: Free HT4100 Coupe de Ville

DopeStar 156
06-30-05, 11:40 PM
One of my coworkers knowing my thing for Caddys told me she had one in her yard that's been sitting that she is looking to get rid of. I checked it out, it's an '82/'83/'84 Coupe de Ville with the HT4100 and it's a "Roadster." The car is solid looking, no hardcore rust of anykind. The paint (or what's left of it) appears to be a bronze/copper color. The car has a simulated convertable top that's cloth and brown in color. The car hasn't been on the road for about 8 years but was last run about a year and a half ago. It's sitting on a farm with grass growing around it, so you can imagine the sight of the car. The car definately needs paint, the interior is weather worn and infested with insects, leather's good, no rips but I was afraid to get too close because of the insect infestation. Headliner is down completely, and the passenger side door doesn't close. The body has surface rust in the spots the paint is missing but no holes or thinning. The bumper fillers are beginning to rot and the car needs back tires which are both dry rotted and flat, the fronts look ok. Being as scared as I was to get close to it, I never looked at the engine but I was told the car is capable of running. It was last run about a year and a half ago. I think it just needs a battery but like I said, I didn't get under there. Usually I'd brush this one off, but like I said it's free. For the price of paint, tires, reupholstering, and maybe a battery I'd have a pretty good Coupe. :drinker Opinions? Comments? Let 'em go.

carguy16
06-30-05, 11:44 PM
I dont know, its kinda like a really really really really hot girl that wants to take you home, free of charge of course, but...

She seems to have several insect infestations, do you still go home with her? Not me. You wanna get close, but you dont want to touch. Same with the car. :tisk:

One of my coworkers knowing my thing for Caddys told me she had one in her yard that's been sitting that she is looking to get rid of. I checked it out, it's a Coupe de Ville with the HT4100 and it's a "Roadster." The car is solid looking, no hardcore rust of anykind. It's sitting on a farm with grass growing around it, so you can imagine. The car definately needs paint, the interior is weather worn and infested with insects, leather's good, no rips but I was afraid to get too close because of the insect infestation. Headliner is down completely, and the passenger side door doesn't close. The body has surface rust in the spots the paint is missing but no holes or thinning. The bumper fillers are beginning to rot and the car needs back tires which are both dry rotted and flat, the fronts look ok. Being as scared as I was to get close to it, I never looked at the engine but I was told the car is capable of running. It was last run about a year and a half ago. I think it just needs a battery but like I said, I didn't get under there. Usually I'd brush this one off, but like I said it's free. For the price of paint, tires, reupholstering, and maybe a battery I'd have a pretty good Coupe. :drinker Opinions? Comments? Let 'em go.

N0DIH
07-01-05, 12:39 AM
Looks like a great 500 project car!

DopeStar 156
07-01-05, 02:34 AM
I dont know, its kinda like a really really really really hot girl that wants to take you home, free of charge of course, but...

She seems to have several insect infestations, do you still go home with her? Not me. You wanna get close, but you dont want to touch. Same with the car. :tisk:
Ehhh, a bug bomb under the dash takes care of that. :lildevil:

davesdeville
07-01-05, 04:20 AM
f you've got the cash to get everything up to par then pick it up. Or if you have a place to store it until you get the cash in a couple months, what the hell it's not like it could get a lot worse.

Looks like a great 500 project car!

Damn straight.

brougham
07-01-05, 03:43 PM
It sounds like it's a pretty crappy car. Look how bad junk yard cars are inside that have broken windows or doors that people leave open. It's probably bad like that too. Maybe it's good if you want one for parts but it sounds like it would be cheaper to just buy one that's already in better condition.

DopeStar 156
07-01-05, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna go back and take a better look at it, but I would love a project car to just do a little at a time. If I can get it running I would go for it. Hopefully a few quarts of oil, some gas, and a new battery would do the trick.

90Brougham350
07-02-05, 01:31 AM
If you've got the time, effort, and a place to store it, go for it. However, the fuel delivery system might need a little work to get it running if it ran last a year and a half ago, the gas is more than likely gum by now.

