: Has anyone had problems with their transmission on their Escalade?

twinspin
06-23-05, 03:23 AM
I have a 2002 Escalade with 22" rims and I just got the entire transmission replaced. Luckily it was still under warranty so it didn't cost me a penny. But the dealer told me that it may have been from adding custom rims because of the larger wheel size diameter and weight they add on to the vehicle. The funny thing is that they sell brand new 2005 Escalades fresh off the lot with 22's already on there. So isn't that a conflict of interest? Has anyone else here had any problems with their transmission on their Escalade? Just curious.

-Young

fast66
06-23-05, 04:15 AM
They make a lot of money of the wheels that is why the sell them. My trans blew on mine and I had the stock wheels, two times.

RaGzEmCeE
06-23-05, 05:57 AM
my transmission kept slipping for a while ... it wouldnt shift correctly ... they fixed it under warranty though ... on 24's .... but i dare them to blame it on that

Lade
06-23-05, 06:59 AM
My shift points are still off after a couple of computer fixes....My trans is pretty jerky so I have a value guard warranty ready for when the 4 year warranty expires, just in case it drops. I am also running 22's.

hcvone
06-23-05, 07:06 AM
All my customers with superchargers, and several with 22's and 24's have had trans problems. :(

twinspin
06-24-05, 07:29 PM
:( Damn! From the looks of it, I guess I'm not alone on this problem. My only concern is that it will happen again a few years from now. I guess I just need to sell my Sclade before then or before my warranty runs out. Thanks for the input guys.

heymccall
11-08-06, 09:41 AM
Box stock '02 Denali took two trannys. 1 at 58k and again at 67k. Both times, it lost 1st gear. Disassembly revealed a shattered 1st gear drum.

IMHO, I believe the electronics have a glitch that attempts to engage 1st gear while at highway speeds. It can't have been abuse. 53k on stock Michelins and 58k on stock brakes up front.

hcvone
11-08-06, 12:11 PM
It depends on a lot of where you drive i.e. mountains, bigger than stock wheels and tires all put more strain on the engine and trans, things like larger trans oil coolers will help, synthetic trans fluid will help too. At the very least changing your trans oil every 20,000 miles will help it last longer as well.

03whiteesv
11-08-06, 01:08 PM
mine just turned over 40k, bone stock, never really towed anything with it. i'll take changing tranny oil suggestion! any oil brand/type recommendation? and, what's our tranny capacity? thanks!!

Lord Cadillac
11-08-06, 02:19 PM
This might be something to make a sticky out of.. I'd love to have more input on this.. Would this transmission fluid change including a flush? I've heard that to be a bad idea (click here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#transflush)).

With such a big, heavy vehicle, I'd figure the transmission to be a weak point - but it would be nice to find a way to keep them lasting as long as possible.. So far we have:

1. adding a larger transmission oil cooler
2. using synthetic transmission fluid
3. changing the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles

What else can we add to this list?

hcvone
11-08-06, 04:49 PM
Sal, the trans is probably the weak link on these and most trucks, so adding performance items like exhaust, headers, air intakes, computer tuning, superchargers and turbo's all put more heat and wear on the trans. The things I listed will help to a point. :)

Uria702
11-08-06, 06:33 PM
mine blew at 25k had it replaced under warranty, most people who own these trucks have the transmission blow atleast once during the warranty period is what they told me

DLE
11-08-06, 06:55 PM
You guys are freaking me out man! My '02 lade is out of warranty and is at 51k miles on it right now. Its been good to me so far, but you guys make me worry since I dont have a warranty anymore!

ALLeyez187onME
11-08-06, 08:47 PM
mine blew on me at around 67k miles. well actually not the whole thing, just my first gear solenoid was burnt which was only about 200 to repair. but then i did the whole transmission flush, and repaired all my other solenoids etc. for 900. now it runs great. not a bad price. and i didn't have it serviced at the dealer either haha.

Lord Cadillac
11-09-06, 02:05 AM
I wonder how many STOCK Escalades have their transmissions replaced under warranty..

Blown4fun
11-09-06, 10:10 AM
I now have 25,000 miles on a 2004 EXT with a magnacharger installed at 10,000 miles with stock wheels & tires. The trans works fine and have had no problems.

Caddydude420
12-17-07, 01:24 AM
+1 to the list...

