: Oil change at 3K or when oil life=10%?

highonchai
06-28-05, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone. My '96 SLS has 60,000 miles on it. Ive had one oil change on it in the past 3 or 4 months ive owned it. I had that oil change done when the oil live indicator got down to 5% or so (whenever it flashed at me to get the oil changed) So now ive driven it almost 3,000 miles since then, but the oil life indicator is at 62%! So my question is: Should i be changing my oil every 3K miles or wait until the oil life is low? I know this will just add to "The Great Cadillac Forums Oil Debate," but is it worth it to change it now, or just let the indicator tell me when its ready? The oil doesnt look very cruddy and ive only had to add half a quart in 3000 miles, so i figure im doing pretty well. Any opinions? Thanks

eldorado1
06-28-05, 09:39 PM
wait until the oil life is low

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/yup.gif

JimD
06-28-05, 09:43 PM
You can trust the oil life monitor (OLM) down to 0% and even several hundred miles beyond if you can tolerate the message.

Three thousand mile oil changes are a waste of money and oil for your engine given today's oil chemistry.

My '98 averages 6,800 miles between oil changes based on the OLM. Current mileage = 14X,000.

peteski
06-28-05, 10:13 PM
I would trust the OLM.

Funny, the way I drive, my 93 Eldo almost never gives me more than 4000-5000 miles between oil changes.

And also follow your own advice from another thread - use 10W40 oil instead the recommended one!

Sorry, couldn't help myself on the last one...

:lildevil:
Peteski

highonchai
06-29-05, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I figure ill get a bit over 6K mi between changes. thanks again!