: Newbie looking for advice on 69-70 convertibles

06-26-05, 08:23 PM

I didn't quite know where to put this, so here goes. I'm shopping for a 69-70 convertible and am looking for information as to what to look for, problem areas, etc for these cars. Any info would be great!

06-27-05, 02:20 AM
Look for rust in the rocker panels. Just behind the front wheelwell.

Other than that, not much else to look out for.

You are making a very good choice- the '69 and '70 were great years for Cadillacs.

The engine/transmission/driveline/fuel system/exhaust system, etc., are all reliable.

06-27-05, 02:23 AM
Thanks. I'm just looking for something to drive when the day is nice. I have another convertible, well, no top anyway, but it is not a relaxing ride. You have to pay attention to it. 600hp in a 2000 lb car will do that for ya! Is there any major + to having a/c on these cars and do they respond well to the r134 conversion?

Also, just out of curiosity, what is the biggest wheel/tire combo you can get under one of these cars and not rub or take out fender skirts or trim?

06-29-05, 12:01 AM
I know you need to check the frame real good. Rust is a big problem depending where the car is from. I'm from up north and thats the fist to go. Everything else is pretty good and parts are easy to find.

06-29-05, 07:15 AM
Look at what I had to say in this thread:

07-12-05, 06:35 PM
I have a 70 DeVille and this is my 3rd Caddy. If all possible buy it from someone older. Two out of three cadillacs that I have owned have come from someone who just cruised in the car. I had a 76, my first one, that was pounded upon by a High School student. Nothing but problems with that car.

Oh and the AC compressor has gone out on all 3 that I have owned...make sure you check that too.