03 EXT, 63k miles. I'm in the process of replacing the tranny. The fluid was low and it burnt out. It was over-revving on the highway and around town. Last week it got really bad, it barely wanted to shift outta 1st. I was hoping replacing the fluids would fix it, still had problems. I took it to the dealer to see if they could do anything for it, again no luck. It's in the shop now. EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK THEIR FLUIDS BEFORE IT GETS IT CAUSES BIG PROBLEMS!

thor01
12-17-07, 08:11 AM
'03 with 63k, had transmission oil changed and found lots of metal pieces. Ended up having it rebuilt under extended warranty, but now has a slight whine to it when I'm on the gas.

Oh, and its completely stock on 17's

csmooth79
12-19-07, 06:27 PM
'03 with 63k, had transmission oil changed and found lots of metal pieces. Ended up having it rebuilt under extended warranty, but now has a slight whine to it when I'm on the gas.

Oh, and its completely stock on 17's

Is this only when you step on the gas and then it goes away when you let go. My truck does this too 02 w/ 75k and I am trying to figure it out. Im on my 4th ps pump and had my front diff done, but now they are out of the way I still get a whine on the gas prob around 35-55 mph and going up incline

Guyz1996deville
12-20-07, 01:41 AM
All this talk about transmissions I crawled under and looked to make sure the fluid wasn't leaking. It is a little low so I should really just drop the cover, replace the filter and fluid. My truck is shifting kind of cruddy though. Between third and fourth it is getting a RPM jump before shifting getting on the freeway kind of heavy on the gas. Now I notice a slight increase in RPM before shifting in the other gears. I do have fluid on my dip stick when it is warm and running; just above the bottom or so. There is probally only .125"" or so from the bottom. Where is the stuff going? There is not a drop in sight from the trans on the floor or eng. compartment.Do any of you have RPM spikes before shifting? Regardless I will bring it up to normal levels ASAP..

thor01
12-20-07, 02:23 PM
Is this only when you step on the gas and then it goes away when you let go. My truck does this too 02 w/ 75k and I am trying to figure it out. Im on my 4th ps pump and had my front diff done, but now they are out of the way I still get a whine on the gas prob around 35-55 mph and going up incline

Yes exactly, although I still hear a whine at highway speeds too. I had the front diff done at the same time as the transmission as that also had a whine. I'm bringing it back to have it looked at again when I get a chance. Between that and the wind noise from a replaced windshield, things aren't "Cadillac Quiet" :-(

superdips
12-31-07, 09:07 PM
Yes exactly, although I still hear a whine at highway speeds too. I had the front diff done at the same time as the transmission as that also had a whine. I'm bringing it back to have it looked at again when I get a chance. Between that and the wind noise from a replaced windshield, things aren't "Cadillac Quiet" :-(

I too have wind noise from the windshield and i tried to get it fixed and it was good for a while but now its back making wind noise and i can even feel the wind, you think i should just replace it for try to fix it agian?

SteveSkal
01-03-08, 12:00 PM
2002 Lade all stock with 38k on it, been running 22's for the past year, no tranny problems....yet (fingers crossed) I don't have a warranty either.

jmelwak
01-11-08, 02:15 PM
i just bought a used 2004 with 50k on it. tranny seems fine, only one owner but you damn right i bought the ext warranty !!!! How hard is it to change the tranny fluid?

Guyz1996deville
01-11-08, 02:33 PM
Changing the fluid is quite easy. All you need in to get your filter and gasket kit, have metric and standard size sockets, and have torx bits. I loosen up the shifting linkage by the two torx bit on the top, whick got that out of the way. If you have a palm ratched it works much easier. Loosen the pan and replace the filter. I should mention that you need to drain the fluid first. I didn't have the torque specs or the torque pattern, but it you are mechanically knowledged you will know about the torque when you losen the bolts. There is really not alot of torque at all on those fasteners. Crawl under the thing and check it out. It wasn't too bad at all. I would suggest that you take your time and be thorough. I just didn't want to do it twice, or break anything; like the shifting linkage....

:hmm:

Escolade
01-11-08, 07:55 PM
When does the owners manual suggest the first transmission fluid change?

WaterSun
01-12-08, 09:50 AM
I believe my owners manual says at 50,000 miles.

atldavek
01-15-08, 09:17 PM
All this talk about transmissions I crawled under and looked to make sure the fluid wasn't leaking. It is a little low so I should really just drop the cover, replace the filter and fluid. My truck is shifting kind of cruddy though. Between third and fourth it is getting a RPM jump before shifting getting on the freeway kind of heavy on the gas. Now I notice a slight increase in RPM before shifting in the other gears. I do have fluid on my dip stick when it is warm and running; just above the bottom or so. There is probally only .125"" or so from the bottom. Where is the stuff going? There is not a drop in sight from the trans on the floor or eng. compartment.Do any of you have RPM spikes before shifting? Regardless I will bring it up to normal levels ASAP..

