: Slight Fuel smell on startup.

mtflight
06-22-05, 11:58 AM
When I turn on the car I smell a little bit of fuel, which comes in through the vents.

My FPR is not leaking at the nipple when I disconnect the vaccuum line.

All my lines look fine...my fuel rail, while not stainless steel, is fine (not included in the recall).

Other than at startup (after cranking when it powers up), no fuel smells after that.

Thoughts? Urgent? Dangerous?

EcSTSatic
06-22-05, 01:28 PM
Injector o-rings? How do you know your fuel rail is good? Just because it wasn't recalled?

mtflight
06-22-05, 01:36 PM
Injector o-rings? How do you know your fuel rail is good? Just because it wasn't recalled?

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the fuel rail, I took the beauty cover off, and inspected it...it looks new (black silicone-like) and has no indication of leaks.

How come I only smell this at startup sometimes? and not all the time? Is the injector behavior different during startup than out on the road? I dunno the answers to these questions, and I'd love some insigthful explanation, be it theoretical or empirical.

Thanks.

Ranger
06-22-05, 04:21 PM
Chances are, what ever it leaking is just lingering til you start up, then the vent intake at the base of the windshield draws it in. When you are driving, ram air through the radiator disipates what does not evaporate off of the hot engine. I would pressurize the fuel system by turning the key ON and then run your finger around each joint on the fuel rail. If you are smelling gas, there has to be a leak somewhere.

mtflight
06-22-05, 04:27 PM
I would pressurize the fuel system by turning the key ON and then run your finger around each joint on the fuel rail. If you are smelling gas, there has to be a leak somewhere.

Good idea--I'll do this today and report back. As always, I appreciate your help. Any other ideas are welcome too.

mtflight
06-23-05, 03:08 PM
Not the fuel rail or FPR....

Ranger
06-23-05, 04:27 PM
Did you locate any problems with the EVAP system per our conversation?

mtflight
06-23-05, 04:31 PM
haven't gotten that far yet. Just posted that in order to see if anyone else had any new observations, knowing to exclude fuel delivery system.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated!

WoodShoe
06-25-05, 08:47 AM
R u sure the smell is not coming from the exhaust? My car used to smell of gas in the morning also (very rich gas smell, which was in fact from the exhaust, and lingered its way inside). But once it warmed up it would b fine. I figured it was my 02 sensors (2 of them are bad) but after I put in my magnaflow cat the smell went away. So I assume it was the cat...unless it magicaly fixed itself...Good luck