: Ram Air For V???

V-Love
06-27-05, 03:57 AM
I see the cold air intake boxes(Lingenfelter $240, More $220). Has anyone thought about a Ram Air system? Mabey run the box behind the grille. Or, the hood scoop. Just a thought. It seems you could force a lot more air into the motor. Mabey get big HP gains.

Texan V
06-27-05, 05:50 AM
Do it ! :thumbsup:

Parker
06-27-05, 05:54 AM
You sure could try it.

V-seriesTech
06-27-05, 08:17 AM
I see the cold air intake boxes(Lingenfelter $240, More $220). Has anyone thought about a Ram Air system? Mabey run the box behind the grille. Or, the hood scoop. Just a thought. It seems you could force a lot more air into the motor. Mabey get big HP gains.

I've been thinking of ways myself man,..the grill would work but, it wtill has to route BEHIND the headlight. So, that idea would work but, the air would still have to work to get there. What you could do for the time being is, look behind your grill, and you'll see the factory routeing for the air intake, you'll notice it has a lip that the air has to travel up, and over(like a bowl) to get into the intake path. It's rubber,..and very flexable, you may want to grab yourself a razor, and cut off the lip. It's an easy mod,...and although not worth tons of power, it is free, and it HAS to work. Even if its a couple of horses.

For the hood mod, I was thinking of a NACA duct or something. That would probably look pretty good, and ofcourse would be functional. The only other way around that,...the most direct way to get in the air, would be by altering the headlight. As the blank area between your mesh grill and the headlight would be an awesome area for a scoop BUT, the part of the headlight is astually behind it. So, that theory wouldn't work, unless you cut a hole in you headlight( it sounds crazy but you would never see the altered part). I don't recommen anyone does this with there GOOD headlight, as the possable risk of "messing up" could be costly.

Jamie

1gCtsV05
06-27-05, 08:42 AM
if you dont mind loosing a "driving light".. remove the bracket for the "driving light" and "turn signal"...
I do not remember if the lights are 1 unit or 2 but if you can remove the "driving light" remove it, or otherwise dremel that 1/2 off...you can replace it with a duct...seal them together.. run the hosing...
kinda like the M3 aftermarket aerokits...

CTSV05
06-27-05, 09:28 AM
I also have given this some thought.

I see a small hood scoop in my mind. Dead center, something like a slit/opening, raised up just an inch or so, then you could make a pan move the mass airflow, and it would be a straight shot into the throttle body.

I would need a hood to play with, AND some free time.

1gCtsV05
06-27-05, 09:48 AM
I also have given this some thought.

I see a small hood scoop in my mind. Dead center, something like a slit/opening, raised up just an inch or so, then you could make a pan move the mass airflow, and it would be a straight shot into the throttle body.

I would need a hood to play with, AND some free time.

New Z06 hood is what you just describe!
http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-11191-211504-989/ZO6(1).jpg

thebigjimsho
06-27-05, 09:57 AM
What kind of hp gains are you guys thinking is there? It's an idea if you want cool, clean air for a couple hp. But "ram" air is mostly a myth. You can get more air flowing with a Turbonator than whatever speed your driving.

GNSCOTT
06-27-05, 11:56 AM
Jim is right. Ram air is a joke unless you are doing like 125mph and have a system w/out a bunch of bends.

Kadonny
06-27-05, 12:53 PM
Jim is right. Ram air is a joke unless you are doing like 125mph and have a system w/out a bunch of bends.

Who cares, it looks cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
06-27-05, 01:15 PM
Who cares, it looks cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Not arguing that. I'm a big fan of the changes on the '05 GTO. And I've always loved a blacked-out WS6.

V-seriesTech
06-27-05, 01:53 PM

125mph plus daily is the norm.:yup: We have 5 lane open highways. Therefore, ram air is a must. Either way, whenever you give the air a straight path into the motor, an increase will be made, especially if pressurized. Any race car you look at has a direct intake path. No crazy bends to deal with, no restrictions...nada. Providing a direct route, could only help.

