: How much for Prof. Detail?

suckit
06-30-05, 09:23 PM
Hey to all the detailers on the forum (HVcone etc...),

My BLK 02 Lade has been bugging me for the longest time with swirls and all kinds of imperfections on the paint. I've tried doing a little hand polishing but have not seen the results. My car has deep water stains and etching from I don't kno wat. I got my car waxed for 80 bucks about 8 months ago which was a quick one step wax. Didn't really last long and now my paint looks worst then ever because of it parked and out of comission outside for about 4 months. I want that "WET" look that all you ZAino guys got. I'm tired of stressing over the look of my paint and recently have been getting quotes from shops for the whole 3 step DETAIL. I got quoted from $175-400. The $175 one sounds pretty good, but then they told me that it would take about only 3-4 hours to do the job which made me think that my ride wouldn't come out as nice as I wanted. I am a freak when it comes to detail, so I'm actually thinking about paying $325 to this guy I know that does it professionally. He said he would do everything on the outside (cleaner & canuba on paint, wheels, on top of ride, and glass for all the deoxidation and hard water stains, and canuba for the wheels, and treatment for all the side rails and the back.) I feel comfortable with him becuase he seems like a detail freak also. What do you guys think about me paying an extra $150 for the job? Worth it?

I plan on having my ride done professionally at least one more time, and then purchasing the Zaino kit so I can maintain it afterwards.

fast66
06-30-05, 10:05 PM
I have had my car detailed many times and nothing compares it to putting zaino on it. My car is still shiny outside and the last time I waxed it was last summer. I would go straight to zaino if I were you.

suckit
06-30-05, 10:55 PM
My problem is that Idon't think I'd be able to get out some of da really bad swirls n other marks with my basic equipment, that's why I'm looking for a professional detail first. Also, I don't have 10 hrs to sit and wax all day. :(

dnyce617
07-01-05, 12:24 AM
Yeah with a black truck, you really need to have it polished out at least yearly, depending on how gentle your wash/dry method is. $325 is way too much. I pay about $200 but I think they usually charge around $250. That includes carpets vacuumed/extracted, all leather/vinyl cleaned and dressed, 4 stage polish (compound, polish, machine glaze, hand glaze,) wax, wheels and tires, wheel wells, all exterior plastics, basically everything you can reach. I only get it done yearly, and I wash it myself, and apply wax every couple of washes. Also, to each his own, but I personally think a good wax looks way better than a sealant on dark finishes.

hcvone
07-05-05, 10:12 AM
I have customers that tell me they have spent 200 - 500 dollars for a full detail, I hope they give you something extra for $500. :crying: :crying:

Spittin Game
07-05-05, 04:37 PM
I get a FULL detail for $75. It pays to have hookups sometimes ;)

slk230mb
07-05-05, 07:51 PM
I would love to find a place in NYC that would do a full detail for me that I could trust. There are a few place, but I just get a weird feeling when I go to get a price.

suckit
07-05-05, 08:07 PM
I would love to find a place in NYC that would do a full detail for me that I could trust. There are a few place, but I just get a weird feeling when I go to get a price.

So I guess it's okay to pay $375, as long as the work is good.

dnyce617
07-06-05, 11:21 AM
I say if you know they do good work, go for it. Just don't judge a detailer by how much they charge. A complete hack could be charging the going rate because he can, while a seasoned vet could charge less to drum up new business. Stop by their shop (or one of their jobs if mobile) and check them out in action. Talk to them about products, process, and feel out their knowledge level. Most pros use bulk products that you've most likely never heard of, but as long as they know what they're doing they will outshine the boutique products used by an amature. One thing I'd be sure to ask about is if they clay every car, and if it's included in the price. You will be amazed what comes out of the paint with clay even on a brand new, just delivered car.

dnyce617
07-06-05, 11:29 AM

You live in Queens right? I've heard Skribble's Auto Spa in Ozone Park does good work.

96CADDYDEVILLE
07-06-05, 11:32 AM
I say if you know they do good work, go for it. Just don't judge a detailer by how much they charge. A complete hack could be charging the going rate because he can, while a seasoned vet could charge less to drum up new business. Stop by their shop (or one of their jobs if mobile) and check them out in action. Talk to them about products, process, and feel out their knowledge level. Most pros use bulk products that you've most likely never heard of, but as long as they know what they're doing they will outshine the boutique products used by an amature. One thing I'd be sure to ask about is if they clay every car, and if it's included in the price. You will be amazed what comes out of the paint with clay even on a brand new, just delivered car.

