: High Performance driving

GodspeedRacing
11-05-03, 07:45 PM
a friend of mine and I have started a Stunteam as a program to reach out to students. I own a Seville STS 4.6L NS, and one of the kids suggested "supping" it up for Performance Driving. Several thoughts that came to mind for that kind of driving were A.) Synthetic Oils (I've seen strings on this, but none of them really addresses "drag-racing"/performance driving) because the engine will be naturally running hotter. B.) NOS kits C.) Cold air intakes (though I cant seem to find any or K and N Filters for the newer caddy engines). Any and all thoughts welcome!!

JJhomer83
11-05-03, 08:08 PM
a friend of mine and I have started a Stunteam as a program to reach out to students. I own a Seville STS 4.6L NS, and one of the kids suggested "supping" it up for Performance Driving. Several thoughts that came to mind for that kind of driving were A.) Synthetic Oils (I've seen strings on this, but none of them really addresses "drag-racing"/performance driving) because the engine will be naturally running hotter. B.) NOS kits C.) Cold air intakes (though I cant seem to find any or K and N Filters for the newer caddy engines). Any and all thoughts welcome!!

Look up the kn filter for the grand prix 99 i think that is what you need. Or you can measure you current filter and call kn
About a intake you can make it yourself or buy one well worth it.
Another thought is an exhaust that will give you more power as well

elwesso
11-05-03, 09:11 PM
K/n has a part number for the northstar...... It may be under seville/eldo/deville, but any of those will work on any (ie the airbox is the same!)

Other than that, you seem to be on the right track.... I wouldnt add NOS, because the northstar is sensitive, and the tranny doesnt like that sort of thing.....

Synthetics are a great idea anyway......!

ShadowLvr400
11-06-03, 12:14 AM
The motor and tranny can take the nitrous just fine elwesso. Just be smart about the size shot, and the additional fuel you add. :P

GodspeedRacing
11-06-03, 12:33 AM
Great, I found a K and N filter. Tonight a coupla that i know had some other suggestions. I talked in my initial post about cold air intakes, do you know where I could get one made for a NS, preferrably w/ a ram air hood. I'm also looking for a custom spoiler. I know, I know, some of you aren't big fans of too much modification to the best ever (seville), but it "looks cooler" to the teens, and their who I'm reaching out to. Any websites/other suggestions would be helpful.
Shadow: can I get some more details on how you rigged that NOS system. I was thinkin about takin to 4 banger double shot systems and alternating them into the motor, but thats just brainstorm at first glance.

JJhomer83
11-06-03, 01:00 AM
Great, I found a K and N filter. Tonight a coupla that i know had some other suggestions. I talked in my initial post about cold air intakes, do you know where I could get one made for a NS, preferrably w/ a ram air hood. I'm also looking for a custom spoiler. I know, I know, some of you aren't big fans of too much modification to the best ever (seville), but it "looks cooler" to the teens, and their who I'm reaching out to. Any websites/other suggestions would be helpful.
Shadow: can I get some more details on how you rigged that NOS system. I was thinkin about takin to 4 banger double shot systems and alternating them into the motor, but thats just brainstorm at first glance.

GodspeedRacing
I think that it is a great idea to put some pizaz into a caddy to get teens or kids to think its cool. What age group are you going after? What is the purpose of the car in this whole thing?

Since i am 20 I would recommend a throaty exhaust. I would talk to someone at borla or corsa to see if they will give you a discount on a nice exhaust. Just tell them about your reaching out program and if they would like a good business offer they will help you out. Plus you can put the stickers in the corner window.
Get the windows tinted.
Go with BIG rims on it. Me personally i would like 18 on mine but others might say bigger.
As far as a ram air hood you would need to have someone make that up for you custom i don't think that there are any companies that do that. You might be able to get a hood with a 3-4 inch cowl on it.
If you want to go crazy hook up strobes and neons killer stereo.
The only limit you got is the cash availbility.

GodspeedRacing
11-06-03, 01:11 AM
Yea cashflow is a BIG problem, after all, this is a nonprofit. Age group is 13-18. Its actually a outreach. The outreach to schools is responsible driving, and of course a lil' of the typical motivation stuff. The car's purpose is actually more perfomance based. the caddy has one of the biggest stock engines for front wheel drive in cars, therefore helping one to pull out of controlled skids easier, and my friend and I are going to school over the summer to become licensed stunt drivers to put on "shows" for the students. The problem w/ the big rims is in performance. The bigger/shinnier rims are also heaver and make you lose take off. its all about power to weight ration ;). Strobes and neons are already in the works, with white underglow, hoods and back lights on the way, all hooked into a master "wigwam" switch where every light flashes. The Window tint is next, its actually going to be mirror tint, fade to top, and the paint job will be Ice blue, with a clear coat, then frosted, and another clear coat. the name of the car, naturally, is ICE. So, all your help to "frost the ice" is greatly appreciated.

