: Headgaskets

Aurora By Olds
11-05-03, 12:00 AM
I've got the head sets for both sides, and I will have a time-sert kit on the way soon (unless someone has one that they will sell me cheap, hint hint).
I would like to know, while removing the engine, is there a "master harness" or a place where many of the wires connect that I can look for to make it a bit easier?
Also, what is the best way to disconnect and save the refrigerant from the A/C?
Other than that, all I need now is some time.

AKPsiMC03
11-05-03, 10:16 AM
If its R-134a in the AC system then it is really cheap to recharge. R-12 is the expensive one cus some hippie tree-huggers said its bad for the earth.

But if it is R-134a, which it probably is, my 95 eldo has it, then dony worry about saving it

zonie77
11-05-03, 10:47 PM
The wiring harness was the most tedious. If you're dropping the cradle leave everything attached to the engine and disconnect the ends. ( Assuming it's similar to the Seville) The end under the dash is actually easy to disconnect and pull out. The end near the battery isn't that bad either once you take the cover off. When the cradle's out disco whatever else you have to.

Which way are you pulling it?

davesdeville
11-05-03, 11:03 PM
The "hippie tree huggers" were right. R12 refrigerant was banned from use in new cars in 1993.

AKPsiMC03
11-05-03, 11:55 PM
The "hippie tree huggers" were right. R12 refrigerant was banned from use in new cars in 1993.

it was that long ago? i thought it was more recent than that. lol

Aurora By Olds
11-05-03, 11:57 PM
Well, I was going to try to save the R-134a, so I didn't have to break the seal on the system as i have done in a few cars now. Just remove the compressor and shove it off to the side with the lines attached. BUt I suppose for what its worth and the hassle, I will just vent it and recharge it. It's easy enough, I supppose.
As for the wiring, come to think of it, should be different than the seville. In the Aurora, the battery is under the back seat (I dont believe the seville is), which makes that portion different right away. As for the drivability and emissions wiring, it should be pretty much similar. They are the exact same in that layout.
By the way, I will be dropping it out the bottom, subframe and all. It is the easiest, and the way I am most familiar with.
Thanks for the replies.

zonie77
11-06-03, 12:25 AM
If it's coming out the bottom you have to break the lines apart. Tape them so you get minimum moisture. 134 and 12 and the oil and the dessicant in the dryer all absorb water.
Tape the ends of the lines and you may not have to evacuate it later.