: LPE is on

urbanski
06-28-05, 08:02 PM
so....
fairly straight-forward for a non-gearhead like me. 6/10 on "my" scale, plus 3 beers.

I couldn't believe how DIRTY the MAF was!! Feel sorry for that bee that didn't make it :(
I hate plastic fasteners. The rubber boot of doom was a snap, but in "ohmy.jpg" I wonder if i took out too much LOL

After gutting everything, the box install was easy. Sealed her up w/ foil tape. The crappy crummy horribly wimpy MAF clamps LPE provided suck, likely will get real ones, and one was too small anyway :rolleyes:
Used a stock clamp to make it work.

No whistles, no vast difference in "sucking" noises or anything...but no x-pipe either, and my tune isn't optimized for it either. I'll dyno her once I get my optimized tune and x-pipe :D
:cheers:

F-117
06-28-05, 08:05 PM
How did that crap get to your MAF ??? You running sans aircleaner?

StealthV
06-28-05, 08:16 PM
Did you have your old filter seated properly in the airbox? Regardless, you don't have that problem anymore. :thumbsup:

Told ya, LPE = 2 credits towards gearhead certification. You'll be pulling the camshaft before 2006 is done. ;)

TEX-V
06-28-05, 08:18 PM
so....
fairly straight-forward for a non-gearhead like me. 6/10 on "my" scale, plus 3 beers.

I couldn't believe how DIRTY the MAF was!! Feel sorry for that bee that didn't make it :(
I hate plastic fasteners. The rubber boot of doom was a snap, but in "ohmy.jpg" I wonder if i took out too much LOL

After gutting everything, the box install was easy. Sealed her up w/ foil tape. The crappy crummy horribly wimpy MAF clamps LPE provided suck, likely will get real ones, and one was too small anyway :rolleyes:
Used a stock clamp to make it work.

No whistles, no vast difference in "sucking" noises or anything...but no x-pipe either, and my tune isn't optimized for it either. I'll dyno her once I get my optimized tune and x-pipe :D
Where are you getting it tuned??

CVP33
06-28-05, 08:22 PM
F-117 - He painted his TB to MAF pipe.
TEX-V - Where does everyone get a quality tune? StealthV of course.

I have the LPE, TB to MAF pipe, Headers and X-pipe. With the tune I can hear a distinct intake breath from the motor when I 'get on it'. My favorite is loading up in 2nd or 3rd at say around 3,000 to 3,200 rpms. Maintain the rpm and then hammer it! You can hear the engine gulp in the air! What a rush. :lildevil:

urbanski
06-28-05, 08:32 PM
i have no idea how my MAF got that way...but you know me...i probably installed the FFV air filter wrong LOL

CVP....I hear that intake woosh or roar or whatever you want to call it, but not really any louder than before. I hope Mr. X improves things more :D

StealthV
06-28-05, 08:46 PM
Mr. X plus Mr. Tune and you'll be Mr. Bad. :cowboy:

lasstss
06-28-05, 08:56 PM
Just an FYI.. While I was at the dyno I ran with the factory air box w/K&N.
I then took it off and ran with no air cleaner at all. w/no air cleaner I lost 1 HP..:hmm: Of course Im still blaming the Dyno..

Has anyone else A/B these set ups on a dyno?

HDMLNIUM
06-28-05, 09:47 PM
I then took it off and ran with no air cleaner at all. w/no air cleaner I lost 1 HP..:hmm: Of course Im still blaming the Dyno..

Thursday if I remember, I will make one dyno pull with the LPE with the K&N.
The second run I will make with the K&N off and see what the difference is..
If I remember of course.....:thumbsup:

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
Westers, B&B Headers-high flow cats-and 3" resonator exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, UUC shifter, Full BMR
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

AmesCTS-V
06-28-05, 11:23 PM
When you guys are changing things on the dyno do keep in mind the car could show big gains/loses and they will go away with some driving as the computer re-learns things. It's just tough to make big hardware changes on the dyno.

lawfive
06-29-05, 02:24 AM
Not to mention changes due to engine heat.

