: Suspension difference from Yukon/Denali

shazam
07-07-05, 10:49 AM
I've noticed the ride in a Cadillac Escalade is much nicer than the Yukon, and even the Denali. Can someone tell me exactly what the suspension changes are between the two trucks? Since the front weight in the Escalade is slightly more than the Yukon (powertrain), that might smooth things out a bit, but I expect there are different springs/shocks involved. Anybody knowledgeable enough to comment on the parts? What if someone wanted to "smooth out" a Yukon with the same parts aftermarket, would that work very well?

Thanks!

Todd

Fast Eddie
07-07-05, 02:48 PM
The front end weight is the same as the 6 liter motor has the same block, the denali has essentially the same motor with changes in compression and tuning mainly. I find that my '05 Denali rides the same as the few '05 regular Escalades I have been in. I would guess that they are probably set up the same. The Yukon has different shocks and springs since it doesn't have the road sensing suspension. I find my EXT rides better than both maybe b/c of the longer wheelbase.

You could try a good set of aftermarket shocks to improve the ride to your tastes, it all depends on what feel you are looking for....

Samboosa
07-07-05, 04:17 PM
I'd guess it's only RSS that differs from the Denali.
Well it is supposed to enhance the ride significantly afterall.

fast66
07-07-05, 07:14 PM
The front end weight is the same as the 6 liter motor has the same block, the denali has essentially the same motor with changes in compression and tuning mainly. I find that my '05 Denali rides the same as the few '05 regular Escalades I have been in. I would guess that they are probably set up the same. The Yukon has different shocks and springs since it doesn't have the road sensing suspension. I find my EXT rides better than both maybe b/c of the longer wheelbase.

You could try a good set of aftermarket shocks to improve the ride to your tastes, it all depends on what feel you are looking for....

What shocks would you put on an ext?

slk230mb
07-07-05, 07:40 PM
Does the Denali have the air shocks in the rear like the Escalade?

Rolex
07-07-05, 10:43 PM
My buddy's 04 Denali has a top heavy feeling that my 03 Lade lacks. This 'sway' is much worse at highway speeds, otherwise the ride is very similar.

The 05 Denali has a rear multi link suspension with coil springs with standard air assisted load leveling.

Boombotz
07-07-05, 10:56 PM

I thought those air shocks were not for ride control but for automaticly leveling the head lights.

dnyce617
07-08-05, 12:27 AM

Yes, at least my 04 does. As far as I know the only difference is RSS, everything else on the truck is pretty much interchangable.

Fast Eddie
07-11-05, 10:41 AM
What shocks would you put on an ext?

The stock ones, I love the way this truck rides.

Shocks are all personal opinion- some are firmer some are soft it all is up to the persons' needs. If you are more performance oriented you would lean to a firmer shock, and vise versa. I find the stock '05s to be a good comprimise