: Newbie here<!> With some ?'s

sausajes
06-28-05, 04:41 PM
i recently got my opa's 1979 deville d'elegance. And i frickin love it.
Its in amazing condition with 77plus K on it. Theres mirrow rust on the two back fenders. Is there anything that can be done to make that 7.0 liter any faster?
Im also looking for some 20-22 inch rims for it. O yeha ik wanted to put a deck in the glove box and keep it original.

90Brougham350
06-28-05, 06:22 PM
Well, naturally to get things off, a good tune up. Swapping the rear cogs would help alot too, you have highway gears in there right now. There's a lot of guys who know more about your specific vehicle than I do, I'm sure they'll pitch in. Good luck.

Brian

N0DIH
06-28-05, 07:21 PM
Beef up a THM200 4R and drop it in, gives you OD and a better first gear (2.74 vs 2.48), so first gear will feel like you have a 3.08's when you really have 2.73's. And give you an ultra low 1.83 ratio in OD. So consider the THM200 4R's don't have the WOT kickout to D, you will have top speed like no other!

Add a set of 2.25" dual exhaust, rejet the Q-Jet, and have fun. Maybe if you are nutty enough, pull the heads, port them, get a modern cam, and see what power the 425 can really do.

Remember, it isn't a small block Chevy, don't drive it like one, it won't rev like it and will self destruct if you do. Keep it below 5000 rpm.

davesdeville
06-29-05, 04:11 AM
Beef up a weak tranny to stick it behind 7 liters of V8? You'd have to beef it up just for it to live for more than 20k. I don't think that's where you need to start for the mild performance benefit. Hell with that amount of money you could stick a cam in and spray it with a 125 shot and have some real performance.