: Oil Filter Pre-fill

Sisqosasha
01-29-14, 12:24 PM
I have a 2003 DeVille, and I'm sure the service manual recommends to pre-fill the filter too. I haven't been able to get my hands on a service manual yet, but do you know how much oil to pre-fill the oil filter before installing?

Thanks,

Ray

Thank you for the information. I have a 2003 DeVille, and I'm sure the service manual recommends to pre-fill the filter too. I haven't been able to get my hands on a service manual yet, but do you know how much oil to pre-fill the oil filter before installing?

Thanks,

Ray

rodnok01
01-29-14, 12:48 PM
I know exactly how much to prefill it... until it's full, but not too full or it'll run down your arm right quick like and booger up your sleeve even.

Sisqosasha
01-29-14, 12:56 PM
Thank you. I want to take care of my 2nd Cadillac better than my last.

MoistCabbage
01-29-14, 12:59 PM
:thumbsup:

Submariner409
01-29-14, 01:24 PM
7.5 quarts WITH filter. You dump in 7 quarts, use half (or close) of the 8th to fill the filter, and the rest goes in the right hand puka in the trunk.

Filter goes on firmly hand tight + 1/5 turn.

"puka" - A now-politically-incorrect Navy adaptation of the Hawai'ian noun "puka" which means, among other things, "a handy little place to store things in".

Sisqosasha
01-29-14, 01:25 PM
Is there any special way to pre fill the oil filter? Or is putting it through the center hole sufficient?

Submariner409
01-29-14, 01:31 PM
Sit the filter, end up in the box or not, (Most have a flat surface on the bottom) and pour in some oil - center hole. Let it soak out through the media. Repeat until the level stays just below the tapping plate - the plate with the center and entry holes in it.

Many do not prefill - I personally prefer the warm, fuzzy feeling that the oil pump doesn't have to make up a half quart or so before system pressure builds - and, FWIW, the GM/Cadillac service manuals recommend prefilling.

Oil flows IN through the 6 or 8 outer holes, TO the engine from the center, threaded, hole.

Ranger
01-29-14, 02:53 PM
I have yet to pre-fill an oil filter, but if you really feel the need, fill it to the top.

EDIT:
No need to post the same question in two different threads. I merged them and started a dedicated thread.

P.S.
The oil pump will fill an empty filter faster than you can imagine.