: Factory air intake box question

weister42
07-05-05, 05:10 PM
I noticed that my air box wasn't sitting flush against the bottom, there's a cooling fin type of deal under the intake hole, I'm guessing it's some sort of air cooler??? Anyways when I tried to mount it back the two rubber legs doesn't pop into their seats, so is leaving it as is be any problems?

Ranger
07-05-05, 08:57 PM
Just push a little harder or put a light coat of grease on the grommets. What you are looking at under the air box is the PCM and yes it is cooled by intake air.

mcowden
07-06-05, 08:47 AM
Just push a little harder or put a light coat of grease on the grommets. What you are looking at under the air box is the PCM and yes it is cooled by intake air.

Agreed with Ranger, but I would use silicone grease on the grommets because petroleum grease might degrade the rubber. If you look at the bottom of the air box, there are two feet on the left side that make a J shape. On mine, I have to make sure to hook those onto the support frame first, then push straight down on the right side of the box to seat the grommets. It helps if I loosen up the clamp at the MAF to give it a little play. Just make sure you tighten it up again when you're done. I have also accidentally pushed the grommet up through the box before trying to seat them right, so make sure they're sitting in there properly. If the air box sits a little off the thing, I don't think it would be much of a problem unless the temperature is very hot where you are.