Urbanski, what's that black curvy mod between your FRCs? Oh, wait; it's coming back to me. Sorry... The Magnacharger just seems so much like stock to me now...

urbanski
06-29-05, 07:41 AM

Urbanski, what's that black curvy mod between your FRCs? Oh, wait; it's coming back to me. Sorry... The Magnacharger just seems so much like stock to me now...
NA an LOVIN it baby!! :cheers:

trukk
06-29-05, 10:29 AM

I just dropped the LPE in last night. I need to go hit the dyno again, and see what the difference is. It feels like it revs quicker now. I notice no increase in intake noise. The corsa / RT Cats combo now seems to 'pop' a bit less between shifts (but it's still there, and still anoying as hell).

Next step is a tune. Any recomendations for a tuner in the MD area?

-Chris

wildwhl
06-29-05, 11:01 AM

:histeric:

lawfive, you :worship:

urbanski
06-29-05, 12:00 PM
Next step is a tune. Any recomendations for a tuner in the MD area?

-Chris
StealthV

thebigjimsho
06-29-05, 12:23 PM
Stealth's in Maryland?

urbanski
06-29-05, 12:51 PM
Stealth's in Maryland?
no :)
but he's who you need for a decent tune :)

trukk
06-29-05, 03:43 PM
I would expect he would need some sort of logging for my specific car, since my mods are slightly different than normal (RT Cats, Corsa and LPE). I may well go this route, however I want to look at all angles. I'd need to get some sort of logging program (EFILive, I expect since that's what he uses), and then potentially buy a 2nd PCM, so I have full access to my car (daily driver).

I also have a lot of respect for Rick, but I'm not ready to drink the Koolaid just yet. These forums can pump someone up or down quick, and I'd like to have some options to look at in addition to the Forum darling.

None of this is meant to be a slam on Rick, just my observation. Remember when the BMR kit first came out, and EVERYONE thought it was the holy grail, then everyone bashed the hell out of it, and now it is accepted as good partial solution. Same with the B&B when it came out, everyone on the wagon, then off again (resonation), then mostly back on again.

Nearly all feedback about Rick has been positive, with the exception of a few who bash about pricing (don't understand capitalism I guess). Martin (lasstss) has said good things, which goes a long way in my book.

Anyway, back to my thread hijack :D anyone know any good tuners in the MD area?

-Chris

urbanski
06-29-05, 03:51 PM
...the Forum darling.
-Chris
you should see him in a bikini :hide: :bouncy: :sneaky:

keeksv
06-29-05, 04:20 PM
Chris--wish I could help a fellow Marylander, but as you know, people over here on the ES are more adept at tuning John Deere than GM.

My mods are similar to yours, so I would be curious as to what you come up with, and would probably travel across the bridge to follow up; hell, I go there for Trader Joe's, why not for a performance tune?

eric

StealthV
06-29-05, 04:51 PM
Chris, unless you'd like to have EFLive for long term use; I can loan you a cable for logging data. But of course the resultant tune will transform your car into a gocart (with no Corsa pop.) :cowboy:

The next few weeks are chaos for me; mid-July would work best. Let me know. :cheers:

trukk
06-30-05, 12:24 PM
Chris, unless you'd like to have EFLive for long term use; I can loan you a cable for logging data. But of course the resultant tune will transform your car into a gocart (with no Corsa pop.) :cowboy:

The next few weeks are chaos for me; mid-July would work best. Let me know. :cheers:

Rick,

I'll try and hook up with you later in the summer, thanks for the reply and the offer.

