: 77 caddy light question..

1970impala
06-30-05, 12:10 PM
Hi, besides the million other questions i have, her is a light question. I am having trouble with the interior light relay in my 77 fleetwood. i know the door handle button on the passenger side is loose and when you are driving and hit a large pothole, the lights inside the car go on. i know it is the button on the handle but i would like to ask if anyone knows what color wire in the door is it that i can tempoarily disconnect from sending the electricity to the relay. I was hoping to find it in the door jam tube and just cut it for now.

Also, where is the relay located for the lighting system? what does it look like because maybe i can pull it from there for now. will it affect anything else?

thanks for any help.

N0DIH
06-30-05, 01:07 PM
When dealing with interior lights on a GM car, always remember, GM liked to do switched grounds and always hot on the bulbs. So it isn't switching the +12v, it is switching the -12V, aka, the ground.

cadillacdeville
07-01-05, 09:49 PM
heres a pic of the one on my 77 sedan deville if you want to just keep the lighted entry from working disconect the pink wire with the black stripe from it the relay should be located on the bottom of the steering colum behind the dash this should keep the lights from coming on unless the door is opened

caddydaddy
07-02-05, 02:28 PM
It could be one of the door jamb switches that isn't adjusted right. I had that problem on my '79 SDV.

1970impala
07-05-05, 09:24 AM
Hi, I was away for the holiday weked. You guys are the greatest! i will try to get to look for both the pink wire AND the door jam switch! I will let you know how i do.

I belong to another chat room that has a place to request parts for our year mustangs. is there any such place that i am supposed to post for a part? I am absolutely desperate for a set of hood hinges for an aluminum hood. My mecahnic is going to want to shoot the hood soon and i am desperate. thanks!