: Changed starter, now very hard start, run, white smoke.

Spyder
07-06-05, 04:44 PM
Starter went out on my 94 STS, so I put the good one out of my old motor in it. I had a shop do it for me, since it went out as I was driving by the shop I sometimes use, and it was a long tow to get it back to my place so I could do it myself. Now it won't start for a good fifteen or so seconds, I have to have it floored to start it, when it does start it misses and sputters and barely runs with the pedal down, and dies if I let the pedal up. LOTS of white smoke out of the exhaust, smells like fuel. I'm guessing its a problem with the fuel system/injectors, since they pulled the intake. They say it isn't their fault, I say it is, as it ran perfectly before I dropped it off. When I went to look at it after the starter was replaced, their tech hadn't hooked up the brake vacuum, nor the pcv lines, which I was kind of pissed about, since they said the job was complete. What are the possibilities of them having done something wrong or knocking something out of place while screwing around with the intake and causing this problem, or do ya'll think it is something different entirely?

EcSTSatic
07-06-05, 05:21 PM
Wasn't there an earlier thread about white smoke that turned out to be a grounded injector? Did the shop pinch any wires on the harness?

here it is (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41102&page=2&pp=20&highlight=white+smoke)

Ranger
07-06-05, 07:50 PM
The FPR and injectors are all in proximity of the starter. If it ran perfectly before they got into it, it has to be their doing. I hate mechanics that screw things up then refuse to admit it and take responsibility for it.

Spyder
07-06-05, 08:58 PM
Yeeup, they had one of the gaskets out of place on the intake, is what they tell me. I got charged for 2.8 hours of work, which I know is a little much for changing a starter, but he's done work in the past where he wayyy under charged me, so I'm ok with it. I just wish he'd have been able to get it done quicker. Oh well, it runs right again, for now... time to go looking for something to trade it on...

Spyder
07-06-05, 11:44 PM
Oh yea...and while it was at the shop, they called to ask if I had an extra set of keys, cause the security lockout was kicking in...my main key doesn't have the little pellet in it, has never needed it, and doesn't need it now. I'm hoping that was just a fluke. But, then again, when I opened the door after pulling the key, the radio stayed on...had to open the passenger door to get it off.

peteski
07-06-05, 11:47 PM
Isn't it funny that cars seem to develop extra problems right after being serviced by a machanic?

:D
Peteski

abreeze
07-07-05, 06:35 PM
my starter went out, had it replaced by The DEALER, 1 day after the repair the fly wheel was ruined...the dealer claimed no responsibility...told em to keep the car and shove it....they fixed it for half price.....750$$....came time for wifes new car::LEXUS...But the STS is still my fav......Dont go to those Classic Asses anymore....Screw me now pay later!!! SO, make sure they didnt screw up the install....there are other car mfg'ers......