A few Questions:

1) Is pre-tune logging enough? Or would you also need some post tune logging, and then tweek the tune again if necessary? [I'm very ignorant when it comes to this.]
2) Corsa burble is NICE. Corsa pop SUCKS. With the Random Tech Cats, my car sounds like a freaking Chevelle or Nova on decel, and on high rev quick shifts. This is probabaly my main reason for wanting a tune, to make it sound like badass Cadillac, and not a pre-emmisions muscle car (when the wife says "why the f\/ck does the car sound like that?", you know you need to do something :D ) Without a bunch of test & tune sessions, will you be able to work this out for a Corsa/RT Cats combo?
3) The benefits you've mentioned in other threads, I'm certainly insterested in (no RPM hang, freer reving, etc.). I'm unsure if some of the features our cars come with are foreign enough to other tuners, that they wouldn't know to address it in a tune (i.e. RPM hang, dual mass flywheel, others?), or if tuning an LSx is fairly straight forward across the board?

Anyway, I'm just like any other customer, I want the best, at the lowest price (or free), NOW, with no inconvienance (to me of course, screw the vendor) :rolleyes: . Oh and with zero risk of course :D

Seriously though, I guess bottom line is, I want a good custom tune, that is specific to my car and mods, has good results, is SAFE, and isn't overly expensive and inconvienant.

I hope this came across right, I'm not trying to bust balls here, just trying to educate myself, and do some homework prior to getting PCM Brain Surgery. I'm paraniod that my baby will end up with a labotomy :disappoin , and have some nasty meltdown.

-Chris

StealthV
06-30-05, 01:01 PM
1. Sounds like you want the gnat's ass perfectly dialed in solution; thus before and after with a second tweak if needed is obviously better.
2. The Corsa back fire is a simple fix for tuners that have experience at resolving it. It is a non issue for me; whatever the owner wants.
3. Most, not all, mail order or speed shop tuners typically change only things that matter on the dyno - WOT air:fuel ratio, bump up the timing, remove torque management and charge $300 to $500. From that perspective a LS6 is just another LSx engine. Any shop that says they can fully tune your car with a handful of 4th gear dyno runs to dial in the WOT air:fuel ratio and bump the timing up doesn't know how to really change the calibration to match the machine and its everyday environment.

Lowest price? That I won't guarantee as I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for in knowledge, product, service and support after the sale. There are no bargain basement, cookie cutter, Walmart tunes coming from StealthV. :cheers:

urbanski
06-30-05, 01:11 PM
lowest price....there is some guy on e-bay selling $30 PCM tunes for the V
go check it out :D :p

willsctsv
06-30-05, 02:52 PM
Some guy looked at me sideways the other night :annoyed: , so I tuned him up for free!:want: ....

trukk
06-30-05, 03:12 PM
1. Sounds like you want the gnat's ass perfectly dialed in solution; thus before and after with a second tweak if needed is obviously better.

Don't we all :D . Honestly though for me, the most important thing is something safe, that performs.

2. The Corsa back fire is a simple fix for tuners that have experience at resolving it. It is a non issue for me; whatever the owner wants.

It wasn't that bad for me untill I put the Random Tech Cats on, now it's a cacophony. Like Snap Crackle and Pop went on a 'roid binge. Again, I'm ignorant on these things, is the underlying cause the same, thus the addition of the Cats won't really matter as the soultion will remain the same? Or is adding in that extra element something that will require more testing/tunning on your part?

3. Most, not all, mail order or speed shop tuners typically change only things that matter on the dyno - WOT air:fuel ratio, bump up the timing, remove torque management and charge $300 to $500. From that perspective a LS6 is just another LSx engine. Any shop that says they can fully tune your car with a handful of 4th gear dyno runs to dial in the WOT air:fuel ratio and bump the timing up doesn't know how to really change the calibration to match the machine and its everyday environment.