Brian

Destroyer
07-02-05, 12:51 PM
.........it would be cheaper to just buy one that's already in better condition.I second that. I mean, its not exactly a hard to find car. A few hundred to a couple of thousand should get you something much nicer. If you think you will be saving cash by getting this one free and then fixing it up, think again. :drinker

DopeStar 156
07-03-05, 12:48 AM
I stopped by the car today to try to get it started and it looked better than I remembered. Here's some pics of the car. I couldn't get the hood open because the cable is broken somewhere, prolly right by the handle. Enjoy the shots.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/p1010006.jpg Passenger side door doesn't close, the button is stuck in.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/P1010005.jpg Paint looks bad, clear coat's gone, but it looks ok in some areas. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/P1010004.jpg The bumper fillers are broken, but they're available off the net.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/P1010003.jpg http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/P1010002.jpg Interior looks dirty but that's it. Obviously the headliner needs replacing.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/83%20Coupe%20de%20Ville%20Project%20Car/P1010001.jpg Haha a shot of me driving my Fleetwood. Damn I look good in my car. Pics courtesy of my girlfriend's master photography.

try2playJAY
07-03-05, 02:56 AM
Definatley could use some work...LOL
If you're willing to invest the time, money, and effort, GO FOR IT!
It's for free, at least save the poor ol' thing from it's inevitable nature-death doom!!! Take it and drop a 500 under the hood, some moderate interior work and a deeeeeep paint job would make that car a decent cruiser! :cool:

DopeStar 156
07-03-05, 03:36 AM
Definatley could use some work...LOL
If you're willing to invest the time, money, and effort, GO FOR IT!
It's for free, at least save the poor ol' thing from it's inevitable nature-death doom!!! Take it and drop a 500 under the hood, some moderate interior work and a deeeeeep paint job would make that car a decent cruiser! :cool:
Exactly what's in my head! I'd like to get it running first before I agree to take it. I figure the only real money I'd need is paint. I can deal with the HT4100 engine, at least for a while if it runs. The interior just really needs a cleaning, the door obviously needs to be recentered and the latch needs fixing, also the car needs a set of tires. I can get most of what I need from the junkyard. The seats in the car are fine, they're just dry. Some Armorall leather treatment looks like they'll take care of that. I also found a ton of mouse crap in the trunk. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere. I'll be going back up sometime next week if my coworker's husband can get the hood opened, I'll bring a battery with me and try to start it. I wonder how long it takes for the gas to go stale?

davesdeville
07-03-05, 06:41 AM
You'll probably be able to get it started if it worked a year and a half ago... bring a can of starter fluid, it works on FI cars believe me. Even if it stalls out you'll be able to tell if it will fire.

If anyone in NM wants a free 78 Fleetwood, non working engine, needs interior and paint...

The Ape Man
07-03-05, 10:30 AM
Are you sure about the year. The front grille makes it look like an '81.

90Brougham350
07-03-05, 12:02 PM
Gas will go stale in less than 6 months. The other thing to be worried about as well is if that bastard of a mouse has made lunch of some of the wiring.

Brian

DopeStar 156
07-03-05, 03:32 PM
Are you sure about the year. The front grille makes it look like an '81.
The car has the HT4100. That engine was only offered in the RWD Coupe de Ville from 82-84. The sticker inside the door says the car was manufactured in 04/82. Since that's April of 1982 I would say it's an early production 83. I think the car was hit at some point because you can see a little tiny bend in the front of the hood similar to the one on my 89 from when I hit the deer. The front clip may be off an '81 but the car is an '83.

DopeStar 156
07-03-05, 04:12 PM
Gas will go stale in less than 6 months. The other thing to be worried about as well is if that bastard of a mouse has made lunch of some of the wiring.

Brian
When gas goes stale what does that mean? What happens to the fuel? Will it damage the fuel system if it's in there? Will mixing fresh gas with what's in there fix it?

