: UUC shifter - Shift into 5th?! difficult?!

1gCtsV05
06-24-05, 09:51 AM
OK. after I got my UUC shifter everything is great :yup:
crisp, smooth, not as short a throw as I expected but better than stock... :thumbsup:
I have notice that 5th gear is sometimes a "trouble" gear for me... :annoyed:
on average driving it slides right in... smooth, no hold ups...
but running through the gear and opening up the throttle, shifting high
and tearing shit up... :burn:
5th gear sometimes has a hold up. I struggle to get the gear in!!! :o
2 times I have actually heard a slight grind of the stick slamming the gears...
Its almost like there is a "delay" in opening the gate.

before its said... Its NOT my driving skills...:rolleyes2 I have driven various sports / exotics.
I have only experienced a situation like this with my 92 Integra which has a "ghost gear" btwn 3rd and 5th in the gate...

any thoughts?! :confused:
:dammit:

DansCTSV
06-24-05, 10:11 AM
I have the same problem in 3rd. Sometimes it goes in nice, other times it seems like it binds. I am not so sure it started with the UUC shifter but I have had it in for so long I can't remember what it was like before.

urbanski
06-24-05, 10:21 AM
the flat rubber "boot" was binding on mine...sometimes making it hard to push the stalk to the right....i fixed that and put a HUGE amount of lithium grease on the whole assembly and she's perfect now

sti convert
06-24-05, 11:21 AM
Have the same problem with the stock shifter. Jamming to 5th just doesn't work, have to go neutral then ease over into 5th. Irritating/distracting at 120.

1gCtsV05
06-24-05, 12:03 PM
Have the same problem with the stock shifter. Jamming to 5th just doesn't work, have to go neutral then ease over into 5th. Irritating/distracting at 120.

EXACTLY!
see i never had that prob with stock... just the UUC... interesting!!! :banghead:

Barak
06-24-05, 12:47 PM
Funny, I've had no problems with gear selection with my B&M.

06-24-05, 01:11 PM
I've had the same problem with my stock shifter since day one; it almost seems like there is an obstruction in the gate that I need to shift around. Going from 4th to 5th is not too much of a problem; as long as I try to shift in a diagonal "/" line from 4-5 it's usually smooth, but if I try to shift more in a crossbar or "2" pattern (OK the "2" graphic is not that helpful), then it sometimes will not go. Also, rapid downshifting from 6-5 is not that rapid, since it will hit the "obstruction" if not done perfectly and almost with a "(" pattern. If I need rapid I just go 6-4 (I typically won't be going too fast for 4th gear)

:hmm:

Doug

ctsvett
06-24-05, 01:17 PM
did you grease the ball withsilicone before you installed?

Reed

lasstss
06-24-05, 03:27 PM
As you have tightened up the shift gate a bit, you have to be a little more accurate. The shifter itself is a passive device, all it does it move the input lug at the top of the trans. I greased mine up as the connection peice at the trans was dry as a bone. The lever is just a lever and as you shorten the stick it takes more effort to get into gear.

1gCtsV05
06-24-05, 04:18 PM
well I gotta be honest...there is a Vette tech at my dealership who handles all of my installs...
I have no idea what they did!!! I it easy to simply remove the boot and lube from the top? what lube/grease should i use if its possible?