: Newbie looking for advice on 69-70 convertibles

iowagn
06-26-05, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I didn't quite know where to put this, so here goes. I'm shopping for a 69-70 convertible and am looking for information as to what to look for, problem areas, etc for these cars. Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Travis

Fleet
06-27-05, 03:20 AM
Look for rust in the rocker panels. Just behind the front wheelwell.

Other than that, not much else to look out for.

You are making a very good choice- the '69 and '70 were great years for Cadillacs.

The engine/transmission/driveline/fuel system/exhaust system, etc., are all reliable.

iowagn
06-27-05, 03:23 AM
Thanks. I'm just looking for something to drive when the day is nice. I have another convertible, well, no top anyway, but it is not a relaxing ride. You have to pay attention to it. 600hp in a 2000 lb car will do that for ya! Is there any major + to having a/c on these cars and do they respond well to the r134 conversion?

Also, just out of curiosity, what is the biggest wheel/tire combo you can get under one of these cars and not rub or take out fender skirts or trim?

Travis

RiskIt
06-29-05, 01:01 AM
I know you need to check the frame real good. Rust is a big problem depending where the car is from. I'm from up north and thats the fist to go. Everything else is pretty good and parts are easy to find.

Leloz
06-29-05, 08:15 AM
Look at what I had to say in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=185729#post185729

Goodluck!

Islair
07-12-05, 07:35 PM
I have a 70 DeVille and this is my 3rd Caddy. If all possible buy it from someone older. Two out of three cadillacs that I have owned have come from someone who just cruised in the car. I had a 76, my first one, that was pounded upon by a High School student. Nothing but problems with that car.

Oh and the AC compressor has gone out on all 3 that I have owned...make sure you check that too.