I'm ignorant of the 'best' way to tune (man I really need a dunce hat emiticon.) The dyno must bring something to the equation, or all 'custom' tuners would just drive the car around on the street, logging data, and then tune from that. I checked with one local tuner and he indicated that that is what they do, and don't use a dyno. Perhaps a combo of both is best? I guess that's why I'm asking, because I just don't know :)

Lowest price? That I won't guarantee as I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for in knowledge, product, service and support after the sale. There are no bargain basement, cookie cutter, Walmart tunes coming from StealthV. :cheers:

Heh, I'm not sure where you infered the lowest price thing from. I guess the old subtlety of sarcasm on the net has reared it's head.

When I said:

Anyway, I'm just like any other customer, I want the best, at the lowest price (or free), NOW, with no inconvienance (to me of course, screw the vendor) . Oh and with zero risk of course.
This was meant to be totally tongue in cheek. I mean, who doesn't want everything perfect for nothing, with no hassle? Unrrealistic? Hell yes. Then again I still believe in Santa :xlol:

My real requirements, I think I laid out fairly well:

Seriously though, I guess bottom line is, I want a good custom tune, that is specific to my car and mods, has good results, is SAFE, and isn't overly expensive and inconvienant.
Will I be able to find someone to meet all these requirements, I hope so but maybe not. If I lived in Minesota, I think I'd be set, but I don't.

I know a lot of this is premature, since it's my understanding that you haven't come fully to market with this offering yet anyway (unless I missed a post somewhere). Also, some of this is me just thinking out loud (mentioned that ignorant part already, right?)

Thanks for the reply,

Chris
"Thread Assasin" :(

urbanski
06-30-05, 03:28 PM
installing the LPE assasinated my freakin hands and arms....i'm one gigantic bruise now

trukk
06-30-05, 03:36 PM
installing the LPE assasinated my freakin hands and arms....i'm one gigantic bruise now

Heh, I did mine on Tuesday night. Six cuts on the right hand (ye olde snorkel remover), none on the left.

-Chris

Barak
06-30-05, 05:28 PM
StealthV,

What is the price for your tune? I'm going to be out of town in mid-July and won't be able to drive the V, so I figure that may be a good time to send you the PCM.

CVP33
06-30-05, 09:31 PM
Chris and Urb can hang with me anytime. I've yet to do a mod on the V that doesn't leave me bloodied and/or bruise. Except maybe the LS6 emblem. :histeric:

You gotta give us credit though for not giving up. :cookoo:

StealthV
06-30-05, 10:32 PM
Chris

A dyno where one can vary the load and simulate actual real world conditions makes for a very good tuning tool. Most shops don't have this style of dyno because of cost. The strap it down and run it to rev limiter in 4th gear typical shop is not worth much when it comes to streetability of a tune. It is better than nothing, but a car does not behave the same in the real world as it does on a roller. Air:fuel ratios, aero loading, rolling resistance, idle, part throttle tuning, etc. on the street are what counts. WOT tuning in 4th gear on a dyno is extremely easy! From the shop's perspective: easy to perform, low cost to provide and provides big numbers for the internet forums.

Logging data on the street or track, making iterations and logging more data again to validate takes an immense amout of time. At the end of the day, most consumers only want to know "how much did you gain on the dyno?" and dyno numbers are what sells. It is extremely hard to quantify drivability.

Recall Urby's $30 tune on ebay? That person on ebay is a very well respected GM tuner that is hired by tuning shops around the country to come in and dyno tune vehicles. Since he is an acquaitance of mine, he gave me the $30 tune. That $30 tune in a V with headers did 390 RWHP on the dyno. There are litterally just a handful of things changed in the tune - air:fuel ratio and timing. I've loaded the $30 tune in my V and have driven it; it wasn't in there very long because I didn't like how it drove on the street - pretty much a pooch.

The real world is where we drive our Vs and where it needs to perform. If you have a local tuner that does real world tuning - it is probably worth checking out. Tuning remotely can be done if the customer is willing to put forth the effort of collecting good data.

