: Priming Northstar after total rebuild

the recluse
01-27-14, 10:40 PM
Fresh motor that hasn't seen oil in 12 years.

I do not want to dry start the engine...what procedure is there for priming the engine's oil system?

rodnok01
01-28-14, 12:08 AM
Check bill Buttermore thread , I remember him using removed plug from front of motor. Fsm may have detailed instructions.

ternstes
01-28-14, 09:03 AM
Is the motor in the vehicle already? There is a plug on the oil filter adapter that you could attach a pump sprayer to (think one of the those liquid pesticide sprayers). If the engine is in the car, it may be a bit difficult. Did you build this motor? If so, and you used assembly lube on all the rotating parts, just pull the fuel pump relay or the electrical connectors to the coil packs and crank the engine for 15-20 seconds three times. You could pull out the plugs as well, but it isn't necessary.

the recluse
01-29-14, 12:05 PM
Did you build this motor? If so, and you used assembly lube on all the rotating parts, just pull the fuel pump relay or the electrical connectors to the coil packs and crank the engine for 15-20 seconds three times. You could pull out the plugs as well, but it isn't necessary.

I didn't build this one, I got from a friend who had it in his shed for 12 years...got it out of a wrecked Caddy with around 6000 miles on it...

I pulled the bottom to reseal the block halves, so only the mains were covered...and the cam lobes when I had the valve covers off...normally I do as you suggested, but this block is fairly dry....

ternstes
01-29-14, 02:40 PM
Forcing oil through the port on the oil filter adapter would definitely assure you that oil is in all the right places for the first run. Check Bill Buttermore's build thread as rodnok suggested for details on how he fabbed up his pump sprayer.

arctic_man
01-30-14, 12:57 PM
Is the motor in the vehicle already? There is a plug on the oil filter adapter that you could attach a pump sprayer to (think one of the those liquid pesticide sprayers). If the engine is in the car, it may be a bit difficult. Did you build this motor? If so, and you used assembly lube on all the rotating parts, just pull the fuel pump relay or the electrical connectors to the coil packs and crank the engine for 15-20 seconds three times. You could pull out the plugs as well, but it isn't necessary.

I pulled the coil pack to prime mine. However, if I were to do it again, I would pull the pump fuse too. Kinda flooded the engine. But you pull the fuses or connectors, and try to start the car for 30 seconds. Wait a minute or so, then do it again. Put the fuses back and fire her up.

maeng9981
01-31-14, 02:27 AM
Twice I used the fuse pulling and cranking method, with no problem.

the recluse
01-31-14, 12:15 PM
Twice I used the fuse pulling and cranking method, with no problem.

I've used the method before...on a standard 350, I pull the distributor, drop a 10mm on a long extension, and chuck it in a drill to prime...this motor has no such thing, lol

I'm probably being overly cautious...

97EldoCoupe
01-31-14, 03:08 PM
Overfill the crankcase and then crank with the coils disconnected for about a minute (if the spark plugs are installed, do this in 20 second intervals to save the starter) Then after the engine is primed, drain the crankcase back down to regular level and start it up. This is the quickest way to prime the engine. You want the oil pump submerged to do this. Just don't run the engine without bringing the level back down though.

The oil pump has plenty of vacuum to pick up oil at idle speed, but at crank speed approx ~200 rpms, it can take a while. That's why I suggest the overfill method. The oil pump primes the engine immediately.

Submariner409
01-31-14, 03:26 PM
Jake - Did you see the thread near this one where a member in Sweden has questions on resealing the oil distribution manifold in a pre-2000 N* ? (InFamous N* oil leak)

97EldoCoupe
01-31-14, 05:25 PM
I did not, I will check as soon as the stud kits are out for today.