90Brougham350
07-04-05, 12:07 AM
The gas molecules breaks down from a clean combustable liquid into a sort of gummy varnish-like thicker substance. It can gum up the carburetor real well, as well as other fuel delivery components. Not fun to clean out at all. Of course fuel stabilizer works well, but of course, only if it's used.

Brian

DopeStar 156
07-04-05, 12:20 AM
The gas molecules breaks down from a clean combustable liquid into a sort of gummy varnish-like thicker substance. It can gum up the carburetor real well, as well as other fuel delivery components. Not fun to clean out at all. Of course fuel stabilizer works well, but of course, only if it's used.

Brian
Hmm... fuel stabalizer....So adding that will "degum" it?

Spock
07-04-05, 03:09 AM
Just from the pictures I can tell that it's a parts car not a "fixer-upper".

As was said earlier, don't spend money to fix this car but invest in a car that's relatively in good shape.

evilrussian
07-04-05, 01:06 PM
I had mine started after sitting a lot longer than 6 months, gas was fine, I think... I use premium maybe that helps.

This looks like a decent coupe IMO. My '83 is not in much better shape, cosmetically. If you can get it to turn over, it might be worth looking at, especially if you want a coupe, which are getting harder and harder to find.

Good luck with it...

DopeStar 156
07-05-05, 12:16 AM
I had mine started after sitting a lot longer than 6 months, gas was fine, I think... I use premium maybe that helps.

This looks like a decent coupe IMO. My '83 is not in much better shape, cosmetically. If you can get it to turn over, it might be worth looking at, especially if you want a coupe, which are getting harder and harder to find.

Good luck with it...
Thanks! Sometime this week I'm gonna see if I can get 'er started, then maybe find a couple tires to toss on the back. My mom said it's ok for me to take the car home, but I still gotta bring it up with my dad. :( He's a hard rock to budge...

The Ape Man
07-05-05, 01:12 AM
I see another 500 transplant on the horizon.

DopeStar 156
07-05-05, 03:39 PM
Haha if only I had the means to do an engine swap, I'd kick the idea around. I can live with the HT4100 at least for a while.

Adam
07-05-05, 07:01 PM
you cant beat a free car but honestly, after all the money you put into it, you could buy one in perfect shape. look a paint job will cost (well depending on who and what you go with) 1k-1,500. a new top will cost you, if there are engine problems or whatever $$$, interior, etc. i mean hey if your are looking for a project car then definitely go for it. like i said, you cant beat a free car, but for what all you'd have to put into it, youd come out better just buying one in perfect shape.

my buddy got a 83 Cutlass for free in about the same shape (actually it was worse, looked like hell had thrown up), it is awesome now. completely redone the interior, new paint (actually the paint cost him almost 8k!), frame off resto, & new engine (well rebuild with new parts). he took the body off the frame and powder coated the frame (blue) with gold leafing in visible areas. 14 inch knock offs, 2 pumps (Pro Hopper), im talking man this thing is nice! he put in automatic windows/ seat. heat front and passenger seats. he went all out. he even cut the top and put t tpos in it! now i know you wont be doing anything like that but just to show you that you can do some pretty amazing stuff with a free car.

DopeStar 156
07-06-05, 01:19 AM
:bonkers: I can't decide! I gotta get under the hood before I can make a final judgement but I'm not looking to make it perfect, just decent. I can clean up the interior and any and all parts I'd get from a junkyard cheap. IE the side view mirrors, the chrome is coming off the metal. I could get two mirrors from a late 80's Brougham and swap them. I really want it more for the thrill of the project car.

davesdeville
07-06-05, 05:50 AM
The means to do an engine swap would pretty much be a $125 engine hoist and $50 engine stand from Harbor Freight along with some pretty basic tools (and time of course.) I think a stock 500 in that car would do a mid-low 14 sec 1/4, which means it should smoke all the stock Mustang GTs out there, except the 05s which would be pretty close. Then $500 invested in a nitrous system and you're really moving.

Adam
07-06-05, 06:14 PM
I really want it more for the thrill of the project car.

THEN GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you want something to work on, NOTHING beats a free car. good luck :thumbsup: .