There are three supercharged and four naturally aspirated Vs (by tomorrow) in the world running StealthV calibrations under a carefully controlled release. A good example is with the supercharged tunes - even if the StealthV tune made less power than the stock Maggie tune (it doesn't), I'd bet none of them would give it up because of the drivability improvements.

The Corsa pop or B&B cackle for the other guys - it doesn't matter what cats, exhaust, headers, etc. you have, I guarantee it'll be gone if that is your choice.

Ask your prospective tuner if they calibrate every cell from idle to redline at all engine loads of the volumetric efficiency map to within less than 1% for your vehicle. If you get a "Huh?" find another tuner. If they say "yes, and then we calibrate X and then Y and then Z" - you've found the needle in the haystack.

Barak
06-30-05, 11:47 PM
So what's the price????

knockout_tx
07-01-05, 12:35 AM
V......When you get time can you PM or Email me what needs to be done, how long it takes, is it a must to send the computer to you,what options I might have to choose from, do I need to have long tubes or high flow cats before the tune, and I wish you had said something about that POS air hose that the V comes with and I would have gotten your tube before I ordered and installed the LPE.........Has anyone ever looked inside the plastic tube :want: ......you will not believe your eyes.

knockout_tx@yahoo.com

StealthV
07-01-05, 12:38 AM
Price depends on what options one wants - some tunes are much more involved than others. When the full suite is available for public consumption, pricing will be released and it won't scare you. It was my intent not to discuss any tuning until the full line is ready - there is still much work to be done. Blame happy early pilot customers for spilling the beans. In hindsight, should have made them sign a NDA. :canttalk: ;)

urbanski
07-01-05, 12:50 PM
ARecall Urby's $30 tune on ebay? That person on ebay is a very well respected GM tuner that is hired by tuning shops around the country to come in and dyno tune vehicles. Since he is an acquaitance of mine, he gave me the $30 tune. ...
i was just commenting on the price, certainly never meant to imply the guy himself was a dirtbag or anything...no offense to either you or him, ok?

CVP33
07-01-05, 06:43 PM
What tune? I don't know anything about any tune.

promise not to kill me now?

urbanski
07-01-05, 08:18 PM
heck yeah

what's a tune.........

hey CVP how ya like the latest one eh? HOLY HELL is all i can say :D

ronr
07-02-05, 01:36 AM
There are three supercharged and four naturally aspirated Vs (by tomorrow) in the world running StealthV calibrations under a carefully controlled release. A good example is with the supercharged tunes - even if the StealthV tune made less power than the stock Maggie tune (it doesn't), I'd bet none of them would give it up because of the drivability improvements.

As one of the 3 with the supercharged tunes I'll support this comment. It does make more power than the stock tune but if it didn't I still wouldn't change back. I really can't say enough good about the tune and many of the features StealthV won't let us brag about...yet :rolleyes:

CVP33
07-02-05, 10:31 AM
Hypothetically speaking if StealthV did have a tune I suspect that it would improve drivability, increase performance and literally plant yer' ass in the seat at anything over 3,000 rpms. That is of course hypothetically speaking. :hide:

StealthV
07-02-05, 10:39 AM
You guys are killing me. :histeric:

urbanski
07-02-05, 08:09 PM
yo CVP

I don't have any idea what a "tune" is, or even who "StealthV" is....

but I just did a third gear 20-90 in 10.8sec, 75-85 in 1.5sec......
the 20-90 is almost 2 seconds faster than w/ the Gen I "tune". heh.

I forgot what WWs numbers are.

VELOSE
07-07-05, 12:40 PM
Ok, I need to know more about this tune. I should be receiving the Bassani exhaust this week and the Maggie will be here next week.

From what I hear, Magnacharger calibrates the Superchips device to whatever modifications you have on your car when they ship your kit. If StealthV's tune supercedes the quality of tune from Superchips, I'm in and how do I get tuned? Also, is there a better CAI for the Magnacharger than the one supplied by them?