Have you had any luck with fixing this problem? I have the EXCACT same problem on 05 AWD 50k, it will go in on 1-17-08 for the FIFTH time for them to work on this. Last time they replaced the entire trans, still no luck. I now have Cadillac customer care case managment involved, helps some.

It is doing physical damage to your trans. They tore my trans down on the fourth time around and replaced worn/burnt clutch packs, bands, and clutchbell caused from this same problem. They also have replaced and reprogammed the PCM and pressure solinoids. NO GO. Good thing I have warranty until 74k now!!! Please let me know if you find anything out, I will do the same.

Thanks -Dave

WaterSun
01-15-08, 11:39 PM
Have you had any luck with fixing this problem? I have the EXCACT same problem on 05 AWD 50k, it will go in on 1-17-08 for the FIFTH time for them to work on this. Last time they replaced the entire trans, still no luck. I now have Cadillac customer care case managment involved, helps some.

It is doing physical damage to your trans. They tore my trans down on the fourth time around and replaced worn/burnt clutch packs, bands, and clutchbell caused from this same problem. They also have replaced and reprogammed the PCM and pressure solinoids. NO GO. Good thing I have warranty until 74k now!!! Please let me know if you find anything out, I will do the same.

Thanks -Dave

Dave,

How do you have a warranty until 74k? Did you purchase an extended warranty? If so,what kind and from who? Thanks!

atldavek
01-16-08, 09:58 PM
I did purchase more warranty direct from my dealer, about $1,650 for bumper to bumper (same as factory) with a $200 decuctible (sp?), 24 months 24k miles.

Guyz1996deville
01-16-08, 11:14 PM

Thanks -Dave

Dave,

I have to say that the fluid change didn't change my trans much at all. I called out to big three performance here in milwaukee and I am going to have then rebuild my transmission for me. Right now I am am saving the cash and babying the weak link. Big three is going to work some magic on the trans for me. They are going to update the clutch and bands to gm heavy duty, with a few little tricks too i am sure. I just want a trans that engages heavy and feels solid. Right now it always feels like it is slipping of shifting shifty. Get back to me it you find out what your proplem is. :suspense:

Guyz1996deville
01-16-08, 11:20 PM
I don't mean to thread jack on the trans discussion but the diff whine you might be hearing guys might be from the prop shaft. I know that there is an update for the prop shaft; for when you get the diff rebuilt..

atldavek
01-17-08, 01:26 PM
Dave,

I have to say that the fluid change didn't change my trans much at all. I called out to big three performance here in milwaukee and I am going to have then rebuild my transmission for me. Right now I am am saving the cash and babying the weak link. Big three is going to work some magic on the trans for me. They are going to update the clutch and bands to gm heavy duty, with a few little tricks too i am sure. I just want a trans that engages heavy and feels solid. Right now it always feels like it is slipping of shifting shifty. Get back to me it you find out what your proplem is. :suspense:

I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out, it does go in today. I am going to drive it with a tech and service manager while they have some scanners hooked up to it. Can't convey just how disapointed I am with my dealer. It is however, some how conforting to hear I am not the ONLY person on earth with this problem. I'll return with any and all information I receive to this thread. Looking forward to hear how yours goes. Good luck!

-Dave

drwindmill
03-02-08, 10:45 PM
My 02 with 47000 miles is revving high between 1 and 2 and won't shift unless you let up on the gas. Fluid was fine and when drained was perfectly clean no metal. Could it be anything else?

sean-o
04-25-08, 12:12 AM
I have an 03 escalade and shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third it slips big time and doesnt shift until i let off the gas. 4th gear is unobtainable. Bought the truck 54 days ago and got the 60 day/2500 mile waranty and unfortunately i put on 3500 already. The service department said they would try and work something out with sales. I feel like i bought a toilet with all the problems ive had since day one.....bad battery, leaking front tire on the bead cause the chrome was all flaking off, Ambient temp transducer not accurate, backup sensors not working, power seat was broken, wiperblades were complete junk.....I guess the 70 point inspection they bragged so much about didnt include any of those things. What a joke, and this was from a huge well know certified dealer in mass.
Oh, by the way, Im running 24s and i cant wait till they tell me thats why my trannys messed. Its going in next week, ill keep you posted with what they find.....or dont find.

queensnyc
05-08-08, 12:43 AM
My 2003 Escalade ESV with 67,000 miles just blew the transmission and the orig warranty is only till 50,000 miles. Cadillac in Long Island quoted me $4200 for a 3yr/50k warranty on replacement trans and I rejected it. I have to come $3090 out of pocket for a Jasper Transmission (3yr/100k warranty) because Cadillac and Gm can't get their stuff straight when designing these tranmisssions. Any transmission that blows up before 150,000 miles without heavy towing and just normal use and proper fluids is a design flaw in my opinion...no wonder they raised the warranty from 5 year 50,000 to 5 year/100k in 2006!