JJhomer83
11-06-03, 01:21 AM
Yea cashflow is a BIG problem, after all, this is a nonprofit. Age group is 13-18. Its actually a outreach. The outreach to schools is responsible driving, and of course a lil' of the typical motivation stuff. The car's purpose is actually more perfomance based. the caddy has one of the biggest stock engines for front wheel drive in cars, therefore helping one to pull out of controlled skids easier, and my friend and I are going to school over the summer to become licensed stunt drivers to put on "shows" for the students. The problem w/ the big rims is in performance. The bigger/shinnier rims are also heaver and make you lose take off. its all about power to weight ration ;). Strobes and neons are already in the works, with white underglow, hoods and back lights on the way, all hooked into a master "wigwam" switch where every light flashes. The Window tint is next, its actually going to be mirror tint, fade to top, and the paint job will be Ice blue, with a clear coat, then frosted, and another clear coat. the name of the car, naturally, is ICE. So, all your help to "frost the ice" is greatly appreciated.

Well if your going performance based then your going to have to do a lot of begging to get good parts. I would highly recomend the following first. Exhaust, rims, great rubber, and intake of some sort.
Now you need to think economically about the hood with the ram air thing. Find out with your sources what can be done that might be a show only mod b/c the air induction might go through the grille.

I recently turned a barn into a "youth" hangout. I started out with 500 bucks and had to turn a barn into someplace kids would go and hang out. I ended up putting 3 tv's surround sound stereo, pool table etcc..... you get the point

For most of the things i got were DONATED or give to at cost. In the barn that i "hooked up" i have a GIANT and i mean GIANT board with DA BARN mad possible by the following. and the list of everyone, and company who cut me a deal.
If you need help with anything ill see what i can do

GodspeedRacing
11-06-03, 01:28 AM
Well if your going performance based then your going to have to do a lot of begging to get good parts. I would highly recomend the following first. Exhaust, rims, great rubber, and intake of some sort.
Now you need to think economically about the hood with the ram air thing. Find out with your sources what can be done that might be a show only mod b/c the air induction might go through the grille.

I recently turned a barn into a "youth" hangout. I started out with 500 bucks and had to turn a barn into someplace kids would go and hang out. I ended up putting 3 tv's surround sound stereo, pool table etcc..... you get the point

For most of the things i got were DONATED or give to at cost. In the barn that i "hooked up" i have a GIANT and i mean GIANT board with DA BARN mad possible by the following. and the list of everyone, and company who cut me a deal.
If you need help with anything ill see what i can do
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.
I agree on the show only thing for the hood. My rims will do fine for now, but as far as rubber, I'm looking at michlen tires. Intake, KN naturally ;). Exhaust, I was thinkin' dynaflow. I want a smooth low sound, not a loud sound. That aside, do you think I'm right on switching to Synth. oil for perf. driving. and if so Mobil1 vs. Castrol vs. Penzoil.

JJhomer83
11-06-03, 01:34 AM
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.
I agree on the show only thing for the hood. My rims will do fine for now, but as far as rubber, I'm looking at michlen tires. Intake, KN naturally ;). Exhaust, I was thinkin' dynaflow. I want a smooth low sound, not a loud sound. That aside, do you think I'm right on switching to Synth. oil for perf. driving. and if so Mobil1 vs. Castrol vs. Penzoil.

For exhaust are you thinking cat back or full system. For synthic oil people will battle all day long which one is better. I say just pick one but most people do say mobil1 is better. Intake if you strapped for cash i wouldn't go KN i would rip out the current breather box and put a custom cone system that will cost you less that the kn did plus more flow too. Just some thoughts. post pics if you can would love to see them.

ShadowLvr400
11-06-03, 09:40 AM
GodSpeedRacing, your best off visiting my car domain site. It has pictures showing the kit's setup. It's a direct port, wet shot. Complex, but one of the safest ways to run Nitrous.

Oh yea, for a good spoiler, go to www.sportwing.com You can see mine on some of the pics on my cardomain site.

JJhomer83
11-06-03, 09:42 AM
GodSpeedRacing, your best off visiting my car domain site. It has pictures showing the kit's setup. It's a direct port, wet shot. Complex, but one of the safest ways to run Nitrous.

GodSpeedRacing Shadow is your best bet for making the car "fun" He is the man when it comes to performance caddy's he has one bad ass machine

JohnnyLfromCT
11-06-03, 10:26 AM
Isn't a cone filter on a Northstar a bad idea?

The NS engine bay gets HOT during stop n' go driving...won't you just be pullling very hot air (hotter than from a stock airbox, I mean) into the motor?

