: Shift Solenoid Problem help!!!!

resa156888
06-29-05, 07:10 PM
HELP!! I have a 95 SLS and the car will not go into 2nd or 3rd not sure, will not go past 40 without the RPM going up to 3. Did diagnosis and the code was P029 Shift B Solenoid. Got the kit from Cadillac place and took it to a mechanic and he replaces the solenoid's. One clearly broke. Puts transmission back together and car doing the same thing, giving same code. I went to see the car and the mechanic and he shows me the broken part and I see that he did not change the filter or the bracket. (new parts still there) his excuse was they could not find the filter and they looked for awhile. Of course I'm mad now but he says to please let him go back in the transmission and change it and make sure everything is ok. Did I do that no, I took the car home and will have a certified mechanic at a dealership do it for less than what he was charging. $125.00 (deal yeah he does side work at the shop for less). My question is could the filter not being replaced caused the car to continue to do the same thing and what exactly is the filter there for and what does it do. Or what else do you think it may be. Could a ball out of place or something still have the car doing the same thing also. Please help any advice will be appreciated. And if your wondering the mechanic did not get paid for any of his services rendered considering he kept the car for 3 weeks.

Ranger
06-29-05, 09:49 PM
Well, I am not trans expert but I just drained and refilled mine about two weeks ago as I just turned 100K. I did not even change the "filters". Actually they are very fine screens and where perfectly clean. I just flushed them out to be on the safe side. I do not understand how he "could not find the filter". Stevie Wonder could find them once the pan is dropped.

There are 9 check balls in there though I do not know what effect a misplaced one would cause.

BeelzeBob
06-29-05, 11:44 PM
It isn't that difficult a job...certainly not something that takes 3 weeks...LOL.

If you bought a "filter" for a 4T80E and the mechanic never had one apart before there could be some confusion. The mechanic accessed the valve body to change the shift solenoids by dropping the bottom pan. The 4T80E has no filter in the bottom pan. There are simply pickup screens that keep chunks out of the transfer pump. The fluid from the bottom pan is transfered to the side cover. The actual "filter" is in the side cover area at the pickup to the main line pressure pump. The actual filter in the 4T80E is rarely if ever serviced so if you just asked for or ordered a filter for the 4T80E then you probably got the one inside the side cover and there is no way the mechanic would have seen it so he is telling you the truth.

If a check ball was out of position I would suspect other problems. Not the first thing I would suspect.

It sounds like the mechanic may have made a simple error and that there is an electrical connection to the solenoids left unhooked or the connector is bypassed so the terminals do not mate.

If the 4T80E shift solenoids are completely disconnected the trans defaults to 2nd gear which sounds like what you are describing. The space inside the lower pan is also pretty tight so possibly one of the wires inside the lower pan that route to the shift solenoids (there is a 4 wire harness I believe routed thru the bottom pan) is trapped or pinched somewhere or between the pan and the valve body shorting it out and rendering the shift solenoids inop.

I would suspect that a simple disassembly of the lower pan would tell what is going on. The fact that the symptoms you see now are the same as before is simply due to the fact that the trans defaults to 2 if the solenoids are failed or disconected or the trans has no power. Lots of things could cause this situation: a broken shift solenoid and pinched wires or disconnected wires.

Your mechanic may have made a mistake but it doesn't sound like it was deliberate or dishonest so far.

resa156888
06-30-05, 09:14 AM
The filter he did not replace is a little filter that comes in the solenoid kit and is held in place by a L bracket, that too comes in the kit, and this is the filter that was not replaced. And the reason it had took so long is because he does side jobs and says he was to busy to get to it. He wanted a chance to pull the pan again and look but he had me so mad with the time frame that I just took the car and will have it serviced by a dealership mechanic next week.

jjbuckley
06-30-05, 10:00 AM
The little filter that comes in the kit is located between the 2 shift solenoids, you can not miss it, and the bracket is a very evident item on where it goes to, it can only fit and bolt up one way.

Are you sure they replaced both solenoids? If they have not put that bracket on, then you are looking at the same failure mode as the filter housing will push against the solenoid bases, which could cause you problems down the road.

I think you need to follow Bbob's advise, double check that all connections are made and secure, get the bracket put on and see where you stand.

John

rockytfox
06-30-05, 01:16 PM
I had the same problems just last week. I searched the site and specifically looked for all of BBob's posts. After I replaced the solenoids, I was still experiencing the same codes and the same symptoms of broken/worn out solenoids. I went back, pulled the pan and found that I had replaced the filter but didn't put the bracket on. I also pulled off the wiring and used some GUST air spray to clean the connectors. Now it works just fine. Now I'm not an expert and certainly not a professional mechanic but it only took me about 5 hours to complete everything. Give it a shot yourself and save some money.

resa156888
07-14-05, 10:08 PM
ok so here is the latest. Got my car towed to a transmission shop and they pulled the pan and said the new solenoid that were out on are fine and all the wiring looks good, he said there was some alumium chunks in the pan and since the previous mechanic must have cleaned the pan (he did not tell me there was anything in the pan- first mechanic) and since he was not the one that did this he was not able to tell me what it might be. So now he wants to drop the tranny and disassemble is and look to see what is wrong. $$$$ all I know and it is going to cost me something big. I just want my car. He started to take it apart today but will be done with it tomorrow some time and will call with his findings. Will keep u posted.

