: Tuner challenge, Who is up for it??

HDMLNIUM
06-22-05, 05:54 PM
Well as many of you know I am running a Westers tuned PCM in my CTS-V.
I ran a Westers tune in my 03 Denali and had great gains with it and outstanding support From Lyndon on taking the time to dial in my tune to what I was looking for. Now here we are with a new vehicle and I now have my baseline tune from Lyndon and we will dial it in from there.
With all the Mail order tunes available out there I figured why not do an unbias test and see who has what to offer. I will pay for all the dyno time to test each PCM, and the gas to give them each about a hundred miles or so of road time to see what I feel about them.
I figure any tuner that is up to this test can send me a PCM with their tuning for my mods. E-mail me and I will give you my Vin number and we can go over all my mods and anything else that you would like. I will then bring it to the Dyno "same dyno for all tests" post the "base line" dyno sheets and give you feed back on what I think overall of the tune. Power, drivability, mpg, and what ever else people might want to know.
Then I will send you back the PCM for you to try to improve upon your first attempt and see what you can really bring to the table.
I will keep and run the best overall performer and glady use their tuning name in my signature.
I think it can be a great test and the winner has the opportunity to make many sales.
Now lets see what tuners chime in to take the HDMLNIUM tuner challenge...:2thumbs:
All feed back welcome..:cheers:

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
Westers, B&B Headers-high flow cats-and 3" resonator exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, UUC shifter, Full BMR
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

DansCTSV
06-22-05, 06:19 PM
I'll be the first to say that I am looking for a tune and would love to see some real world results like this. I would definately buy the best tune since I am local to Bill and need to be able to beat him at the track. :D Of course I won't tell him about the NOS. :shhh:

urbanski
06-22-05, 06:35 PM
PCMs are 400 bux
wonder how many tuners would be willing to send you a "spare" one, which includes their $200-500 tune..all the while wondering if anybody "out there" would copy their work lol

HDMLNIUM
06-22-05, 07:09 PM
urbanski,
This is going to be a fair test, no messing around and I can promise everyone that. These PCM's will be shipped to me, road tested by me, and brought to the Dyno by me. There will be no tuners reading anyones PCM, period..
I know I have a tuner that can get me an outstanding and safe tune with Westers. What I don't know is what everyone else has to offer, that is why I am willing to spend my money and time to test each one. The tuners will all get back any PCM's they send me, except the winner of the test as that one I am keeping..:yup: So what do the other tuners have to lose, loaning out one of their PCM's to be tested against the best other tuners have to offer?? Business if they are not performers and fail to reach the levels that other tuners can. That's it really, as they get back their PCM if it is not my choice. I would say the 2 top tuners have the most to gain, if they are close then it will come down to preference and price and what is offered in that price. Best bang for the buck if you will..;)
So let's hear from people who they would like to see in this test..
I will start the list and edit to add anyone that someone thinks are worthy...:D

Westers
Stealth V
DTE
More Performance
MTI
?
?
?
Lets get these question marks filled in..
I know Westers and Stealth V "Rick" is going to be in, so who else is ready for a real world test??

Bill

V-Beach
06-22-05, 07:33 PM
Personal preference plays to big a roll for "you" to decide which tune is best "everyone". Each tuner can simply post what their claims are and be done with it.

Dreamin
06-22-05, 07:41 PM
You need to get EFILive and log every run... to verify that the dyno runs are 'clean'... no knock retard, etc. Otherwise the dyno data is completely worthless.

StealthV
06-22-05, 08:31 PM
If tune A makes 5 less horsepower than tune B but idles nicer, does tune A loose? Who decides what a "nice idle" is? For me, the lumpier the better. Some may prefer a smoother idle. To me, things like this makes it hard to declare a winner.

Tune A may be perfect for V owner #123 and Tune B may be perfect for V # 6311's needs. Then again, this just plays into what VBeach is saying and I'll add to that with - every tune is nearly infinitely adjustable to match the customers requirements.

If tune X makes the most power on the dyno but may be sluggish, stumble or hesitate on the street, etc. It wins the dyno but sucks in everyday driving. Guess which "numbers" people will gravitate towards? My perception is most people just look at dyno numbers and say Tune X is better than Tune Y because of a couple of 4th gear pulls on a dyno. Dynos aren't where we all drive our Vs everyday yet it is the first information people want to know.

No doubt Westers has a nice tune as well as DTE, myself and others. Which is better is a personal preference just like Corsa or B&B. As an owner of both brands, I can say both exhausts have their pros and cons. Is one truly "better" than the other for all people? Tough call - what are your needs?

For me, I like tall, smart, slender brunettes with dark eyes. :)

HDMLNIUM
06-22-05, 08:42 PM
Personal preference plays to big a roll for "you" to decide which tune is best "everyone". Each tuner can simply post what their claims are and be done with it.
On Mail order tunes, claims of power and drivability is not always what you get. Why not reward the tuners that give you what they claim with the business of the people that are looking to add a tune and plan on buying one anyway. Wouldn't you rather spend your money on a tune that came out on top over one that didn't gain much?
Let me make this clear again..................:hmm:
Yes I am running a Westers tuned PCM now.
Yes I consider Lyndon and (Butch, who is the US Rep for Westers) Friends, and Butch is actually a good friend.
But my Personal Preference is going to be for the tuner who gives me the best all around tune. And then you guys can decide from there on your own..

Dreamin,
Man, you are costing me more money..lol But If that is what it takes to make everyone happy than I will make it happen..

Bill

CVP33
06-22-05, 09:03 PM
Stealth,

Quit replying to this damn thread and get out there and data log my tune. :lildevil:
Can't wait until Friday! I'm counting the hours.

StealthV
06-22-05, 10:20 PM
The tune is done. Where the heck is your PCM?

P.S. It is called multitasking and having a laptop on the workbench is sometimes a distraction. There's no way I'm going to miss another $850 set of brand new wheels and tires as long as I check in once in a while. :)

CVP33
06-22-05, 11:03 PM
PCM is in Louisville, KY. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Sent you the tracking info' as well. Did I mention I can't wait?

knockout_tx
06-22-05, 11:16 PM
I know that I am new, but you guys don't use chips or reflash devices.....?????? Seems like sending the PCM would leave you without wheels for a while.

HDMLNIUM
06-22-05, 11:27 PM
Reflashed PCM's, no way to tell at the dealer that you have a tune. Not like with them looking at the Lightning computer and seeing your cleaned chip spot and getting voided. Most tuners have an exchange policy, so after you get the new reflashed PCM you just send them yours for a core. Or you can find one at a junk yard or something like that and send them that as a core, as long as it is the same PCM. There are reflash devices too, Diablo, HPTuners, Hypertech programmer, Superchips programmer. I think most work with the V...

Bill

AmesCTS-V
06-22-05, 11:44 PM
I need to find a tuner that will send me an HP Tuners bin file so I don't have to mess with the PCM. I used pcmforless on my GTO and SilvySS for that, but I don't think he does V's.

StealthV
06-23-05, 01:48 AM
PCM is in Louisville, KY. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Sent you the tracking info' as well. Did I mention I can't wait?

Tracking number? What tracking number? :hmm:

urbanski
06-23-05, 08:43 AM
For me, I like tall, smart, slender brunettes with dark eyes. :)
pics?

urbanski
06-23-05, 08:45 AM
I know that I am new, but you guys don't use chips or reflash devices.....?????? Seems like sending the PCM would leave you without wheels for a while.
it does
unless you drop 400 bux for a new one :cheers:

Joey'sVee
06-23-05, 09:23 AM
highjack?