: Aftermarket Warranty Questions

BeelzeBob
02-18-03, 01:41 PM
I know this question has come up before but I'd like to start a new thread now that we've got more people here. I'd like to know what kinds of experiences people have had using aftermarket warranty companies.. So far, it looks to me like the company I list below has the best system...

How does this work? Do I get work done by my dealer - and then when they ask me to pay, I pull out my special warrany card?! "Hah! I'm covered by AutoWarrantyBroker.com!" What's the deal? How does it work...

www.autowarrantybroker.com

Katshot
02-18-03, 02:21 PM
I'm only going to say one thing about aftermarket warranties. either stay away from them all together, or be VERY careful before you sign up for one. The dealer uses these as money-makers when selling cars. Matter of fact, it's a big money-maker for them.
Overall, the experiences I've had directly, and been exposed to through freinds, are bad. I personally don't feel they are worth the paper they're printed on.

BeelzeBob
02-18-03, 04:21 PM
Thanks.. I'm hoping to find some positive experiences.. There's got to be a few out there.. They sound too good to be true - and that's why I'm here to find out what the real story is.

elwesso
02-18-03, 06:40 PM
I have always heard NEVER GET THEM FROM A DEALER. Most of the time they get them from the same online companies that you could buy for a fraction of the cost.

Here are things to look for when looking for an extended warranty:

1. Comprehensive coverage- I would suggest getting full coverage, the basic packages dont cover enough.
2. Get a $0 deductable- it is worth the extra cost, trust me
3. Make sure that they are certified by the BBB
4. Make sure that they pay the dealer directly, not where you pay for it and they send you a check- more people have been ripped off by the warranty company by this than anything else.

One I would recommend?? There are 3 that i have researched, and these seem to be the all around best.

www.autowarrantybroker.com
www.warrantydirect.com
www.1sourceautowarranty.com

IMPORTANT: Dont buy a car with a problem and get a warranty to have it fixed. Some companies will void warranties if a claim is made even within a month of purchase of the warranty. The safe way to go is dont file a claim until 60 days after the term starts. If your car is healthy, that shouldnt be a problem.

BeelzeBob
02-18-03, 11:03 PM
Great advice.. Thank you..

elwesso
02-19-03, 06:55 PM
Sure.
Today actually, i went and looked at an Infinti, and got some information on another warranty company. It is called PENN WARRANTY CORP. I think this is something that you can get through dealer only. The phone number is 1800-356-9441. I was looking through the brochure and it is pretty comprehensive. I am not going to type out the entire thing, but I can tell you it is pretty good. The term i was looking at was 6mo/7500 miles for $180.00.

kcnewell
02-19-03, 09:54 PM
I don't like them. They're generally a rip off! Never buy them!

Dead Sled
02-19-03, 10:06 PM
Usually they never cover what brakes and they find some way t weasel out of paying for it

timber6860
02-19-03, 11:30 PM
Before they will cover any repairs they want proof (reciepts, etc) that all maintenance schedules are followed, including oil changes. I purchased a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper from Warranty Gold for $1800. They said they will cover the struts. Also the warranties cost less if you purchase it before your factory one runs out...

BeelzeBob
02-19-03, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the added info. And welcome, Timber6860! Thank you for signing up! Yes, I figured they charged more if your factory warranty was up.. I guess if I ever buy an aftermarket warranty, I'll make sure to make copies of all my recent maintenance service and get it to them right away...

The link I provided in the first post is for a company that doesn't need you to pay first and get their check later. That's why I was liking the sounds of that one...

caddydaddy
02-20-03, 09:08 AM
I am also looking for an extended warranty for my 00 STS. I am thinking of going with Warranty Direct. They cover the struts, which is a big plus to me! I am looking at a 4 year 100,000 odo total miles deal that is $1,625 with a $0 deductible. It's not a bad deal since they cover almost everything except normal maintenance items.

Maximln
02-22-03, 08:37 PM
My advice would be to get one from the dealer. You can take some online quotes with you as a bargaining tool (they are negotiable) and you will probably have to pay an hour diagnostic fee to be sure there are no current problems with your car (if you are out of factory warranty). You might pay a little more at the dealer but when your car breaks down, you can't take it to the internet to have it fixed. Most dealers (and other repair facilities) don't like to deal with aftermarket warranties and a lot of them won't. They make you pay for the claim and then you have to get reimbursed from the warranty which you may or may not get reimbursed. The good thing about aftermarket warranties from the dealer is that they are supported by the dealer so if you buy it from the dealer and take it to the dealer for repairs, you have a pretty good chance of getting your repair done--and done right. Don't forget these Cadillacs are sophisticated automobiles and the dealer techs know these cars better than the average Joe and have usually experienced your problem before on another car. Of course, the best warranty is the General Motors Major Guard but it is also the most expensive but you also never have hassles when it's repair time.

If you insist on buying a warranty from the internet because it's cheaper, remember, you only get what you pay for. Having said that, before you buy it, go to whoever you would have work on your car and ask them if they will accept that warranty so you know up front when you have a problem who you can go to because again, a lot of places will not take them.

Max

elwesso
02-22-03, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Maximln
My advice would be to get one from the dealer.

They make you pay for the claim and then you have to get reimbursed from the warranty which you may or may not get reimbursed.

If you insist on buying a warranty from the internet because it's cheaper, remember, you only get what you pay for. Having said that, before you buy it, go to whoever you would have work on your car and ask them if they will accept that warranty so you know up front when you have a problem who you can go to because again, a lot of places will not take them.

Max

First of all, most online companies pay the dealer directly. They pay the dealer directly through a business credit card.

The only ones i would work with is www.autowarrantybrokers.com, www.1sourceautowarranty, and www.warrantydirect.com.

Maximln
02-23-03, 12:10 AM
Elwesso-You are 100% correct--most of the warranty companies will pay the dealer direct--if the dealer chooses to do business with them. It can be a BIG hassle to deal with the aftermarket warranties. They usually have to send out some sort of adjuster which can take several days and then they look for ways out of paying the claims. Then, the advisor has to play phone tag or stay on the phone for hours trying to get the claim covered. Then, if they finally accept the claim and actually pay it, they will pay over the phone with the credit card. Again, a lot of dealerships don't have the time to spend trying to get these claims processed so they choose not to mess with them.

Max

elwesso
02-23-03, 12:18 AM
I stand corrected.

timber6860
03-13-03, 06:49 PM
Well, I just had my first experience with my aftermarket warranty. I took the 96 in last week Thursday because it started making a noise that sounded like a bearing (I was thinking maybe alternator, or tensioner). Turned out to be the ac compressor. They also found an oil leak from the crank case seals (although I never saw any spots, or had to add extra oil). They also found a broken motor mount (although I never noticed any clunking that the mechanic noticed when he tested the car). They also are replacing the fuel pressure regulator. The total estimate is $3500. The warranty co sent someone to the dealer to check it out on Tuesday, and got back to the dealer on Wednesday approving the work. They're also changing the fuel filter, servicing the fuel system (air intake, fuel injection), decarbing the engine, flushing the transmission fluid, and flushing the brake fluid. The latter I am responsible for to the tune of $1000. I was shocked (and skeptical) at the amount of work needed since the car only has 50k, but I haven't really had anything done in about 3 years. I asked my service advisor if he was familiar with the warranty co , and he said yes and that he never had any problems dealing with them (Warranty Gold). So, so far a positive experience. I would have hated to have to pay this $4500. bill, and the warranty so far has paid for itself and saved me $1500. Hopefully my front struts go before the warranty is up...

elwesso
03-13-03, 06:55 PM
Sounds great that this company actually does what it says!!!