: 1995 Eldorado Northstar Engine Skips

rochjest
06-30-05, 04:16 PM
Hello...
I have a '95 Eldorado with a Northstar engine. Recently it is beginning to skip once it has warmed up. Prior to that, engine runs fine.
I run premium gas, 93% octine. No water in tank. Has 109,000 miles. Service engine light comes on from time to time, but not when this problem occurs. Light has come on from time to time for over a year. Any thoughts?

LT5
06-30-05, 05:37 PM
Ever do the spark plug's and wire's ?

clusco
06-30-05, 05:40 PM
Say what you will but since I switched from Premium gas to Regular gas my car has been running much rougher than normal.

swimmster
06-30-05, 07:34 PM
i run 87 octane in my 94 eldo and it runs just fine.. runs 14.94-14.97 at the drag strip every weekend. I used to run 92 until the price went thru the roof. Gotta love that Bush family..

Pjs
07-03-05, 01:40 PM
My 95 SLS has been doing that since I bought it a year ago. I've replaced the wires and plugs w/ Delco's, new injectors and fuel rail...pretty much everything except the coils. My engine vibrates for about 15 seconds when it first starts then kinda smooths out. I've tried premium and regular gas and noted there is no difference in how it runs, I keep with the regular.

Ranger
07-03-05, 11:09 PM
My 95 SLS has been doing that since I bought it a year ago. I've replaced the wires and plugs w/ Delco's, new injectors and fuel rail...pretty much everything except the coils. My engine vibrates for about 15 seconds when it first starts then kinda smooths out. I've tried premium and regular gas and noted there is no difference in how it runs, I keep with the regular.
Check all the grounds.

Pjs
07-04-05, 11:30 AM
When the engine was out last time I went through the entire wiring harness checking, cleaning and retaping every connector as well as doing a resistance test on the entire harness. I've checked the grounds several times and can't find a problem. I forgot to say that I've even replaced the O-ring on the pressure relief vavle on the front of the manifold thinking that perhaps I was getting leak but that didn't help either. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Raze
07-05-05, 10:26 AM
Check your intake manifold, there could be a vaccuum leak somewhere. Just try retorquing the bolts when it's cold, I had a rough idle/skip problem that would correct itself once warm and I traced it back to bad intake manifold gaskets. You should also look into your plugwells, is there oil dripping in from the valve covers? Have you tested the coilpack? Hope this helps, goodluck!

eld1995
07-07-05, 04:07 AM
I Get better gas mileage on my 95 eldo when I use premium

Pjs
07-07-05, 07:05 AM
Check your intake manifold, there could be a vaccuum leak somewhere. Just try retorquing the bolts when it's cold, I had a rough idle/skip problem that would correct itself once warm and I traced it back to bad intake manifold gaskets. You should also look into your plugwells, is there oil dripping in from the valve covers? Have you tested the coilpack? Hope this helps, goodluck!

I've checked the intake thoroughly, installed new gaskets and haven't been able to pinpoint a leak. I've had the engine out and have completely resealed it top to bottom except for headgaskets including new cam covers and plugwell o-rings. The only thing I can think of is the coils but others have said that a coil problem should manifest itself more in the form of a pronounced miss as opposed to a slight miss or skip.

Raze
07-08-05, 09:32 AM
What code is the car throwing? you said the SES light comes on from time to time. Have you ever stalled?