: Headers:coat or don't coat???

Joey'sVee
06-21-05, 04:35 PM
When I get headers should I have them coated? :rolleyes:

I would like to hear from everyone that has headers. I'm going to go with the DTE stage III which includes stainless works headers...should I get them coated to avoid any engine heat soak (ie alternator problems due to all the heat under the hood) or not since they are stainless steal.

I really don't want any heat soak :eek: but I don't wanna spend the extra $$$ :nono: if it's not needed ya know. :o

Thanks for the help! All opinions are welcomed! :D

1gCtsV05
06-21-05, 04:42 PM
When I get headers should I have them coated? :rolleyes:

I would like to hear from everyone that has headers. I'm going to go with the DTE stage III which includes stainless works headers...should I get them coated to avoid any engine heat soak (ie alternator problems due to all the heat under the hood) or not since they are stainless steal.

I really don't want any heat soak :eek: but I don't wanna spend the extra $$$ :nono: if it's not needed ya know. :o

Thanks for the help! All opinions are welcomed! :D

Thermal Wrap... its sometime a bitch to wrap up tight but it works... its an option for about $35.00...

Header wrap (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2006309&TID=8014524&productId=2006309&catalogId=10101)

urbanski
06-21-05, 04:43 PM
the B&Bs are stainless, I didn't coat...that's why you pay $$$ for stainless.
I've read coating holds in moisture and can cause failure.
And having had my headers on for over a month i can 100% say NO heat issues, nothing melted, the intake temps are 85-100F (ambient)....and they are cool to the touch after sitting 30 mins :D
ps. with my StealthV PCM tune, the fan comes on sooner, and the fan stays on after you shut the beast down further helping eliminate any heat issues.
Dunno if DTE will do that for you.

V-seriesTech
06-21-05, 06:36 PM
Well,...if you CAN coat them, have them coated. It will only benefit you and your car. I've never heard of any problems with jet-hot coating. I like coated headers in my buisness,...actually working on cars. What a difference there is under the hood of a car with and without coating. Besides that, within a few minutes of a car shutting off, you can actually grab the coated header with bare hands and not worry about scalding yourself.

The wrap is ok, it does work but, it is a pain in the arse. I even considered doing that but, time/labor wise and the thought of it unrapping under the car and getting itself in a bind somewhere under the car would drive me crazy., i'd rather have them jet coated. 1. they'll look better, 2, they'll look better,3,....it's functional.

AmesCTS-V
06-21-05, 07:27 PM
For looks I'd go coated. I don't like the dis-coloration from the heat of the non-coated over time.

Joey'sVee
06-21-05, 08:28 PM
I don't think the thermal wrap is an option for me because if I do something I want it done right. Maybe I could get them coated. Has anyone had their headers coated? Curious about... cost, where to send, how long does it take, etc? Thanks!

V-seriesTech
06-21-05, 08:47 PM
I don't think the thermal wrap is an option for me because if I do something I want it done right. Maybe I could get them coated. Has anyone had their headers coated? Curious about... cost, where to send, how long does it take, etc? Thanks!

Place here, local, awesome work......a set of long tube headers for whatever make, would set you back about 180.00 to 220.00 bucks. I'm getting ready to drop off my LG motorsports long tubes this week to be coated.

willsctsv
06-21-05, 09:34 PM
I couldn't wait when I got them, so I wrapped them. 100 bucks for the wrap and a few hose clamps. It really works. NO Heat issues. I don't care how it looks even though it looks great. You can barely see the headers when you have the hood open anyway! Themotec.com

thebigjimsho
06-21-05, 10:05 PM
I couldn't wait when I got them, so I wrapped them. 100 bucks for the wrap and a few hose clamps. It really works. NO Heat issues. I don't care how it looks even though it looks great. You can barely see the headers when you have the hood open anyway! Themotec.comwill, I have to ask. Did you still have your headers wrapped when you blew yor 2nd cat? I've heard it before and I'm still not comfortable with street cars having cats and the headers wrapped.

The fact is, you're the only V owner I know of with wrapped headers. And you're the only one I know of directly, having blown a cat, nevermind 2.

ace996
06-21-05, 10:10 PM
Header wrap has its own style...I like it, too. Moisture should not be a problem if the car is driven regularly(every couple of days). Coating is the best option but at several times the price, not necessary for me. Should I choose to get headers, I'll probably wrap them.

sti convert
06-21-05, 10:11 PM
I've read coating holds in moisture and can cause failure.

I believe that it is the wrap that holds in moisture, not coating. Properly coated headers should be done on the inside and outside to prevent corrosion. SS does not need to be coated for corrosion, heat may be a different issue though. If worried about heat, coat with black to keep engine bay heat down. I think I paid about $300 to have my headers coated in my V8 RX7. I had these folks do mine.

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

MadMike
06-21-05, 10:39 PM
I've got coated tri-wyes on my mustang and they are the chit........water temp down.....underhood temp wayyyyyy down.........my neighbor couldn't believe it.

