: Braking problems

carguy16
07-06-05, 02:32 PM
I have had some intermittent brake issues. I was getting of work around 2:00 AM in the morning, started the car and the ABS/Traction lights came on, drove down the road, at 50 MPH I wanted to see how the brakes would do if I hit them without ABS, I hit the brakes, i know the front wheel(S) locked up, and the back end of the car started pulling out to the right I immediately took my foot of the brake pedal, this was on DRY PAVEMENT too!

I went to a deserted road that was pretty wide, with my ABS still not work, I picked up to 40-45 and slammed on the brake, only this time the front left wheel locked up. I backed up and saw which wheels locked.

I turned around, with the ABS still not working, got up to 40-45 again and slammed on the brake, this time both front wheels locked up. I backed the car up and looked at the skid marks.

At 15-20 MPH, with no abs, I slammed on the brakes and put the car in park and got out, the only wheels that locked were the front wheels with NO ABS.

Ok, I shut the car down, start it up and it resets itself. ABS/TRACTION CONTROL lights go off. I get up to 45-50 an slam on the brakes, for the first time since i owned the car the ABS system came on, the pedal was pulsating and pumping, lockup was minimal. I did this twice with the same result, minimal lockup, non stop pumping till I stopped, but thank fully the back end didnt swing out.

Now, I also have an intermittent problem it seems that the car will pull mildly to the left under some braking conditions, I dont know why.

I think my drums need an adjustment, in the parking lot with it in drive, I take my foot of the brake while its in drive, and shove the parking brake in, it takes about 1.5 seconds to stop, before after the brakes were done I could do that with hot brakes, I would hit the parking brake after taking my foot of the brake and the car would stop instantly, 1 second or less.

Should I take the car to the shop and ask them to look at the brakes. If my ABS/Traction was disabled in the rain, and I hit the brakes, the car would have done a 360 and someone could have t-boned me or I could have taken someone out. Thank fully I was on dry pavement, but it was still suprising as hell to have the rear end swing out, this was the ABS not working remember.

So, if its raining and I hit the brake, I'm scared what will happen, will ABS work, will the rear end swing out and will I lose control??? Once the rear goes, and your doing 40 or so, that sounds slow, but you need alot of room to recover, and theres no way to get traction.

I really want to get some new tires, 255's Pirellis, but dont have the cash now.

Im gonna have to play it even more safe now. :annoyed:

ocjmakaveli
07-06-05, 08:00 PM
for the most part your stock brakes are doing what they are supposed to and they seem ok but your tires do need upgrading with some really good gripping rubber A.S.A.P.

Krashed989
07-07-05, 05:21 AM
Well If the ABS and Traction control lights went on then that means that there is a stored DTC. I would check that, along with the brake fluid level. then I would also reccomend that you get new tires. The tires will not last with you braking so heavily. Your drum brakes may be the self adjusting kind, just press the e-brake and have someone else listening to see if it clicks, if it does then you know its self adjusting and you just keep on pressing the e-brake untill it stops clicking to adjust it.

carguy16
07-07-05, 10:50 AM
Fluids fine, will have to back up and adjust. I already got the DTCs, its the front left, right, and right rear wheel speend sensor. This is intermittent, these light has lit up 2 occassions.

Well If the ABS and Traction control lights went on then that means that there is a stored DTC. I would check that, along with the brake fluid level. then I would also reccomend that you get new tires. The tires will not last with you braking so heavily. Your drum brakes may be the self adjusting kind, just press the e-brake and have someone else listening to see if it clicks, if it does then you know its self adjusting and you just keep on pressing the e-brake untill it stops clicking to adjust it.

N0DIH
07-07-05, 02:35 PM
All 4 tires same size? ABS hates that....

If a set is worn down enough to fall out of spec, ABS will be disabled.

Like a new set on front and a worn set in back, or vice versa... There is a tolerance threshold, but just what it is remains to be documented by GM....

carguy16
07-07-05, 04:19 PM
Yes, they the same size, but have mis-matched treads.

It was the first time ABS has ever activated on the car, the tires have never been rotated since I got it, so I dont know what it is. When I get in my accident, the front left wheel locked, ABS did not come on, isnt it 4 channel? My foot was firmly on the brake at that point, and I didnt remove it.

WHen I hit the brakes the other night and the ABS came on, I had my foot hard on it and didnt remove it till it stopped. I think some times you have to be going faster then a certain speed for it to work.

I know the 00 Ford Taurus has some kick ass ABS, you press hard on the brake really hard for a speed bump, bzzz pulsate, the ABS will come on, I have never locked the wheels, its amazing. The car stops on a dime, I had it come on in the rain when the front wheels started skidding, scary but it pumped the brakes and let the wheels roll. Lots of nose dive, but the braking power is cool. But, it has 215 60-16, the Fleetwood has 235- 70 - 15.

Sidewall diamater, tread wall diameter, and size(15 inch). Could someone explain the first 2, im not quite sure on the size. i know they have low profile 16 inch tires, but what rubs with 255s?

All 4 tires same size? ABS hates that....

If a set is worn down enough to fall out of spec, ABS will be disabled.

Like a new set on front and a worn set in back, or vice versa... There is a tolerance threshold, but just what it is remains to be documented by GM....