: Review: Specter Werks Bushings...hop???

ace996
06-25-05, 05:14 PM
Fellow V-Pilots,
It has been a couple of days since my full install and I wanted to really see the difference between stock and SWB'd.

My wife and I are in the car. I stop at a sign and rev to 3k, ease out the clutch whilst on the gas...3 chirping skips during blast-off :bouncy: There was no banging, no drama, just a couple of chirps and off we went. 6K 1-2....no hop, no bang, just chirp and ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. She's yelling at me now, so I say thats what the bushings do...
"Two fifty so we can do that? :cookoo: ", she says. "No, babe...its a safety issue, the rear end will last longer now". *I really don't believe that to be the case, as now I fear the hop much less and have a more potent launch....this will no doubt lead to more 400horsing around.

Through turns, power-on drifting exits, there is no hop, just a smooth powerslide to exit. I can't say I've noticed more NVH, it doesn't seem like any sounds are more noticeable.
Overall, I'd give these a big thumbs up. They are not difficult to install (1-1.5hrs total) and are not something the dealership techs would find without looking for them. They've done a great job eliminating the majority of the "hop" while not adding NVH. They have not 100% eliminated the hop, but are very close.

I know several other V-pilots have received their bushings, hopefully they'll chime in and add their thoughts. I sincerely belive that the KARS kit, with the SWBs would make a serious stand against the hopps. True, with our rear-end geomety, it may be all but impossible to fully eliminate the hop...but it'd be pretty close. With just the bushings, I have no concern about embarrasing myself at a light anymore. What was experienced was nothing more than any other car I've owned/raced before. Again, it is an independent rear...not the best for lurid burnouts, but these have sedated the demon to an acceptable level. AND NO MORE BANGING!!!!!!!...that was really the worst part to me, sounded like the back end was shaking loose.

Ve good,
ace996

SBONES
06-25-05, 05:41 PM
who did the work..I need someone or the dealer to do it for me.

JOEYCTS-V
06-25-05, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know the difference between the Lingenfelter bushings and the Specter? Thanks in advance.

ctsvett
06-25-05, 07:46 PM
who did the work..I need someone or the dealer to do it for me.

Thats why we now have "shopfinder"... maybe someone will submit a ship in your area! http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/shopfinder/

The Specter adn LPE bushings are similar but the Specter have "tabs" that make them easier to align

Lasstss is the best to answer this question.

Reed

DrMikeQ
06-25-05, 09:46 PM
i have asked this before but could not get the website from the faq website. could someone please post the website for the bushings from specter werks. i need them bad to race my dad with an srt 10 ram pickup. can't afford the great hop

CTSV05
06-25-05, 10:34 PM
"250 to do that?"

LMAO!!!!!

ctsvett
06-25-05, 10:47 PM
apparently you need to call specter to get them

Reed

Dreamin
06-25-05, 11:07 PM
http://www.spectergtr.com/

248-583-9559

AmesCTS-V
06-25-05, 11:22 PM
I'm going to have to check these out.

lasstss
06-26-05, 12:38 AM
Somewhat easy mod. I have had them a few months. No issues. A fairly transparent mod that makes a very big difference.

ace996
06-26-05, 09:30 AM
I performed the install myself, on a slanted driveway, with jackstands and a jack. Sara from Specter sent me a list of pictures, around 20 or so, that detailed the install perfectly. This is something someone can do at home, not a big deal but not really "fun".

From what I've read here, the LPE bushings are rubber and do not have the "insert tabs" that slide into the meat of the stock bushings. Much like the polythane motor mount inserts that people have used on other vehicles, these bushings( which are made of Delrin-a hard plastic) insert "into" the stock bushings to keep front/back and up/down movement to a minimum. The LPEs appear to be only rings that limit the up/down movement of the rear-cradle, and they're rubber...softer...more movement.

The Specter website does not have them listed or featured, so you must speak to Sarah for the pictures and info. For the money, and the stealth-ability of the mod, I'd rate it as a very good mod. More fun last night was had with only mild skipping...not hopping. In a few days I'll take a wrench to the bolts to make sure they're tight, I used red-locktite but you never know. Certainly a worthwhile procedure for the benefits gained.

CTSV05,
I assume that these would work WITH your KARS kit? In some time, I'd like to mount your StageIII to tie-in the whole rear assembly and you're kit appears to be the best option.

Thanks,
ace996

ctsvett
06-26-05, 11:25 AM
The recommendation from my "contact" was the specter works bushings and the BMR or KARS kit.... Only do the kars/ BMR if you can deal with the added noise/vibration (thats relative though). But the added kars/bmr helps a bit more out of the hole.

