: temp for n*

madooch
06-26-05, 10:16 AM
i have seen some posts of owners with the n* saying that there temps on the N* engine are running 225 or so can someone tell me how i can check how i can check how hot my engine is running on my 02 STS.:confused:

mtflight
06-26-05, 02:29 PM
If you don't have a digital readout, then just go by the needle. As long as it's not close to the red, and stays in the center, you're fine.

Also, make sure your coolant is 50/50 (Dex-Cool and Distilled H2O), that your water pump tensioner moves freely and that your water pump and accessory belts and hoses are all in good shape.

At 225 the fans kick on to cool the engine down. Usually if you're on the highway the air flow will keep temps down below that easily (196-217). Also, when u have the A/C on, the fans are on usually, so the temp should not be that high.

High is approaching boiling point--once it boils over it does not do a good job of cooling and you have problems. It could boil if you have the wrong mix of coolant, or if the cooling system is out of shape. So as long as you keep it well maintained, and replace the coolant (no flush is necessary), you should be good to go for 4 years or so, until you replace it again.

Regards,

Alex

peteski
06-27-05, 02:51 AM
and for more reading on this subject see:
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41490
(if you haven't seen that already).

Peteski

Eldorado Pimp
07-26-05, 01:25 AM
Is it nessary to add 50/50 mix or can it be straight dex cool??

Ranger
07-26-05, 11:31 AM
DO NOT Use straight Dex.

mtflight
07-26-05, 02:27 PM
Is it nessary to add 50/50 mix or can it be straight dex cool??

In your case, you could just stick to green. I believe once green is in (factory fill in your case), then you can't get the extended fill benefit of Dex-Cool. So either way you will need to change it once per year or so.

And yeah, 50/50 distilled water to coolant mix is proper. Otherwise who knows what the PH balance could be, and what consequences on the gaskets and seals that would have.

Ranger
07-26-05, 05:30 PM
Thanks Alex. When I saw "straight Dex" I never even noticed the year. Like mtflight said. You can use Dex but no need or benefit. What ever you use should be 50/50.