resa156888
07-23-05, 12:08 PM
Ok so here is the latest. There are 16 different parts that are broken in the transmission and to just fix those parts it will be 2400.00 and will only have a 6 month warranty but the other option was to rebuild the whole transmission for 3000.00 with a 3 year warranty and they will service the transmissin every year. So I went ahead and had them rebuild it and it is running fine even though that is a lot of money they are keeping the car until the funds are paid but I love my car and will pay it.

rockytfox
07-28-05, 01:25 AM
You could have bought a rebuilt for 1400. I think they are ripping you a bit.

oldgamer
08-03-05, 05:13 PM
rockytfox,
I can't find any filter or bracket between two solenoids. Is it placed on a control plate? How it's looks like?
Thanks

therodman
08-03-05, 06:14 PM
Oldgamer, if I'm not mistaken the shop that just changed mine said there was no bracket and that the kit provides this new bracket to keep the filter from touching or putting pressure on the solenoids like a responder on this thread said. I think it was somethin fox that said the filter bracket keeps the solenoids apart.

therodman
08-03-05, 06:17 PM
Olgamer, it was jjbuckley that said and notice his second paragraph, that's what the shop just told me afer they did mine!

"The little filter that comes in the kit is located between the 2 shift solenoids, you can not miss it, and the bracket is a very evident item on where it goes to, it can only fit and bolt up one way.

Are you sure they replaced both solenoids? If they have not put that bracket on, then you are looking at the same failure mode as the filter housing will push against the solenoid bases, which could cause you problems down the road.

I think you need to follow Sal Collaziano's advise, double check that all connections are made and secure, get the bracket put on and see where you stand"

oldgamer
08-03-05, 11:04 PM
I looked today on a plate and I guess I found it. It looks like black plastic thing between solenoids. Can it be just pulled out with screwdriver? Should I do something more before just pulling it out? It sits there pretty tight. Don't want to brake it.

jjbuckley
08-04-05, 09:21 PM
It will just come right out with a little help, the new solenoid kit comes with the bracket and a longer valve body bolt to hold the bracket in place, if you hold the bracket up to the valve body in its proper place, beween the 2 solenoids, you will see the bolt that you need to replace.

John

rockytfox
08-06-05, 05:13 PM
It will just come right out with a little help, the new solenoid kit comes with the bracket and a longer valve body bolt to hold the bracket in place, if you hold the bracket up to the valve body in its proper place, beween the 2 solenoids, you will see the bolt that you need to replace.

John

Make sure the solenoids are out before you try to remove the filter. It is a tiny square piece of black plastic directly between the solenoids on the side of the valve body. It will come out very easily as it isn't held in by anything. You should have received the L bracket with a long bolt in your new solenoid kit. When you reassemble the valve body with the solenoids and filter in, you will have to use that long bolt in place of a shorter one that was originally on the valve body. The long bolt allows for the extra space taken up by the L bracket.

oldgamer
08-07-05, 01:08 AM
I ordered two solenoids and both scavenger screens. So I didn't ordered kit.
I didn't remove that black square filter yet, I do not want do more harm than good. May be I'll remove it tomorrow, didn't try yet. I'm afraid if I pull it out than it will be too flexible in place when I'll put it back.
Thanks guys for all replays. I'll get my package with solenoids and filters on August, 8.

addison_ii
08-07-05, 01:12 AM
I ordered two solenoids and both scavenger screens. So I didn't ordered kit.
I didn't remove that black square filter yet, I do not want do more harm than good. May be I'll remove it tomorrow, didn't try yet. I'm afraid if I pull it out than it will be too flexible in place when I'll put it back.
Thanks guys for all replays. I'll get my package with solenoids and filters on August, 8.
Where did you get your kit from??

jjbuckley
08-07-05, 10:08 AM
The black filter that goes between the solenoids is hard plastic, it has the square head that you see and the body is a tube with filter screen in it, no problem to pull out and handle, but you really need to get the capture bracket and longer bolt to hold it in place.

John

oldgamer
08-07-05, 10:28 AM
Where did you get your kit from??
I ordered parts from www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com).
jjbuckley,
I think I will take a risk and woun't pull filter with a square head, cause I don't have capture bracket and longer bolt.

Eldyfig
08-07-05, 10:50 AM
resa156888

So I finally see someone is from Jacksonville like myself. Who did you use to do your trans? I had mine done a little over two years ago. Alvies on main street. He does alot of custom work, been around for quite a while. It is him and his two sons. They used to go to the same gym as myself. I was actually referred to him by guys at work who had ther custom classics done by him. He did my 72 Olds years ago. If I would have seen the post earlier, I would have mentioned him to you.

If you ever need any help, let me know. I do some car work on the side for my buddies or people I know. Don't neccessarily do it for money, just to spend time and shoot the breeze.

resa156888
08-09-05, 07:51 PM
Eldyfig

Mr transmission in OP did it. I would have checked around for other places but just let them do it since they already pulled my transmission apart and if I didn't get them to fix it, it would of cost me about 500 just to have them put it back together and that did not include the towing

Eldyfig
08-09-05, 08:29 PM
I know where you are talking about. I am on the westside myself.

Well, at least it is fixed now. You shouldn't have any problem with the trans. Just need to start paying it down so you can get it rolling on the road.

resa156888
08-09-05, 09:04 PM
I know I miss my caddy so much, but I'll have it in a few weeks.