: Escalade Theft?

Kappy Krunch
06-26-05, 10:07 AM
My first post - Great site!

I just purchased a 2005 Platinum Escalade and couldn't be happier with the vehicle. (at least till I make the first monthly payment)

I friend of mine who works in the insurance business told me the Escalade was one of the top vehicles targeted for theft - does anyone have any information to add? any links to show crime/theft statistics on Escalades? I'm considering a lojack system.

Thanks.

Kap

joshuap
06-26-05, 10:36 AM
Extremely easy to break into one...basically take a standard screwdriver, place it on the lock and hit the screwdriver with your fist or somerthing hard. Once it pops in, simply pull up on the dangling lock unit. My father and I have had this happen 5 times when up in Montreal. Buy a good alarm system, preferably with GPS tracking like Viper offers.

wiz357
06-26-05, 11:27 AM
Funny this topic came up. I was just going to start a thread regarding Escalade break-ins.

Yesterday, for the first time in probably more than a month, I drove our Escalade to go shopping. We were going to take our other SUV, but the Escalade just carries much more stuff. We figured we would need the extra space. Anyway, on our way back home, we decided to stop by the mall (Fashion Valley) and do some more shopping. After an hour in the mall, we get back into our truck. My wife buckled my daugther in her car seat, as I loaded the stuff we bought in the back. As soon as I get to the driver side, I noticed my dashboard was popped out of place. Sure enough, someone broke into our truck and stole our Alpine IVA-D900 headunit and remote. Other than those two items, he did not take anything else. My Armani sunglasses were there. A lot of more expensive stuff than the stereo that we just bought were also just sitting in the back. I supposed he really had his eyes on the stereo and was in the rush to get the headunit. I called the mall secutiry to report the incident.As we looked around the truck, we found that the thief gained access to the truck by inserting a screwdriver in the passenger side keyhole. The worse part is I was trying my best to protect this truck since it is up for sale. http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=643&sort=2&cat=9&page=2 I've probably only driven it for less than 10 times this past 4 months. Then this happens. It sucks. It will probably take more than $1k to replace and repair the damaged stereo components.

Xrayqueen
06-26-05, 12:28 PM
Funny this topic came up. I was just going to start a thread regarding Escalade break-ins.

Yesterday, for the first time in probably more than a month, I drove our Escalade to go shopping. We were going to take our other SUV, but the Escalade just carries much more stuff. We figured we would need the extra space. Anyway, on our way back home, we decided to stop by the mall (Fashion Valley) and do some more shopping. After an hour in the mall, we get back into our truck. My wife buckled my daugther in her car seat, as I loaded the stuff we bought in the back. As soon as I get to the driver side, I noticed my dashboard was popped out of place. Sure enough, someone broke into our truck and stole our Alpine IVA-D900 headunit and remote. Other than those two items, he did not take anything else. My Armani sunglasses were there. A lot of more expensive stuff than the stereo that we just bought were also just sitting in the back. I supposed he really had his eyes on the stereo and was in the rush to get the headunit. I called the mall secutiry to report the incident.As we looked around the truck, we found that the thief gained access to the truck by inserting a screwdriver in the passenger side keyhole. The worse part is I was trying my best to protect this truck since it is up for sale. http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=643&sort=2&cat=9&page=2 I've probably only driven it for less than 10 times this past 4 months. Then this happens. It sucks. It will probably take more than $1k to replace and repair the damaged stereo components.

Don't forget to check with DMV in regard's to your VIN# also being stolen. Because now day's they don't steal the whole truck just the VIN# and then use it to clone it on another stolen Escalade to get a clear title. I myself have covered my VIN# up with a peace of electrical tape. It looks ugly but it may save my truck. I'm sorry to hear you had to be violated by these theives. But there are so many jeolous desparate people out there and our goverment isn't making it better by making such a divide between the have and have not's. But take care and I hope this piece of information can help you protect your truck a little better. Take care and Thank God your family was not hurt.
Peace Xrayqueen :)

Boombotz
06-26-05, 01:42 PM
And check to see if they took your garage remote control. You don't want your house to be next. :(

blingblingcv
06-26-05, 01:43 PM

Thats the same thing they did to mine, on the passenger keyhole it was all torn up, and they took my alpine cva tv and dvd player and the brain or whatever you call it from the floor. It was about a grand to fix everything and put the stock back in.

jordan00escalade
06-26-05, 02:22 PM
Question.. Did you all have alarms? I plan on having some interior upgrades myself. I was gonna add on one of those alarms with the two (2) way pager. Does anyone think this is enough to discourage the theft of my installs?

