm not the initial buyer?

outofdablue
10-06-05, 04:25 PM
I renew just my onstar. I had my doors unlocked and also used my onstar to track down my truck when it got stolen. It took them about an hour to track the truck down and got it back without a scratch on it, minus the stuff inside the truck. (that alone made me renew it) As for the xm, didn't think it was worth the money.