StealthV
06-27-05, 03:16 PM
Since installing the LPE, I've been thinking about something along these lines and have a simple idea that I'm going to try for the open element filter setup.

By logging some key data from the PCM during some low and high speed runs, it will be easy to validate if the idea works. Look for a photo how-to and results in a few weeks after I get the chaos of relocating to another state behind me. :)

CTSV05
06-27-05, 04:08 PM
Well this is old school but....we had a 'Bu that went from a flat hood to a scoop, I sealed off the carb from underside air and picked up .28 in the qtr. at only a trap speed of 105.

So I personally have seen the effects of forced cooler air on horsepower gains.

CTSV05
06-27-05, 04:09 PM
New Z06 hood is what you just describe!
http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-11191-211504-989/ZO6(1).jpg

I can think of worse looks to copy :)!!!

odysseus
06-27-05, 05:12 PM
If someone would mass produce this with a large panel filter somewhere in the path, it would be stealth ram-air.

CTSV05
06-27-05, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but where to put the filter? They obviously don't have all the streetablity items we need either.

ace996
06-27-05, 08:05 PM
Ram air is not a major power adder, but companies spend piles of cash to have it. If you can add 5hp to a motor with a better induction system...its 5 hp! Race cars and bikes all use some type of ram-system because it works. Making a filter element breathe better, making an airbox larger, and pressurizing it will lead to better efficiency and more power. For those that don't road-race, taking the driver brake duct and routing that to the bottom of the airbox would be a no-brainer...if there's room(I haven't taken the box apart, yet).

I've made a modified airbox for my MR2Spyder. It had an AEM intake that placed the airfilter in the drivers-side rear bumper. I connected a tube to the intake, behind the driver's door, ran the tube to the rear-bumper and made a custom-sealed airbox.

Take a plastic bag, place it in the area where the box will go. Pour expanding foam in the bag and watch it fill the void. Fiberglass the foamed-bag and pour gas in it to remove the foam...Voila...custom sealed airbox. Of course one needs to crack/cut the box so as to facilitate airfilter maintenance. Glass on a few tabs to join the pieces together...use some weatherstripping to seal the box and connect the feed tube to the box----ram-air custom airbox.

I think my wife may call the lawyer if I do something like that to the V, but the wheels have been turning....

If glassing is not your bag of fun, then plastic sheet or carbon-fiber sheet can be fashioned/cut/sealed to make a good looking airbox. Making it as large as possible is the goal...larger space...larger filter...more airflow...more power.

Ve good,
ace996

Rich H
06-27-05, 09:18 PM
Need to start with the right look. Add a cutout opening to the front of the STS V hood for the racing CTS VR flat horn shaped scoop in the engine compartment. Mount the filter behind the cutout. Now all you need to do is mount the the MAF meter in the intake duct near the throttle body.

Result: more hp due to denser cold air charge and less pressure losses in the induction system.

CTSV05
06-28-05, 12:19 AM
Well, it seems that if it can be done, that someone on this forum will do it, as we are not lacking in imaginative folks here.

I see it in my mind, but my wallet has not caught up with the picture....LOL!!

ace996
06-28-05, 01:33 AM
www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?section=raceair-airboxes
www.itgairfilters.com/airfilters.asp?section=maxogen

Somewhere in there is magic...somewhere...

V-Love
06-28-05, 03:03 AM
Lots of great ideas as usual. The new corvette hood is along the lines of what I was thinking only less noticeable. Mabey cut a slot above the chrome trim. ITGAirfilters could surely make a nice box.
I did not think the HP gains were so small. I also see 125+ very often and was going to put a dry shot of nitrous, some type of ram air set up and exhaust. I really want it to breath as well as it can. This is after break-in period of course.

ahahnu
06-28-05, 09:43 AM
Any car with nostrals is nasty, the WS6, the GTO, Ferrari 575, Ram SRT 10, etc. I always thought we had a huge radiator that is why the grill on top and bottom were big and functional. Go for it! A slooted hood would look awesome.