Boombotz
06-26-05, 02:41 PM
It is not enough. If someone wants your sh*t. There going to take your sh*t. There are guys on this forum that have the 2 way paging system in there trucks and they have gotten there truck's broken in to. Someone just posted about it happening and they were able to stop them from getting anything but they still broke in.

My thoughts are Thats why we have insurance and it is an excuse to get new toys.:D I thought about getting an alarm but decided not to. They know how to get past any of the alarms out there. It is a 10 second inconvience for them. If someone is going to break into my truck I hope they take the whole thing and I never see it again. I wouldn't want it back.

jordan00escalade
06-26-05, 03:01 PM
lol.. Well said. I know it's possible for security to be compromised, if the right 1 wants it bad enough. But let me catch that 1 bad MF in my driveway, trying to have it his way. I'm gonna have the answer for that.

wiz357
06-27-05, 12:34 AM
Don't forget to check with DMV in regard's to your VIN# also being stolen. Because now day's they don't steal the whole truck just the VIN# and then use it to clone it on another stolen Escalade to get a clear title. I myself have covered my VIN# up with a peace of electrical tape. It looks ugly but it may save my truck. I'm sorry to hear you had to be violated by these theives. But there are so many jeolous desparate people out there and our goverment isn't making it better by making such a divide between the have and have not's. But take care and I hope this piece of information can help you protect your truck a little better. Take care and Thank God your family was not hurt.
Peace Xrayqueen :)

Thanks so much.

The feeling of getting voilated was the worst part.

I don't think he had time to steal my VIN. I had a pair of nice Armani sunglasses laying on the center console that he did not take. Also, my wife just bought some Loius Vuitton purse and shoes that was just sitting in the back seat. If the thief was smart enough, he should have just taken those and sold it on eBay for more than a couple of grand. Instead, he had to rip the headunit off that would need a brain to operate.

wiz357
06-27-05, 12:58 AM
And check to see if they took your garage remote control. You don't want your house to be next. :(

Thankfully, I don't have a garage remote in the Escalade. I programmed everything into the Homelink. Thank God for that feature.

fast66
06-27-05, 01:44 AM
Thanks so much.

I don't think he had time to steal my VIN. I had a pair of nice Armani sunglasses laying on the center console that he did not take. Also, my wife just bought some Loius Vuitton purse and shoes that was just sitting in the back seat. If the thief was smart enough, he should have just taken those and sold it on eBay for more than a couple of grand. Instead, he had to rip the headunit off that would need a brain to operate.

What a stupid thief.

blingblingcv
06-27-05, 05:49 PM
It is not enough. If someone wants your sh*t. There going to take your sh*t. There are guys on this forum that have the 2 way paging system in there trucks and they have gotten there truck's broken in to. Someone just posted about it happening and they were able to stop them from getting anything but they still broke in.

My thoughts are Thats why we have insurance and it is an excuse to get new toys.:D I thought about getting an alarm but decided not to. They know how to get past any of the alarms out there. It is a 10 second inconvience for them. If someone is going to break into my truck I hope they take the whole thing and I never see it again. I wouldn't want it back.

Oh when I got my truck broken into that night I didnt want it, had insurance on it. Wanted to drive it off a cliff lol.

Oh ya and the thief was pretty stupid too

Boombotz
06-27-05, 06:02 PM
Oh when I got my truck broken into that night I didnt want it, had insurance on it. Wanted to drive it off a cliff lol.

Oh ya and the thief was pretty stupid too

Sorry to hear it. It sucks.

Cadillade
06-28-05, 12:04 AM
So, what else we can do to prevent break-ins in the first place? How about electrifying those door handles? :lildevil:

jordan00escalade
06-28-05, 12:46 AM
4 the most part, be aware of your surroundings.

Cadillade
06-28-05, 11:15 AM
That is what I do, but that is not always the best approach. It can be unreliable because life can be unpredictable.

