: '79 De Ville original radio

425 Dual Quad
06-25-05, 08:23 PM
Gents,

I have a '79 Coupe de Ville and it has lost it's original radio. Anyone have one? working or not?

thanks!
Nick:)

adam_mcd
06-27-05, 01:35 PM
time to take a tirp to the local junkyard

BUT..if you have the money, check out this place

http://www.cadillacville.com/default2/webstuff/model77/77-9DeVille.htm

1000's of cadillac are in this place, and you can find any radio to suit your fancy. hell get a cb radio

ps: the guys kinda of a jerk, and he likes to do business over the phone, but i got my stuff within a few weeks.

caddydaddy
06-27-05, 02:30 PM
I might still have the original 8-track player from my '79 SDV. I'll check on it!

Mojochiken
07-01-05, 04:19 PM
I have one, removed it to put in a panasonic. Is ther a reason that you want the original, why not an aftermarket?

Mojochiken
07-01-05, 04:22 PM
oh yeah, and it works. not 8 track or cb, just radio.

425 Dual Quad
07-07-05, 02:27 PM
Adam,

Thanks - thanks for your other posts also on the mats etc. Reason I want one - it's orignal that's all! Does yours do FM as well as AM? How much do you want for it?

I'm now in NJ from 18th July for 3 weeks. You cold send me amail at nick.stratta@equant.com if you like.

Thanks
Nick

425 Dual Quad
07-22-05, 10:53 AM
Guys,

I'm still here in New Jersey hoping to hook up with an original radio for my '79 CDV. I;'m here til the 5th August. Anone have one they can send me??

regards
nick

patgizz
07-22-05, 04:00 PM
original radios in unhacked dashes are cool.

hacked up woodgrain to fit in a single DIN radio is not.

adam_mcd
07-22-05, 07:42 PM
yea..original radios in the older cars are better.

i thought about getting a aftermarket cd player, but put it under my seat. a hoopty needs bump, but im broke as it is

bobguy1942
07-24-05, 04:01 PM
Nick, I have an AM/FM cassette that works like a charm. It came from a recent purchase
of a 79 deville. Make me an offer.

Bobguy

Hilton
07-24-05, 06:45 PM
You want cool?

I'm building a custom floor console, to be padded and upholstered to look like it was part of the original dash.
It includes a modern DIN stereo mount (since Double-DIN radios that would fit well in a Deville cost over $700 CAD for the cheapest one!), proper cupholders, cloth-lined coin trays (made from a hacked up Deville ashtray, of all things), 12V power outlets (relocating the lighter from the ashtray and splicing in a second, both hidden behind a trap door), a relocated and hidden diagnostic connector (after all, the mechanic still needs access to that), and a few other little features for my personal preference (pop-out notepad and pen holders, lift-off or flip-up top for under-console storage, blah blah...).
For those trying to envision, the primary area (stash trays and cupholders) will sit roughly 2-3" below the top of the seats and stay flat until about 3" from the main dash, at which point it will turn up sharply and butt in to the dash right where the dashboard curls down, at the ashtray. In addition, the DIN stereo mount will either be in or just below the ashtray cutout (depends how things fit).

Also, I am removing the stock radio (once I have the new one installed) and installing a custom-made radio delete plate. It will be a piece of plywood, covered with black velour (with a gray velour outline) with "Cadillac" script, a full-size Cadillac emblem (taken from the C-pillar of a Deville), and maybe a "Sedan deVille" script, if it fits, but probably not. Basically, it's going to look like a larger version of the 1985 steering wheel with the velour-backed emblem. And yes, it will be covered by a plastic plate or lamination to keep it looking perfect forever.

I like customizing, but I also like to keep things looking like it was designed that way in the first place. :) (which is why I absolutely HATE the look of a DIN stereo mounted in the stock radio location - it looks terrible... Double-DIN might look okay.)