: 97 dedan deville speedometer display out...

silverz06vette
11-06-03, 08:46 AM
Dads car 105k miles

Had the tranny rebuilt a few months ago.

We replaced the VSS then before getting the tranny rebuilt.

He replaced it again to see if that would fix the problem and it did not.

Took it to a local garage and they said the computer that controls the speedometer and other stuff is dead. Claims it has to be taken into the dealer for replacement/repair. The dealer is the only place that can reporgram the computer after repair.

Any other ideas? Can one of these computers be bought from a junkyard and then have the dealer reprogram it or can a new one be bought from gmpartsdirect.com and then have the dealer install/program it?

Thanks!

miishmiish
11-06-03, 08:07 PM
Dads car 105k miles

Had the tranny rebuilt a few months ago.

We replaced the VSS then before getting the tranny rebuilt.

He replaced it again to see if that would fix the problem and it did not.

Took it to a local garage and they said the computer that controls the speedometer and other stuff is dead. Claims it has to be taken into the dealer for replacement/repair. The dealer is the only place that can reporgram the computer after repair.

Any other ideas? Can one of these computers be bought from a junkyard and then have the dealer reprogram it or can a new one be bought from gmpartsdirect.com and then have the dealer install/program it?

Thanks!
I had the same problem. These mechanics with basic training and experience don't know shit about caddies and it took me 6 mechanics to realize it. First, I changed the speed sensor, and that was a waste of time. Then, I had the dealership change the entire guage cluster for $560 and the problem was solved. Take it to the dealership; the running around to mechanics will waster your time and therefore money. The dealer guarantees it's work and won't charge you if they can't fix the problem.

silverz06vette
11-06-03, 08:14 PM
I had the same problem. These mechanics with basic training and experience don't know shit about caddies and it took me 6 mechanics to realize it. First, I changed the speed sensor, and that was a waste of time. Then, I had the dealership change the entire guage cluster for $560 and the problem was solved. Take it to the dealership; the running around to mechanics will waster your time and therefore money. The dealer guarantees it's work and won't charge you if they can't fix the problem.

Thanks I will pass that on to my dad. :)