: Drivetrain gets a makeover..

Florian
06-30-05, 04:14 PM
Took my V in for a shaking that occurred at aound 72-85mph in 5th and 6th gear...well, they took out the tranny and clutch, pasted it back together and took it for a drive and found out that the flywheel was the culprit. New flywheel goes in today and I get her back tomorrow. Just wanted to post so that if anyone else has this mystery shake in the higher gears under load, have em check out the flywheel. Now Ive got new flywheel, clutch, tranny, and rearend! All good.... :halo:

Florian

bryce3
06-30-05, 04:18 PM
My car has a lot of shaking when I brake. I figured it needs an alignment or tire balance.

trukk
06-30-05, 04:42 PM
Check your rotor's, one (or more) may be warped.

-Chris

Rich H
06-30-05, 07:43 PM
Took my V in for a shaking that occurred at aound 72-85mph in 5th and 6th gear...well, they took out the tranny and clutch, pasted it back together and took it for a drive and found out that the flywheel was the culprit. New flywheel goes in today and I get her back tomorrow. Just wanted to post so that if anyone else has this mystery shake in the higher gears under load, have em check out the flywheel. Now Ive got new flywheel, clutch, tranny, and rearend! All good.... :halo:

Florian
This is the first I've heard of the dual mass fly wheel causing vibration which I though it was supposed to prevent. I have suspected it may be causing some of the clunking noises many people report. If it was just the flywheel causing the problem why did they replace everything else in the drivetrain?

Deltasendero
06-30-05, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=trukk]Check your rotor's, one (or more) may be warped.

I went to Brainerd Raceway to get a track lesson and the instructor was telling us not to apply our parking brake, ever, to prevent warping a rotor while we were parked at the track. Good point, I thought. After the long pause he proceeded to tell us that we'd warp them enough just by racing the track.

Loadtoad
06-30-05, 09:14 PM

Florian

Is this shaking in the entire chassis?

hd750
06-30-05, 10:48 PM
When I took my car in for the drivetrain clunk the dealer gave me a tech bulletin about the dual mass flywheel causing the drivetrain clunk. They said it was designed to make that noise!

Florian
06-30-05, 11:40 PM
It is indeed shaking the whole chassis. I thought it was the flywheel, dealer thought it was the tranny. So, I got a new tranny that didnt fix the problem and get a new flywheel too. FWIW, I had a new rearend put in about 15K miles ago, so its not as new.

F

Florian
07-01-05, 01:46 PM
Just got the V back and it drives showroom new. Apparantly the "outer" portion of the flywheel was loose (not sure I understand that, but hey, Im not the tech that fixed it) and needed replacing. There is 0 vib at any speed. Many Kudos to Morris Caddy in No. Ridgeville, OH on doing a great job. BTW I got a new tranny out of it as well....sweet. :D

F

chiro444
07-02-05, 12:40 AM
Florian,
Did you change out your Katech shifter for the UUC yet? I remember a while back that you were going to eventually switch them.

chiro444
07-02-05, 12:43 AM
Florian,
If so, was there any problems switching the units and how do you compare the two?