What about the 140 decibels or higher siren/air horn mounted outside of the vehicle? Something that will cause the thief to walk away covering up the ears? I wonder what will happen to the truck with that very high decibels rating.

crusher
06-28-05, 11:20 AM
So far I've only read about breaking into the truck. What about actually stealing the truck? How easy is it?

slimm44
06-28-05, 01:20 PM
So, what else we can do to prevent break-ins in the first place? How about electrifying those door handles? :lildevil:
if you're worried about somebody doing the screwdriver trick to your door handles get a set of these:
http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm
buy here:
http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=112?

Cadillade
06-29-05, 10:03 AM
Extremely easy to break into one...basically take a standard screwdriver, place it on the lock and hit the screwdriver with your fist or somerthing hard. Once it pops in, simply pull up on the dangling lock unit. My father and I have had this happen 5 times when up in Montreal. Buy a good alarm system, preferably with GPS tracking like Viper offers.

What about the factory alarm and OnStar? Do they provide the best protection?

I am thinking about those 2-way pagers, but from what I hear, they may be done with by the time I get out there in the parking lot.

The plates for the door handles sounds like a great idea. Now, I need to get all four of those. I wonder about the tailgate?

What about the EXTs? I would like the tailgate to lock at the same rate as the doors. Anything I could do to the Midgate when the tailgate is compromised?

joshuap
06-29-05, 10:12 AM
Onstar won't help worth a damn. The theives know to rip off the antenna, and it won't help. I installed the Viper alarm with GPS tracking. Not only does it have a 2 way pager, but it will call a cell phone, home phone, email...etc, whatever you want when your alarm goes off. Then, if it is stolen, you have a completely seperate GPS antenna, superiorly hidden, which tracks the police to the *******s. For the tailgate, you could place in a motion sensor, which arms with the alarm. So if someone opens your tailgate, the alarm goes off. There really is no great option to lock the tailgate. I have looked at several of the options to lock the tailgate, and none are very secure. They could easily be bypassed by any theif with some knwoledge. The other option is to add the talking feature which has a permiter field. So, when someone comes within 3 feet of your vehicle it says something to the effect, this vehicle is protected by Viper, stand back. if they don't, it says if you do not step away, the alarm will go off. And then it will go off if they come any closer or don't leave. The BIGGEST part of an alarm is hacing an installer who doesn't cut corners, spends time to place the brain behind the metal steering wheel kick plate cover, and wraps all wires in duct tape so that they look factory. I watched my alarm guy do it, and I asked him how long would it take him to bypass the alarm, he said knowing where he put everything, it would still take him at least 45 mins to bypass it.

Cadillade
07-04-05, 02:02 PM
I like that talking perimeter thing, but will people have fun with it? Like, if they like to play with my truck by walking around in the 3 ft area and having a computer talking back to them. It is cool though, like a KITT talking in Knight Rider.

I am not impressed by the fact that the truck does not have chip in the key. My Ford has a chip in the key that only starts with the correct one. Otherwise, if someone copy my key without a correct coded chip in it, the vehicle won't start.

I am still thinking and looking for more ideas to protect my truck. Man, lots of Black Americans drooling over my truck. I can understand that Escalade are popular amongs rappers, artists, and celebrities. I will have to act like Mr. T, if I have to. I pity the fool who touch my truck!!

Now, how to protect my tank of gas? I cannot find the right locking gas cap!!!!! Come on, GM!! I am paying 50K for a truck that I cannot find the right bug deflector, locking gas cap, no engine immobilizer, ineffective OnStar security and the factory alarm. Wake up GM!!!! :rant2:

pimp-cadi-danny
07-04-05, 03:01 PM
i just added a new thread but my lade was stolen last night from dodger stadium....it f**ken sucks

RaGzEmCeE
07-04-05, 03:21 PM
What about the factory alarm and OnStar? Do they provide the best protection?

I am thinking about those 2-way pagers, but from what I hear, they may be done with by the time I get out there in the parking lot.

that may be true ... but they may not have the time to cut off the antenna in which case you can call onstar

jdub
07-04-05, 06:36 PM
Your vin numbers are visible without even getting into your car, so what can you do? It's all over your windows how you gonna cover them all up without making your car look bad?
Thanks so much.

Ryusou
10-06-05, 10:22 AM
but what about the pass lock device on the vehicle? if the tamper with the ignition, that should prevent it from starting right?