On that note you should clay a new car at least once to get the rail dust/ debris off the paint. that stuff is tough on paint. and if you find a good shop when you go there look at the guys working on the cars. alot of time there is a vast difference between the new guy at the shop and the seasoned vet.

hcvone
07-06-05, 11:40 AM

I know in the 80's and 90's our shops used Meguiar's products, most of our competitors used cheaper products like Ardex or Chemical Guys products, all will shine your car, but you usually get what you pay for in terms of how long the products last, we could not get Meguiar's products to last that much longer, for those customers we would use Liquid Glass, in the 80's and early 90's it was one of the only products to last more than 4 weeks, of couse proper paint prep is the key to making your products shine better and last longer, and the synthetic products of today do last much longer.

dnyce617
07-06-05, 11:55 AM
I know in the 80's and 90's our shops used Meguiar's products, most of our competitors used cheaper products like Ardex or Chemical Guys products, all will shine your car, but you usually get what you pay for in terms of how long the products last, we could not get Meguiar's products to last that much longer, for those customers we would use Liquid Glass, in the 80's and early 90's it was one of the only products to last more than 4 weeks, of couse proper paint prep is the key to making your products shine better and last longer, and the synthetic products of today do last much longer.

Absolutely, I use sealants in the winter for the durability, but in the summer I wil wax it every other weak or so, so I take advantage of the warmth and depth I feel I get from carnauba (on my black truck, I personally prefer synthetics on my silver metallic 745il.)

slk230mb
07-06-05, 01:56 PM
You live in Queens right? I've heard Skribble's Auto Spa in Ozone Park does good work.

I'll have to look into them, thanks.

suckit
07-06-05, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the knowledge fellas... I'm pretty confident this guy will do a good job as everytime I see him he goes on for days about every little thing he's planning on doing to my ride. My only concern is the products used on my ride. The guy is using Meguiars stuff, and from what I read on this forum, that stuff doesn't last too long. I guess after my ride is all buffed out, I'll order some Zaino to keep the paint looking good.

firedawg911
07-15-05, 07:07 PM
I just had my 2005 White Diamond Escalade done at the Ming Shop here in San Antonio. It cost $240.00 and it looks stunning. The Ming process took 6 hours to apply and they detailed the whole vehicle. The good thing is that the process is guaranteed so you never have to wax your car for three years. If at any time you are not satisfied with the luster you take it back to the Ming Shop and they prorate it at 1/36 per month since the process was done. I believe there are Ming Shops all over the nation. I highly recommend this process.

suckit
07-15-05, 09:05 PM
I got my ride detailed about a week ago and it also looks good. But damn, 3 year warranty is crazy. Any Ming Shop in northern cali? It's been about a week and my ride is collecting dust like crazy. Every night I use bottle of quick detailer I got from the guy which takes the dust off and keeps my ride shiny. My paint is real smooth and looks almost new again, but I still notice some swirls here and there. Does anybody know if swirls can ever be permanently taken out by detailing? BTW, my ride is BLK!

firedawg911
07-16-05, 11:02 PM
I did find a Ming Shop in Santa Ana, Ca. The web-site is www.mingautodetail.com.
It explains the mirror finish and even provides a price list (which is a little higher than the prices in San Antonio). I see that charge extra for black vehicles. My Escalade looked so good I just had to take my black truck in today to have the mirror finish applied. It came out awesome and they gave me a 10% discount since it was my second vehicle. There are probably a lot of Ming shops around. On the internet search engines look for Ming mirror finish. I hope this helps.

caddycruiser
07-17-05, 12:12 AM
I have a detailing business on the side, which I advertise by word of mouth only, and only charge anywhere from $80-120 for a FULL job. Granted, I'm just too nice to charge anymore and really don't need the money, but it's nice to make a couple extra bucks and I have actually built a VERY loyal customer base in the past 3 years on a part-time only basis.

I'd say up to $200 is reasonable, especially if your truck is pure black and is going to need quite a bit of work to get back to "perfect" again. Anymore than that is just a little too bit over the top, unless you're ABSOLUTELY stunned by cars you've seen them work on. Even then... :rolleyes2

Anyway, here's a plug for my website in the meantime!:
http://www.geocities.com/dkautospa

mobi
07-17-05, 09:57 PM
Does anybody know a Ming Shop,or for that matter,a good detail shop in Portland ,OR?http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/hmmm.gif
Thanks!

EXT EscaLady
07-24-05, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie , but does anyone know of a good detail shop in the bay area?