: Oh My....

DopeStar 156
06-22-05, 02:54 AM
While having my oil changed today my mechanic informed me that one of the bolts that holds my car's body to the frame fell out. It was throughly rotted out and broke off when they lifted it. He told me not to worry about it unless I see more of them start to fall off. The one fell off from the back right near the bumper. He said there was one more right infront of it still in place. Should I be worried? If more of these start falling out this could mean the demise of my beloved Caddy since I'd never be able to afford to have the body lifted from the chassis to have the bolts replaced. What should I do? Am I totally screwed?

ocjmakaveli
06-22-05, 03:15 AM
I doubt they have to lift the body to replace the bolt the bolt should be screwed from the bottom upwards.

If it broke then they can just drill it out and tap it then replace it with another bolt

BUT if the bolt just fell out because it became loose then just look for another bolt and screw it on

Shouldn't be hard to replace that screw regardless if it broke or if just fell off stuff happens with a car that age it's an easy fix if that mechanic doesn't know how then find a competent mechanic

Good luck

DopeStar 156
06-23-05, 12:54 AM
REALLY?! Oh thank you tons. You should've witnessed the depression fit I had today over the thought of selling my beloved car. Especially after how well I have it running. I'll call a shop tomorrow and ask about it.

N0DIH
06-23-05, 01:38 PM
There is I think 14 bolts total. Some are intentionally not placed. FSM should have all documented.

They vary on bolt length and bushing firmness. In some cars, like the Buick Regal (including GN's) the frame to body bolt/bushing is not installed over the rear axle. But on the Cutlass/Monte Carlso and Grand Prix they are. I have heard some of the B/D bodies have some missing, but all are accounted for on mine, and some other forum members have concurred on thier similar ride as well. Even sometimes they will omit the bushing, but install the bolt. All depends on what the ride engineers wanted and determined was needed.

But they always parallel, so the opposite side bolt would also be missing if it was intentional. Heck, could have been a factory screw up! May have been like that for years. Go to dealer, order the right bolt and install it. Be careful and not strip threads, I have heard of this happening if bolts are wrong length and you bottom it out.

DopeStar 156
06-24-05, 12:26 AM
I drove my bodyshop today and was told that I have nothing to worry about, they all seem firmly in place and even if I needed them removed, no body chassis separation would be needed. Hooray!

Bishop
06-24-05, 12:28 AM
why are you paying someone to change your oil in the first place?

DopeStar 156
06-24-05, 01:50 AM
why are you paying someone to change your oil in the first place?
Well it's a number of reasons. The first would be lack of free time, the second would be the lack of a lift or ramps, the third would be my shop charges me $27.00 to do oil, filter, and lube. I added it up, and for $2.00 less I could do the oil and filter myself. I feel it's worth it to pay the extra $2.00 for convenience. Plus they bring things like this to my attention.

Bishop
06-24-05, 02:31 AM
Well as long as their doing a good job...i've run into too many shady places who do a piss poor job and don't really take 'care' of your car. that's a pretty good price.

DopeStar 156
06-24-05, 02:38 AM
I only take my car to this one shop. They're a great buncha guys whom I've formed a pretty good customer/buisiness relationship with them. If I call them I say "Hey it's me," they know my name, number, and car. I rarely get a car back from them and not be satisfied with it. Especially since the other shops in my area I used to go to were piss poor in quality. There was one guy who I swear was tampering with my Lincoln because every month something would go and they always had something to do with the prior problem. Then it took this other guy a month and a half to hold onto that same Lincoln and tell me he couldn't fix my suspension when my current shop fixed that same suspension in a day. I learned my lesson from crooks and do-nothings.

BluEyes
06-24-05, 02:11 PM
Where do you buy your oil that you have to pay $25 for the oil+filter?
Unless you're running synthetic (which I'd bet they aren't putting in for $27) it should be costing you 1/2 that.
You also don't need ramps. I don't even use ramps on my Camaro. The Caddy is easy.

N0DIH
06-24-05, 07:59 PM
5 qts Rotella T is around $8, $2.50 for an AC Delco filter, and about 15 minutes of time, is well worth it for me, and far cheaper than paying anyone else to do it. Then I know some gorilla didn't put my drain plug and filter on and screw up the threads and cause me more pain down the road.

ocjmakaveli
06-25-05, 04:16 AM
5 qts Rotella T is around $8, $2.50 for an AC Delco filter, and about 15 minutes of time, is well worth it for me, and far cheaper than paying anyone else to do it. Then I know some gorilla didn't put my drain plug and filter on and screw up the threads and cause me more pain down the road.

