: 78 deville - changing out 1/4 panel fillers

patgizz
06-20-05, 11:14 PM
i need to change out the fillers between my 1/4's and taillight housing/bumper ends on the 78 deville. i know they have nuts holding them on from inside the trunk. once i remove those do they come out, or do i need to remove the bumper end peices that hold the taillights?

Scottie in Alabama
06-21-05, 12:44 AM
The bumper and taillights are connected. You'll have to take the entire bumper/taillight assembly off to replace those fillers. There are four nuts on each side that you'll take off. I used two jacks to help keep it in place while I took the nuts off, but I needed another set of hands to help put it back on. Very simple but a little time consuming. The quick nuts are inside the fillers. You can access them after you take off the bumper. It only has one each inside the trunk. Hope this helps, good luck!

patgizz
06-21-05, 04:54 PM
how bout this. the ends with the taillights come off with 2 nuts and the main part of the bumper stays there.

brougham
06-21-05, 06:15 PM
If it looks like you can do it that way why don't you just try it? Then if it doesnt work and you need to take the bumper off you had to do that anyway.

patgizz
06-21-05, 10:11 PM
If it looks like you can do it that way why don't you just try it? Then if it doesnt work and you need to take the bumper off you had to do that anyway.

i actually just stated that because i did it earlier today and apparently people do things the hard way, so i figured i would point out to anyone reading that the ends come off without the whole bumper, and its easy if your car is not rusty.

Scottie in Alabama
06-22-05, 11:07 PM
i actually just stated that because i did it earlier today and apparently people do things the hard way, so i figured i would point out to anyone reading that the ends come off without the whole bumper, and its easy if your car is not rusty.

Thats true, you can take the lights off if your fillers are gone. How do you get the taillights back on after you put the new fillers on?

patgizz
06-23-05, 02:07 PM
it was easy i just used my air ratchet. no room to get into those 2 nuts that hold the taillights on and spin a ratchet, but plenty of room to get an air ratchet in there and squeeze the trigger.

Scottie in Alabama
06-23-05, 04:56 PM
Good possibility that's a design difference between the 78 and the 89. The nuts are driven from the top inside the filler on the 89. That would be impossible to do. The bumper must come off. Plus there are two fillers under the tag/fuel filler that you need to get to after taking the bumper off. But thanks, thats good future reference for others in your year range.