: exhaust sparks and pops?

azombie
07-04-05, 03:06 PM
ok so I am racing this Subaru WRX last night and we went on one run and i took him down (on highway VERY high speed, like almost top speed) then we slow back down and we went again and i could not catch him the 2nd time, he got a good jump on me when we started (not an even start) but i couldn't even pull up to him at the high end where i really was taking him before...so i noticed that during this 2nd race his exhaust was shooting out these little sparks and it would pop and shoot out a spark every now and then, was that like NOS or a supercharger or something and maybe he didn't use it on the first run?

it looked like he had done a LOT of aftermarket work on this thing. I was VERY impressed was a sweet looking car and ran right with the V. we were both psyched and hooting and hollering at each other afterwards when we lined up to congratulate each others cars for their sweetness.

anyways just wondering if anyone can elaborate on the sparks/popping on his exhaust, is that normal?

c5racr1
07-04-05, 03:31 PM
turbo cars tend to run rich inbetween shifts and when you let off the throttle. the unburned gas puddles in the exhaust system and when he gets back on the gas the hot exhaust ignites the puddled gas and you get a flash, or sometimes a flame depending on the size of the puddle. this happens on all cars but normally the cat converter vaporizes the fuel. he probably didn't have cats.

Dreamin
07-04-05, 04:47 PM
...definitely no cats...

And here's a V shooting flames (at the very end of the movie)

http://www.mallettcars.com/video/CTS-V-final_run.mov

-1-
07-04-05, 05:03 PM
so i noticed that during this 2nd race his exhaust was shooting out these little sparks and it would pop and shoot out a spark every now and then,

:hmm: Well, it is July 4th weekend!

willsctsv
07-04-05, 06:46 PM
He had no cats, and probably a boost controller and cranked up the boost a few pounds after he realized you were quicker.

azombie
07-05-05, 05:35 PM
he will be in for a surprise after i put in the supercharger!