I would say its a good thing to do your own oil change when you have spare time or lots of energy because it gives a good chance to inspect the car.

yet for most people its better for someone else to do it because they probably wouldn't do it correctly or wouldn't know what to do really........

i do my own oil change but I usually spend about $20 and i can get it done for $25 locally but who knows what kind of oil they use.......

btw what is rotella t? never heard of it before

brougham
06-25-05, 05:54 PM
I've never changed my own oil on the Cadillac. It doesnt' cost too much more to get someone else to do it and then you don't have to deal with cleaning up after and you don't have bottles of old oil sitting around. It always gets done by the same garage and he usually checks other stuff while I'm there too. That's one problem with people who do their own oil changes is that a lot of the time they dont' seem to bother checking anything else or they don't know how and then they're all surprised when they have problems.

DopeStar 156
06-26-05, 01:03 AM
They actually use Pennzoil. I asked.

Destroyer
06-26-05, 09:57 PM
I bring all my cars except for the Mercedes to Walmart for oil changes, for $17 I say screw doing it myself. :D

cadiman28
06-29-05, 12:24 AM
Isn't better to do it yourself first thing in the am? This way all the oil has settled to the bottom of the pan. When you drive to a shop or lube place, the oil is all over the engine and not settled at the bottom of the pan?

DopeStar 156
12-02-07, 12:51 AM
Looking back on this thread from three years ago.... that stupid ******* probably lifted the car like a ****tard and broke it...... Three years have passed and this hasn't happened a second time......

Cadillac Giovanni
12-02-07, 12:58 AM
Haha, funny you should bring this thread back. I just noticed the same thing happening to my car, although mine is most defenitely from rust...and the fact that I backed it into a boulder.

I'm not worried. There's a lot of those bolts.

Benzilla
12-02-07, 01:06 AM
...and the fact that I backed it into a boulder.

Umm... WHAT?

79caddy1
12-02-07, 11:30 AM
I NEVER trust anyone to change my oil....NEVER!

I have read some threads on here about the lube places using strange weight oils in their large tanks...ANd of course...name brands not being whats inside as the sticker says on their barrels!!!

Also, the small shops... I worked for one years ago...

I am not saying their all bad, but no matter how some of them seem...as in..."they know me personally", watch them!

If you have time to drive it there and pick it up, then you should have time to change it.....Would be faster to change it yourself, about time you drop it off, and pick it up!

I go to autozone here. They have specials every month, and I get oil and filter for 12.99. Its pennzoil, and a fram filter.

ALso Walmart carries fram filters, and 5qt pennzoil bottles! Way cheaper than what your paying, and you know what your putting in!

I am not being smartass,,,trust me I am not. I have just heard so many stories about stuff like this, and it is worth the time to change it yourself....Only a 15 minute job! And a better feeling that knowing you put the fluids in, that should be in there....Of course, just my 2 cents!

DopeStar 156
12-02-07, 01:10 PM
Haha, funny you should bring this thread back. I just noticed the same thing happening to my car, although mine is most defenitely from rust...and the fact that I backed it into a boulder.

I'm not worried. There's a lot of those bolts.

Sometimes when I'm bored I come on here and look up every thread I've ever posted. Haha......

Cadillac Giovanni
12-02-07, 04:17 PM
Umm... WHAT?

I made a thread about it when it happened. I was at a friends house at night backing out of his driveway, and he had this HUGE boulder, but low to the ground, and it didn't help that my back up lights were shorted out at the time. I plowed right into it without seeing it. My car ran up over it, pulling it out of the ground, and got itself stuck up in the air. I had to leave it there overnight and came back the next morning with my buddy's wrecker to get it off.

I smashed up the bumper and the gas tank pretty good.

But, my old bumper was starting to rust through, and my gas tank was leaking anyway, so replacing those two things was something that was ideally on my list of things to do anyway. Plus, I got a really nice looking bumper on ebay that came off of a 91' Brougham back in 1992, and had been in storage ever since, so it was pretty much near perfect.

The rock is still there, but I went out and bought some reflectors to put around it so this never happens again. I also put a sign in front of it that says "Alan's Parking Only" (Yeah, that's my name).

Benzilla
12-02-07, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah... right. duh.

TexasCadillac
12-02-07, 06:49 PM
I have always changed the oil in my cars because I like to fill the oil filter with oil before I put the filter on which I don't think shops do. And never take a car to walmart. I had tires put on a ranger truck once and after waiting a long time I saw the fat lazy mechanic pull on the side of my truck bed trying to stand, he left a small push in dent and grease on my white truck. The walmart here is notorious for breaking wheel studs off and damaging hub caps. walmart is very cheap and that you get what you pay for a cheap tire monkey doing work on expensive cars. Wal mart uses those cheap fram filters is another reason to avoid them. Do it yourself and do it right. TexasCadillac

Cadillac Giovanni
12-02-07, 07:12 PM
Take my Cadillac to Wal-Mart? I don't even like taking my film to Wal-Mart to be developed.

Cadillac and Wal-Mart sound wrong even being in the same sentence together.

