: intermittent chirping under the hood, at poweroff...

mtflight
06-22-05, 12:29 AM
Twice today I have heard chirping under the hood... like a tiny squeaky wheel sound, after I turn the car off and walk away.... almost like something is winding down after spinning (slower and slower each time until it fades in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds after the car is off).

I turned the car on and opened the hood and could not hear it, I had a friend turn the car off, and did not hear it that time either.. so it is intermittent..

1) Could someone please tell me the critical places that need lubrication to prevent catastrophic failure (aka seizure of a bearing on a tensioner, etc).

2) I have never lubed any bearings/tensioners, etc.:confused: What is the procedure... I know nothing about this--never attempted it.

All my belts and hoses are healthy. I know it is important to not get the lubricant (is it motor oil? or grease? advice on that too) on the belts.

Please help... it's getting in the high 90s everyday and the last thing anyone needs is a bearing seizure on a water pump or tensioner, etc.. I appreciate your input sincerely!

-Alex

Ranger
06-22-05, 11:20 AM
The only thing that is still spinning after shut down would be the cooling fans. Maybe a bearing starting to go.

caddydaddy
06-22-05, 11:39 AM
Cooling fan is my guess as well, or possibly blower motor? But I'd check the cooling fans first.

mtflight
06-22-05, 11:53 AM
Thanks, well cooling fan is not so bad... I can figure that one out.

I still think I should lube up the water pump tensioner and where else? Keep in mind I haven't lubricated any of these high output bearings/tensioners--I need to pamper them, one would think. What's the procedure for that?