: I am also new on here..77 caddys?

1970impala
06-29-05, 01:49 PM
Hi, I am Jon and I belong to several other chat groups and needed one for my 77 caddy fleetwood brougham. I hope i am in the right place. Is there anyone on here with a 77 like mine for some answers to some questions? I like my car and wish to keep it. I just had the steering column replaced at the cost of 450.00 and figured i could do some work on my own. :confused: Thanks.

N0DIH
06-29-05, 03:05 PM
By all means! This is the place, welcome!

The 77-96 D/B chassis are all similar, so you have found the right place!

Lots of parts and lots of interchange! GM parts swapping is fun!!

caddydaddy
06-29-05, 03:22 PM
Welcome! I used to have a '78 Fleetwood Brougham, very similar car. I currently have a '79 SDV.

davesdeville
06-29-05, 04:12 PM
You definately came to the right place. I've got a dead 78 Fleetwood in the back yard that I had to do too much work on myself (she developed a rod knock so it's probably going to get a full restoration in a year or 2 or will be junked.)

There's plenty of performance stuff out there too :)

caddydaddy
06-30-05, 07:51 AM
Hmm, my '78 Fleetwood also died of rod knock! Does yours have the aluminum hood? Mine did, and it now resides on my '79 SDV.

1970impala
06-30-05, 08:16 AM
Hmm, my '78 Fleetwood also died of rod knock! Does yours have the aluminum hood? Mine did, and it now resides on my '79 SDV.

Hi, First, i wish to say "thanks" to NODIH,DAVESDEVILLE and you CADDYDADDY. Cool titles. I appreciate the hospilitality i've been given on here. God knows I need to talk to someone to help me out on my 77. I refuse to let my car die. I guess i should start by letting you know about my car. Its a 77 caddy fleetwood brougham. Its all silver with a deluxe..or what i think is deluxe interior. It has a "tuxedo" silver vynil top. It also has the foot rests in the back. it has a 425 carb. I don't know the "birthdate" or where i can find the factory build sheet in this car...if there is one. I will post a pic as soon as the 4th holiday is over.

To answer one question of yours, mine does not have a alum hood....however, my hood needs to be replaced so i went to the yard and i was amazed that there was another fleetwood with a nice hood...alum! I freaked out!!! I bought it and have it at home waiting. Caddydaddy, you brought up my very first question. When my body shop guy finally gets around to painting the alum hood....do i need special hood hinges for this hood or can i use the factory ones i have on my metal hood now. I was stupid enough NOT to take the darn hinges...:helpless:. I can't believe i was that dumb. it was at one of those yards where it is a u-pull-it and the inventory changes by the day.

oh JFI, I take great pride in my car, you may or may not like this story..., I was in an accident with my car 2 years ago. It was 7:00AM. I was going to work with my wife and my 3 month old daughter in the back seat (in a car seat). it was 1 week before christmas and completely dark outside. i was crusing at approx 35-40 MPH when a Young kid's Honda Civic pulled out right in front of us. BAM! My fleetwood hit his quarter panel head on. his bumper was on the front door step of the house on the corner (the cops had to carry it back to the tow truck). anyway, my car needed a replacement front bumper and cracked the headlight bucket. thats it! his car was totaled. I got the parts and did it in 1 saturday. by the way, my daughter slept through the entire incident. I love these cars!

I have a ton more questions if you on here don't mind helping me out. :worship:

caddydaddy
06-30-05, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=1970impala] Caddydaddy, you brought up my very first question. When my body shop guy finally gets around to painting the alum hood....do i need special hood hinges for this hood or can i use the factory ones i have on my metal hood now.[QUOTE]

Yes you will need the different springs from the hinges. I think the hinges are the same, but the springs from the aluminum hooded cars are MUCH lighter! You might end up bending the hood trying to close it against the steel hoods hinges.

1970impala
06-30-05, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=1970impala] Caddydaddy, you brought up my very first question. When my body shop guy finally gets around to painting the alum hood....do i need special hood hinges for this hood or can i use the factory ones i have on my metal hood now.[QUOTE]

Yes you will need the different springs from the hinges. I think the hinges are the same, but the springs from the aluminum hooded cars are MUCH lighter! You might end up bending the hood trying to close it against the steel hoods hinges.

Hi, any idea where i can find a set? thanks.

caddydaddy
06-30-05, 09:17 AM
Othen than keep searching the junkyards, eBay, Hemmings, I'm not sure. Here's what Cadillacs had the aluminum hoods:

"Aluminum Hoods-An aluminum hood is installed on California Sedan DeVilles, all Sedan DeVilles equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection and all Federal Carburetor Broughams with Standard Emission System (NA2).
Aluminum hoods are identified by a large letter "A"
stamped on the hood reinforcement near the hood latch."

1970impala
06-30-05, 11:03 AM
Othen than keep searching the junkyards, eBay, Hemmings, I'm not sure. Here's what Cadillacs had the aluminum hoods:

"Aluminum Hoods-An aluminum hood is installed on California Sedan DeVilles, all Sedan DeVilles equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection and all Federal Carburetor Broughams with Standard Emission System (NA2).
Aluminum hoods are identified by a large letter "A"
stamped on the hood reinforcement near the hood latch."

that is great info. thanks. Man, i wish i had that car back to grab those. well if anyone finds a set, please let me know.

I have another question which i believe i am supposed to post seperately, which i will. thanks!

N0DIH
06-30-05, 12:22 PM
Or just take a magnet to the boneyard!

davesdeville
07-01-05, 03:25 AM
You might be able to weaken those springs with a torch. My aluminum hood seems to be pretty rigid and unless the steel one weighs a TON I doubt those springs (especially heated springs) would bend it anyway. Just an idea. But then again the hood on my 75 does weigh just about a ton.

1970impala
07-26-05, 08:33 AM
You might be able to weaken those springs with a torch. My aluminum hood seems to be pretty rigid and unless the steel one weighs a TON I doubt those springs (especially heated springs) would bend it anyway. Just an idea. But then again the hood on my 75 does weigh just about a ton.

hi, do you have an alum hood with regular springs? i am desperate. thanks.

N0DIH
07-26-05, 01:15 PM
I sure wish they made an Aluminum hood for my 94 Fleetwood Brougham.

Did they make aluminum radiator core supports too? The G Bodies they did, mainly with diesels, but some gasoline cars got them too.