1gCtsV05
06-21-05, 11:00 PM

I hearyou but do notthink that wrap is not "done right"...
its old school yes... and effective... its old school muscle car!!!
I never had problems on my old 69 chevelle SS or on my acura.
Its def an option that is cost effective as long asyou have time
and are anal. Mine never unwrapped either.

again.. its just an option. do what you feel is good for you.

Drift-caddy
06-22-05, 07:26 AM
get the headers jethot, it will help with heat transfer and make the exhaust flow better. not only does the jethot help keep the heat out of the engine bay, it also helps heat tranfer. you want the heat to flow down and out of the header, with the temp change in the exhaust it will help the exhaust flow better. but dont forget you need to get it tuned as well.

thanks
damian

Joey'sVee
06-22-05, 08:42 AM
Coating is the best option but at several times the price, not necessary for me.

Not sure it is several times the price.

I hearyou but do notthink that wrap is not "done right"...
its old school yes... and effective... its old school muscle car!!!

I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way...I just think I would like coating better...but I'm sure wrap works well to.

Sounds like I should get the headers coated. They are stainless so I don't think I would need the inside coated...just the outside.

1gCtsV05
06-22-05, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=ace996]Coating is the best option but at several times the price, not necessary for me.QUOTE]

I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way...I just think I would like coating better...but I'm sure wrap works well to.

Sounds like I should get the headers coated. They are stainless so I don't think I would need the inside coated...just the outside.

no offense taken... just our opinions and yours... giving you help with a 2nd option...
thats what we are here for! :thumbsup: :yup: :cheers:

Katech
06-22-05, 08:59 AM
Go with the jet hot coating. They do it right and if you have any problems with them, you send them back and they recoat for free, although this shouldn't be a problem. Plus, they look great and the coating is super tough, it is hard to scratch them. Plus, I always say if you are spending the money anyways, do it right the first time. Taking parts off a 2nd time not only sucks, but it is time you don't get to spend driving the car.

willsctsv
06-22-05, 09:37 AM
Big Jim, You make a valid point about the wrap and 2 blown cats. I did ask B&B after the first melt down, Dennis said that coating or wrapping should not cause that.

After all what are we saying? That we would rather some heat come out under the hood and make the engine hotter than let the heat come out of the exhaust!

It only happens on the driverside. The passenger side was OK. Go Figure.

Now I want someone to drive behind me at night and see if flames shoot out of my exhaust in between shifts!LOL!

Kadonny
06-22-05, 09:56 AM
Go with the jet hot coating. They do it right and if you have any problems with them, you send them back and they recoat for free, although this shouldn't be a problem. Plus, they look great and the coating is super tough, it is hard to scratch them. Plus, I always say if you are spending the money anyways, do it right the first time. Taking parts off a 2nd time not only sucks, but it is time you don't get to spend driving the car.

Yup, Jet Hot does a great job. I had my 68 manifolds done by them.

CTSVLS6
06-22-05, 12:14 PM
Iv'e had my uncoated headers on for 3 months with no problems. I was wondering if anybody had ever checked the underhood temp. with stock manifolds and cats? It seems like there would be a lot of heat from the big stock cats as close as they are to the manifolds.

Joey'sVee
06-22-05, 06:02 PM
I think I'll do the jet hot thing....that sounds like the best route!

ftlfirefighter
06-23-05, 12:22 AM

Jet hot will coat your headers for under 300 bucks, DO IT! had it done on my $1300 Dynatechs and totally worth it.

JonCR96Z
04-02-06, 12:42 PM
Just want to put some info out here. Header wrap is way better at holding in heat than coating. Downside is that extreme heat is what causes them to breakdown and fail not moisture, also they dont look nowhere near as good as coating. However, I've seen a few cars with the coating starting to flake off (one was jethot, the other was a cheaper coating). Both of those cars spend about 98% of their life parked. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I had a set of FLP headers (with their own brand of coating) on my camaro for years and they still look new. None of the headers I mentioned are stainless. Each way has its pros and cons so choose which ever. I will say for those who don't care about looks, I bought some exhaust jackets for my bike, but decided to go a different route. When the time comes to put headers on my V, I'm going to put that on them. It's the same material as the wrap, but it fits a little more loosely.

Jon

DILLIGAF
04-02-06, 01:25 PM
Damn,this is an old thread.

rand49er
04-02-06, 02:58 PM
Damn,this is an old thread.As Yogi Berra said, "it's deja vu all over again."

I bought Kooks headers about 6-7 weeks ago, and they said don't do it because it tends to crack and fall off. Were they referring to ALL coatings (including Jet Hot)? ... I don't know, I'm just relaying on what George at Kooks told me.

BTW, I still think Joey's avatar is one of the best along with dannystang's old one. Geez, I miss those guys posting all the time with those. :crying2:

JOEYCTS-V
04-02-06, 03:23 PM
Jet-hot coating will definitely not come off. As far as I know it's the best coating out there. I had the headers on my LT1 Camaro Jet-hot coated and 5 years later they still looked like the day I put them on. :thumbsup: The coating is both inside and outside.

stkshkr
04-02-06, 09:56 PM
I have coated SW headers, look good, nice and cool under the hood,,,do it.