hcvone
05-08-08, 09:17 AM
My 2003 Escalade ESV with 67,000 miles just blew the transmission and the orig warranty is only till 50,000 miles. Cadillac in Long Island quoted me $4200 for a 3yr/50k warranty on replacement trans and I rejected it. I have to come $3090 out of pocket for a Jasper Transmission (3yr/100k warranty) because Cadillac and Gm can't get their stuff straight when designing these tranmisssions. Any transmission that blows up before 150,000 miles without heavy towing and just normal use and proper fluids is a design flaw in my opinion...no wonder they raised the warranty from 5 year 50,000 to 5 year/100k in 2006!

Stock size wheels and tires? How many times did you change the trans fluid in the 67k miles?

sean-o
05-16-08, 03:50 AM
OK, Good news, so I went to the dealer and the actually covered the new tranny. Bad news is 100 miles later it totally grenaded again. This time the torque converter was locking up. It only took 2 days to diagnose, first they told me i needed a new PCM. Guess they wanted to throw some parts at it. So this time i got a rental and they are covering the second "new" tranny. I really hope this one isnt a toilet too.

wildrums
10-21-11, 01:35 AM
Man I feel like a nut to even type this info but here it goes its for your benefit now. I have already replaced my transmission 4 times. No warranty either time because i didn't want another car payment. Now it has broken again tonight. Im pretty pissed right now. 150 k no towing or heavy hauling. What in the world is Cadillac still doing in business. Save your money dont buy these trucks they are junk. I used to work for General motors and now i am ashamed of myself!!!!!! No government bailout should have taken place for GM. What a waste of tax payers money!!!!!!!

Rigger33
10-24-11, 12:51 PM
Man I feel like a nut to even type this info but here it goes its for your benefit now. I have already replaced my transmission 4 times. No warranty either time because i didn't want another car payment. Now it has broken again tonight. Im pretty pissed right now. 150 k no towing or heavy hauling. What in the world is Cadillac still doing in business. Save your money dont buy these trucks they are junk. I used to work for General motors and now i am ashamed of myself!!!!!! No government bailout should have taken place for GM. What a waste of tax payers money!!!!!!!

What year is your EXT?

Hallboy
02-03-12, 05:47 PM
160,000 on 2004 ESV with absolutely no problems...till today. It now "revs up" between shifts and fluid smells slightly burnt. Looks like a rebuild is in my future ($1650)

Lord Cadillac
02-03-12, 05:53 PM
160,000 on 2004 ESV with absolutely no problems...till today. It now "revs up" between shifts and fluid smells slightly burnt. Looks like a rebuild is in my future ($1650)

Welcome. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Keep us posted. I had a 2005 ESV and loved it. I think for such a huge vehicle, 160k is pretty good for the transmission...

zogg
02-03-12, 09:37 PM
The only concern here is the overall wheel/tire diameter....I had 17" wheels on my 06 with 265x70x17 inch tires. I swapped them for 18" wheels with 265x65x18 inch tires. The outside diameter was IDENTICAL. I have, in the past, put extremely oversize tires and wheels on previous trucks.....the speedometer is always off, and you can immediately feel a loss in power do to the change in the final overall drive ratio.

So, if you changed from 17" wheels to 22" wheels, it still depends on the size of the tires...using a very low profile 22" tire (like a 50 or 45 series) may result in exactly the same final drive ratio. If that is the case, then the effect on the transmission will be absolutely nothing...

belairphil
05-19-14, 04:08 PM
i have a 2002 escalade & transmission just felt like it went into neutral while i was on the fwy.. put it in gear & nothing happen,like it went into neutral any idea on what it can be?

the cadillac man
05-19-14, 11:20 PM
i have a 2002 escalade & transmission just felt like it went into neutral while i was on the fwy.. put it in gear & nothing happen,like it went into neutral any idea on what it can be?

Fluid level could be low

dbbspider
05-21-14, 06:25 PM
06 ext, 80k miles, no towing or heavy hauling, replaced tranny fluid at 75k miles. No problems so far, but keeping my eye on it.

the cadillac man
05-21-14, 06:33 PM
I don't mean to thread jack on the trans discussion but the diff whine you might be hearing guys might be from the prop shaft. I know that there is an update for the prop shaft; for when you get the diff rebuilt..

I think that might be what I hear on my 03(not sure)