Reed

jerrycecco
06-26-05, 01:37 PM
So I'm still confused...
What's the price of the bushings?
And what's the part#??

ace996
06-26-05, 01:46 PM
Jerry,
The bushings are $250 delivered. I don't know the part number...only Specter has these...their own cut.
Be good,
ace996

willsctsv
06-26-05, 08:15 PM
JoeyCtsV, Try to tighten up your cradle bolts why you are waiting to decide on which kit you will chose. It may help that hop in the 1- 2 shift that you get real bad.

JOEYCTS-V
06-26-05, 10:58 PM
I checked the cradle bolts a few weeks ago and they were fine. :banghead:

CTSV05
06-27-05, 02:02 AM
Yes, these will take the place of the spacers I include in a S-3 kit.

So if you are going with these Spectre spacers, then I would suggest you save a few bucks and get a S-2.

If you need the added support bar, I can add that on for a few dollars.

I had my spacers in with a S-1 and it was a big improvement over stock, but I prefer the added support of my S-3, but I like to drive hard.

Reed, where do you live, I need you to ride in my car or one with my kit, you will be amazed at the LACK of road noise it causes. Now with the diff. support, if your diff is talkin' you will notice a slight increase in the whine, but thats all. I only hear mine at certain mph when the radio is off or very lo, and I'm coasting.

ctsvett
06-27-05, 08:31 AM
for the next 3 weeks I live in countries other than the US.. I will be back at home in southern CA in mid july... Still checkin the fourms from around the world though! (gotta love the internet)

Reed

CTSV05
06-27-05, 09:22 AM
Oh, I didn't realize you were in Ca.

I have 2 kits there.

One in the Pasedena area and also the Fremont area.
Either of these close?

Good luck on your world journeys!!

ctsvett
06-27-05, 06:25 PM
have them "whoever it is" come down to the next V meet...

I will post date and time when we decide...

Reed

dreamcarc6
06-27-05, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, Specterwerks has not so good customer service. I ordered mine June 17th and was told they would go out the following Monday. I wait until Friday, June 24th and call back cause I haven't received them or a confirmation email that they have been shipped. Their resposne, "oh you were number five on the list, and we only had enough for four sets, and they would be shipped out today." Still no email confirming shipment. Not really complaining much just want to let everyone know this company seems like a job shop and may not be able to fulfill promises regarding order fulfillment.

lasstss
06-27-05, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, Specterwerks has not so good customer service. I ordered mine June 17th and was told they would go out the following Monday. I wait until Friday, June 24th and call back cause I haven't received them or a confirmation email that they have been shipped. Their resposne, "oh you were number five on the list, and we only had enough for four sets, and they would be shipped out today." Still no email confirming shipment. Not really complaining much just want to let everyone know this company seems like a job shop and may not be able to fulfill promises regarding order fulfillment.

Specter is not the fastest outfit. Call and ask for Jeff Nowicki if you are getting the run around. They will show up and they are worth the wait.

Jeff Nowicki [specterjeff@sbcglobal.net]

F-117
06-28-05, 07:25 PM
I also have the Specter bushing ... well I have most of them. I had originally received 4 rear sets (the front and rear are different). Specter sent me the fronts. So I did the installation this last weekend. Not too hard at all. Did the rears, then went to install the fronts and discovered that I had missplaced one set of fronts (what a lamea**). So I decided to put in the only the tops for the front. I'll put the bottom fronts when I find them. Tops and bottoms are the same.

So with full rears and front tops only I did a test. Just a few small hops on launch, and the huge clunk is completely gone. 1-2 shift ... just squeel and no hop. I'm happy.

From my inspection of how these work, the Specter bushing make contact with the chassis and the top of the cradle bushing mount, when the mounting bolt is tightened, the rings hard-clamp the craddle to the chassis to prevent any up/down movement. This may also limit movement in other directions as well. I did notice and increase in noise, but it's not bad.

Something I noticed. Since the top of the cradle bushing mount is an open cylinder, the delrin rings sit right on the edge of the cylinder. I'm going to watch this for any signs that the bushing cylinder wears the delrin at this edge contact area. In my opinion, there should be a metal washer between the delrin and the top of the craddle bushing mount cylinder to prevent wear. The botton of the bushing mount is against a large flat washer so there should be no problems there.

Anyone else notice this? Opinions? Anyone who has had these in for a few thousand miles care to inspect for wear?

lasstss
06-28-05, 08:49 PM
That might be the case for a ring. With the tabs in the bushing, its really constrained. I have about 1k miles on them. No movement at all. They are just a bit thicker than the gap so the OEM bushing is held in place as if the specter peices were not there. Nothing has moved since the install. I do see your point though.

F-117
06-30-05, 03:21 PM
It may make sense to have the Delrin rings fit into the bushing mount. This would most likely be just as stable, but may isolate the cradle from the chassis via the compression of the stock rubber bushings, and reduce the noise transmission.