89fatb
12-02-07, 08:35 PM
I've never changed my own oil on the Cadillac. It doesnt' cost too much more to get someone else to do it and then you don't have to deal with cleaning up after and you don't have bottles of old oil sitting around. It always gets done by the same garage and he usually checks other stuff while I'm there too. That's one problem with people who do their own oil changes is that a lot of the time they dont' seem to bother checking anything else or they don't know how and then they're all surprised when they have problems. i totally agree. im so sick of the distrust in auto shops. they can't get away with things people used to claim anymore. this is 2007 not 1980. he is exactly right DIY's NEVER check or know how to check things. then that occasional time he takes it in, he freaks because the car is falling apart and needs 2k in repairs. claiming its bullshit and hes getting ripped off. leave it to the professionals. when i comes to anything but my cars. i call a professional....

Cadillac Giovanni
12-02-07, 10:05 PM
I WOULD agree, and I suppose if you don't know much about cars, it's wise to get them regularly checked by professionals, it's just that sometimes I'm drop-dead amazed at what passes for "professionals" these days.

Every time I've decided to turn my keys over to someone else to get a job done, I'm always disappointed with it. Most people just aren't looking to provide quality service these days, especially chain stores. They hire people to get work done cheap and fast. They're not looking to please you, or ensure you're a return customer. After all, who are you in the grand scheme of things?

I think EVERYONE in the world should be required to learn at least a little bit about automotive technology. Seriously, pretty much everyone ends up driving a car, but a lot don't even have the slightest idea about what goes on under the hood. I think they should teach it in schools, personally. Sort of like shop class.

I think what it comes down to is that for the average person who drives whatever car they got for the cheapest money, and only sees a car as a way to get from point A to point B, the average service (or lack thereof) they get at the local chain store mechanic's is plenty, but for most of us who have chosen to drive in Cadillac Style, well, we expect more from everything. Perhaps we're just spoiled?

TexasCadillac
12-02-07, 11:16 PM
i totally agree. im so sick of the distrust in auto shops. they can't get away with things people used to claim anymore. this is 2007 not 1980. he is exactly right DIY's NEVER check or know how to check things. then that occasional time he takes it in, he freaks because the car is falling apart and needs 2k in repairs. claiming its bullshit and hes getting ripped off. leave it to the professionals. when i comes to anything but my cars. i call a professional.... I agree if a person is not smart enough to change oil in their car go ahead and take it to walmart and have the teenager to change your oil while he learns what a car is, you never know he might be able to afford one someday too. Walmart does not pay much. I guess I don't realize how much more I know about cars than the average person, I am almost 50 YO and I started working on my motorcycle engine when I was 14 and worked in a Hodaka M/C shop at 15. I had to learn, we couldn't afford to take it to the shop. I've been doing all of the work I can on my vehicles since then. I trust a certified GM mechanic but not the average grease monkey, anyone can put up a mechanic sign and go into business, even walmart. Some people call AAA to change a flat on their car but I wouldn't want to wait. TexasCadillac

TexasCadillac
12-02-07, 11:31 PM
I WOULD agree, and I suppose if you don't know much about cars, it's wise to get them regularly checked by professionals, it's just that sometimes I'm drop-dead amazed at what passes for "professionals" these days.
Every time I've decided to turn my keys over to someone else to get a job done, I'm always disappointed with it. Most people just aren't looking to provide quality service these days, especially chain stores. They hire people to get work done cheap and fast. They're not looking to please you, or ensure you're a return customer. After all, who are you in the grand scheme of things?

I think EVERYONE in the world should be required to learn at least a little bit about automotive technology. Seriously, pretty much everyone ends up driving a car, but a lot don't even have the slightest idea about what goes on under the hood. I think they should teach it in schools, personally. Sort of like shop class.

I think what it comes down to is that for the average person who drives whatever car they got for the cheapest money, and only sees a car as a way to get from point A to point B, the average service (or lack thereof) they get at the local chain store mechanic's is plenty, but for most of us who have chosen to drive in Cadillac Style, well, we expect more from everything. Perhaps we're just spoiled? I was lucky there was an auto mechanics class in the 11 and 12th grades when I was in school, and machine shop and welding classes in the 10th grade. A lot of us lower income people at least know the basics of how to fix a car. TexasCadillac

bicentennialcadillac
12-03-07, 12:31 PM
I have a shop I trust for most anything, yet I can't imagine paying them to change oil. It's too easy a job to outsource, and I like knowing what's in my engines.

RocketFast321
12-04-07, 07:14 PM
Take my Cadillac to Wal-Mart? I don't even like taking my film to Wal-Mart to be developed.

Cadillac and Wal-Mart sound wrong even being in the same sentence together.

Yea walmart sucks. They have a new rule if your car has more than one oil leak, or something alone those lines. They can refuse to change it. :( Sucks cuz the wagon has 3 plus a reappearing and disappearing 4th one.