Destroyer
07-06-05, 09:53 PM
The means to do an engine swap would pretty much be a $125 engine hoist and $50 engine stand from Harbor Freight along with some pretty basic tools (and time of course.) I think a stock 500 in that car would do a mid-low 14 sec 1/4, which means it should smoke all the stock Mustang GTs out there, except the 05s which would be pretty close. Then $500 invested in a nitrous system and you're really moving.A lttle over simplistic and optomistic no?. I mean first of all you have to find the motor or preferably the donor car so you can actually hear the motor run and then pay for it. Last time I checked (and I did check), there weren't many Caddy 500 powered cars for sale at least not for cheap. Assuming he picks a motor up from the junkyard its gonna be a roll of the dice as far as how well its gonna run or if its gonna run at all, and then you want to put a nitrous shot on that?. To do it right it would run a few grand for sure.

I'm not flaming but I dont think we should be painting a best case scenerio either. I have had luck in the past with budget engine swaps. I bought a 66 Cutlass years ago with a 330 for $500. Then I found a 70 Olds 98 with 73k orig miles and a 455/TH400. A tree fell on the car and crushed the roof so the owner let me have the car for $400. I swapped the 455 and Th400 into the Cutlass and it turned out to be a very reliable car. Best part was that even in bone stock configuration that 455 w/headers and duals got that car running 8.5's in the 1/8th and mid 13's in the 1/4. That was fun but it doesn't always work out that way.

davesdeville
07-06-05, 10:47 PM
Well no shit you'll have to FIND a motor if you're gonna swap one. Thank you captain obvious. If you pick up a junkyard motor without hearing it run, plan to rebuild it. It's sure as hell not gonna cost a few grand either, you can get a crate 500 that's not exactly stock from Schrader's speed shop for $3500, a stock rebuild isn't going to cost near that much. If you can find one that runs, then pay a few hundred and stick it in there. It's not rocket science.

BTW I sure wouldn't hesitate to run a 125-150 shot on a stock, 125k mile 500 in good running condition.

90Brougham350
07-06-05, 11:23 PM
Hahaha how many damn times do we have to go through the possible engine swaps for a 4100 Caddy!!!! Yes, a 500 would be sweet! Yes, a 350 TBI would be very nice as well. DopeStar doesn't even have the car yet! Let's let him pick it up and see how the 4100 looks.

Brian

sizanjdf
07-07-05, 12:51 AM
I picked up a 77 coupe a while back that hadnt been run in 10 years...I put a battery in it and checked the oil and fired it up and drove it around for a few days.... guess I lucked out on the varnish...

evilrussian
07-07-05, 03:15 PM
A lttle over simplistic and optomistic no?. I mean first of all you have to find the motor or preferably the donor car so you can actually hear the motor run and then pay for it. Last time I checked (and I did check), there weren't many Caddy 500 powered cars for sale at least not for cheap. Assuming he picks a motor up from the junkyard its gonna be a roll of the dice as far as how well its gonna run or if its gonna run at all, and then you want to put a nitrous shot on that?. To do it right it would run a few grand for sure.

I'm not flaming but I dont think we should be painting a best case scenerio either. I have had luck in the past with budget engine swaps. I bought a 66 Cutlass years ago with a 330 for $500. Then I found a 70 Olds 98 with 73k orig miles and a 455/TH400. A tree fell on the car and crushed the roof so the owner let me have the car for $400. I swapped the 455 and Th400 into the Cutlass and it turned out to be a very reliable car. Best part was that even in bone stock configuration that 455 w/headers and duals got that car running 8.5's in the 1/8th and mid 13's in the 1/4. That was fun but it doesn't always work out that way.

I totally agree. You can add up all of the money you THINK you gonna spend and then safely multiply that amount by at least 2 or 3 is even better. You just never know what surprize you gonna get as you get down to the installation. :yup: Unless you have a fleet of junk cars sitting in the back of your house, where you can conveniently pick any part that you need. Especially if you go 500 ci, cause parts for them ain't cheap or easy to find.