I'd LOVE to find a nice cold air intake system for my STS...............

elwesso
11-06-03, 10:41 AM
I wish the CAI setup was still on GMF.... Damien had a really good CAI...... It uses the stock airbox and everything.....

Maybe he'd post it again......

I wouldnt do a cone filter under the northstar hood......

And shadowlvr.... Sorry, i am incompitent..... I wouldnt add any old NOS system, but yours was obviously very well thought out and reasonable....... Id mimick his setup......

GodspeedRacing
11-06-03, 11:21 AM
Shadow:
Where did you get your WET system? It does look complicated to install, but I'm sure I could figure it out. Also, what kind of exhaust system did you use. I was looking at the pictures of your car, but all I saw were the tips that you used. Also, since you've done this sort of thing to your car, What do you prefer on the Synthetic Oils?
Thanks again for all of you who are taking the time to respond!

Allante North *
11-06-03, 04:38 PM
GodspeedRacing,

Synthetic Oils are great, but with the North* you may find you have small leaks that you never knew you had by switching to Synthetic oil. The earlier North*'s had a problem with oil leaks. Mine has a small leak, and as expensive as Synthetic oil is, I just stuck with dino oil. I don't lose that much on the garage floor, nor does it use much oil between changes. Just a heads up for possible problems.

Concerning exhaust, the Cat back systems are great but can be very expensive. I took some measurments and ordered Borlas from Husker High performance. If I remember correctly I got them off of Ebay instead of Husker directly for less $$. I paid about $80/muffler and spent about $90 at the muffler shop to have tham installed and some pipes bent and new chrome tips. I got rid of my cat and I did all this for under $300. I think you could do the same with a little planning and some quick measurments next time you have her on a rack.

I would just stick with the K&N filter and skip the CAI for now. The might look cool and sound cool, but earlier comments are accurate about sucking in hot air.

Take some time to learn how to program your computer to turn on and off the traction control to aid in getting off the line. I run with it on and off to see what kind of help I get. It depends on the track conditions as to if it lowers ET's. Most would agree that TC off is the way to go at the track, but I have had good runs with it on also. If you decide to leave TC off, you might want to try to pick up some extra wheels and some slicks for the front for time runs. You can swap back the street tires for the ride home and keep the spares in the trunk. Just remember to remove excess weight at the track and let someone watch your stuff while you run. If you don't intend to drag the car, you might go with the Michelins as you mentioned, but be prepared to spend some bucks now and again if you drive them as hard as I imagine you will.

Good Luck with your project, and keep us informed of your progress!

Dubya
11-06-03, 10:36 PM
forget the wing and ram air hood, were's the link to that jap company that sells body kits for the 92-97 and 98+ sevilles???? those kits were SWEET

what year did you have btw?

ShadowLvr400
11-06-03, 11:38 PM
My system is actually a relatively standard system from NOS. It involves drilling into the manifold, 1 spot per cylinder. Then plug in the nozzle, and seal it there. Then find places to mount all the ..... damn, can't think of what they're called. Sigh, ah well. If you call NOS, they may be able to help. It's actually a relatively standard layout.

On Synthetics, just about everyone on here likes their particular brands. Lot of Mobil 1 users, number of Amsoil users, so forth. Usually a Mobil 1 myself, unless I happen to get a deal on something equal.

My exhaust looks like a lot more than it is. The tips were part of the body kit, and they're nothing more than extender pipes. If you want them, I'll sell them. Been planning on getting some that fit a bit better in that gap. My actual exhaust changes were just a set of high flow mufflers. Ravin Z55's. Was $330 installed. $120 for each muffler, and then $65 for an hour it took to toss them on. Gave the sound I liked.

As for more speed, what year STS? If you're 95 or earlier, there's a chip from superchips that will help a LOT. Other things, a set of 18" rims, and good tires, plus eibach lowering springs will help the handling a lot.
Any other stuff you want to find, just roam the sections, and ask. We probably have it here. :)

GodspeedRacing
11-07-03, 12:38 PM
Ok Gentlemen, New question on "ICE" a buddy of mine, also into performance driving, recommended a substance called X-1R Oil additive. I tried to check the stuff out myself, and it looks pretty good. Only Lubricant Certified by NASA for shuttle engines...stuff like that. Any thoughts? Also, these chemicals for cleaning out fuel systems (X-1R also makes one of these) do they work, or is it just a gimmic?

elwesso
11-07-03, 12:45 PM
Post a link of this stuff, and ill read about it.....

GodspeedRacing
11-08-03, 02:05 AM
http://www.x1r.com/withframes/frameset2.html

GodspeedRacing
11-09-03, 12:04 AM
http://www.x1r.com/withframes/frameset2.html
lol....hope you can help!