Destroyer
07-08-05, 07:05 PM
Well no shit you'll have to FIND a motor if you're gonna swap one. Thank you captain obvious. If you pick up a junkyard motor without hearing it run, plan to rebuild it. It's sure as hell not gonna cost a few grand either, you can get a crate 500 that's not exactly stock from Schrader's speed shop for $3500, a stock rebuild isn't going to cost near that much. If you can find one that runs, then pay a few hundred and stick it in there. It's not rocket science.

BTW I sure wouldn't hesitate to run a 125-150 shot on a stock, 125k mile 500 in good running condition.
Captain obvious? :annoyed:

Night Wolf
07-08-05, 09:17 PM
The means to do an engine swap would pretty much be a $125 engine hoist and $50 engine stand from Harbor Freight along with some pretty basic tools (and time of course.) I think a stock 500 in that car would do a mid-low 14 sec 1/4, which means it should smoke all the stock Mustang GTs out there, except the 05s which would be pretty close. Then $500 invested in a nitrous system and you're really moving.

a stock 500 in a '77-'79 body would bring low-mid 14's?!?!?

I dunno about that..... I mean.... if thats the case, I woudln't even waste time with the 425, and while it is out you could even maybe put in a mild cam and such in.

Night Wolf
07-08-05, 09:24 PM
ok, another question...

lets say you have a complete 472/500, it needs to be rebuilt, but it is all there.

How much for a stock rebuild?

If you want to keep it simple, get a valve job done, maybe throw in a mild reground cam, use the stock modified intake manifold etc...

MusicCity
07-09-05, 01:48 AM
It's been a week, did ya ever see if you could get it started?

DopeStar 156
07-09-05, 02:19 AM
It's been a week, did ya ever see if you could get it started?
Not really, but I've decided to walk for a few reasons.

-The fuel pump on my Fleetwood just went.
-The car was no longer free. She wanted money now.
- I found a mint Coupe de Ville for about $600.

I've got better things to do with my money right now, IE fix my fuel pump. :helpless:

luddyludwick
07-09-05, 03:28 PM
Dude,

I think it's probably going to have some pretty immediate serious rust problems. I noticed under the top at the RH quarter panel. Also, you might check to see if it's leaking above the windshield. My FWB has been well kept for 20 years, but it's leaking, too...even more so with that CDV that doesn't look so hot.

It depends on what you want it for: if you have a thing for HT CDV's, yeah, go for it; if not, I wouldn't expect anything more than just a few years of day-to-day transportation use...if the HT stuff is okay!...that's a BIG if...

luddyludwick
07-09-05, 03:29 PM
my bad...LOL I didn't see the more recent messages...

davesdeville
07-09-05, 04:36 PM
a stock 500 in a '77-'79 body would bring low-mid 14's?!?!?

I dunno about that..... I mean.... if thats the case, I woudln't even waste time with the 425, and while it is out you could even maybe put in a mild cam and such in.

Depending on which car and which year I'd say it's possible... a coupe Deville *should* weigh in at 4150 or so, with 300hp and 490ft.lbs. from a stock rebuilt 500. With the 4100 cars rear and gearing I could see it happening. Considering there are 300hp/295ft.lbs. STS and ETCs running mid-high 14s, the extra 200ft.lbs. will make up the weight differance and then some. It's not gonna do it through the stock exhaust, and it won't do it with the 2.28s in many of the 77-79 cars.

DopeStar 156
07-09-05, 06:19 PM
That would definately be cool if I could get the 500 in there. Concidering that the 77-84 Coupes were lighter than the stock 500 Coupes a 500 in a 77-84 would do some serious flying.

Adam
07-09-05, 09:33 PM

I've got better things to do with my money right now, IE fix my fuel pump. :helpless:

uh could you get me some pics of that mint Coupe deVille for $600 dollars please? that might be worth an investment.

Night Wolf
07-09-05, 10:12 PM

word to the wise, while you are in there (or have a shop fix it) change the water pump too... its like $40, but will save you alot of time and money down the road, plus peace of mind.... only makes sense too, I mean the water pump has to come off, so just replace it with a new one.

Night Wolf
07-09-05, 10:15 PM
Depending on which car and which year I'd say it's possible... a coupe Deville *should* weigh in at 4150 or so, with 300hp and 490ft.lbs. from a stock rebuilt 500. With the 4100 cars rear and gearing I could see it happening. Considering there are 300hp/295ft.lbs. STS and ETCs running mid-high 14s, the extra 200ft.lbs. will make up the weight differance and then some. It's not gonna do it through the stock exhaust, and it won't do it with the 2.28s in many of the 77-79 cars.

yeah the curb weight on my Sedan is 4212, but throw in 25gallons of gas, me and other junk, and it is almost 5,000lbs....

So any 500 with a stock rebuild is looking at a true 300hp and 490ft-lbs torque right off the bat?!? wow.... I didn't think it was that high....

Yeah, the stock exhaust is gonna go one day, but right now it is perfectly fine, and I have other things to spend my money on.... the gearing... eh... a swap from an HT4100 car owuld be the cheapest, but it seems like it is a little too low of a gear for what I want, not to mention no Posi.... but I am keeping my eyes out...

DopeStar 156
07-10-05, 02:11 AM
word to the wise, while you are in there (or have a shop fix it) change the water pump too... its like $40, but will save you alot of time and money down the road, plus peace of mind.... only makes sense too, I mean the water pump has to come off, so just replace it with a new one.
Yeah? Ok, I'll bring it up Monday when I talk to them. Thanks.

Night Wolf
07-10-05, 04:25 AM
depending on the shop, they may try to talk you out of it, since when it goes, it is just more labor they get, and they really will not be making any money by putting a new one in when it is already off.

But the life on an OEM water pump is about 100k-130k, but on an older car... eh, the thing is off, just put a new one on.... atleast that is the preventative maintenace part in me...

davesdeville
07-10-05, 06:49 AM
yeah the curb weight on my Sedan is 4212, but throw in 25gallons of gas, me and other junk, and it is almost 5,000lbs....

So any 500 with a stock rebuild is looking at a true 300hp and 490ft-lbs torque right off the bat?!? wow.... I didn't think it was that high....

Yeah, the stock exhaust is gonna go one day, but right now it is perfectly fine, and I have other things to spend my money on.... the gearing... eh... a swap from an HT4100 car owuld be the cheapest, but it seems like it is a little too low of a gear for what I want, not to mention no Posi.... but I am keeping my eyes out...

Well when you're racing at the strip I hope you remove the junk from your car and only run with enough gas in the car to get you a few passes then to a gas station... But all cars weigh more with a driver, and the fact that this car is a heavy one to begin with means that 200 pounds is only 5% the weight of the car while in a 00 Vette for example it's 7% of the weight.

Anyway when I say a stock spec 500 will put out 300hp/490ft.lbs. I'm going off of Flash's dyno numbers from their 8:1 motor (which I believe is stock except a little lower on compression) published in their catalog. The torque pig article said 303/470 IIRC for the low compression 500.

The stock exhaust in my 75 will be one of the first things to change. I think it's 2" or 2.25" single for 500ci of engine. Plus it has the most restrictive cat ever being that it's only the second year of cats.

Night Wolf
07-10-05, 03:46 PM
yeah I try to get the car as light as possible... although for the '93, I did remove stuff int he turnk but had 14/18 gallons of gas, not to meniton now there is about 50lbs of dynamat and other things in the car...but that is all for the good.

I didn't think a stock 8.2:1 or so 500 would be anywhere near 300/490 I am just surprised at that.

Yeah, the exhaust on my '79 is also pretty tight, I am not sure on the exact size though, the cat was causing some problems, but I drained the beads from it. I want to get the cross member from a 90's Caprice or something, so I can get the raised exhaust part on both sides. When I do get a fancy exhaust system (even if I still have the 425) then I am going to get it slightly oversized, or basically, whatever would be perfect for a 500.... I was thinking dual 2-1/4" havn't really spent much time thinking about it though.