: B&B or Corsa Exhaust??

TEX-V
06-20-05, 11:11 PM
I have a B&B exhuast with x-pipe on order...but have been reading horror stories about the gaskets and the x-pipe not clearing fully, can anyone give me an honest opinon on which exhaust would give me the least trouble?
Corsa Vs B&B.

thebigjimsho
06-20-05, 11:17 PM
The least trouble? Most likely the Corsa. Although those haven't been trouble-free, either.

But for whatever small foibles the B&B has, the looks, the sound and the customer service of the B&B is tough to beat. With the help of those here, I believe your problems would be well addressed.

TEX-V
06-20-05, 11:29 PM
Thanks I will try the B&B, I will make sure they use copper rtv.

Anyone know of any good muffler shops in the Plano, Tx area???

1gCtsV05
06-20-05, 11:33 PM
IMO... I say Corsa.
But again its what you are looking for.
B&B is a loudexhaust always...
Corsa is loudwhne you want it to be and
subtle but noticeable when you dont.
I think its erfect sound... best of both worlds.
I mean this is a caddy afterall!

thebigjimsho
06-20-05, 11:41 PM
I got to listen to DansCTSV on Saturday night and he has the X-pipe B&B. In fact, the X-pipe normally comes with 2 small resonators before the X section. Since he originally had the resonator version, he used the lead pipes from that to go into the new X-pipe. Those resonator lead pipes have no resonators. So Dan should have the loudest catback B&B version you can get. And I thought it didn't sound that loud at all. And like the Corsa, it builds decibels as you get into the throttle. It sounds pretty tame at idle.

And it wasn't obtrusively loud at WOT on the highway either. To me, it's just about perfect.

CTV-Old-E
06-21-05, 12:05 AM
Got my B&B headers and exhaust done last week at LG MotorSports.

L.G. Motorsports
1211 HWY. 78 South
Wylie, TX 75098
972-429-1963

They did a great job. Looks great and sounds really bad!! :lildevil:

Going back in the morning for a tune. Will let you know the numbers later.

TEX-V
06-21-05, 12:17 AM
What was the Price??

CVP33
06-21-05, 12:24 AM
BB Exhaust - $900
BB Headers - $1,250
Labor - $500 (guess)

Total - $2,650

If you're even half way mechanical you can do both of these. The headers are daunting due to the limited space, but with proper tools, patience and beer you can get this done and save $500 bucks and have the peace of mind you did it yourself.

TEX-V
06-21-05, 12:58 AM
Im not getting headers so i can expect a lower price..did they use copper rtv, did you have problems with the x-pipe and clearance??

CTV-Old-E
06-21-05, 12:59 AM
did not get the x pipe - but they said they did one last week with x pipe and no problems. These guys are good.

wildwhl
06-21-05, 01:01 AM
StealthV has extensive experience in cars with B&B and Corsa, Maggie'd, etc.

Might want to PM him for his opinion (I already know it).

I've heard the Corsa, and have the B&B resonator version without cones. Personally, I'm glad I went B&B, despite the minor issues I've had (gaskets blew AFTER header install, my fault for not using copper rtv in the first place).

How shall I describe the difference?

Corsa - .22 LR
B&B - .308 Weatherby

:D

ace996
06-21-05, 01:07 AM
A .22LR??? Come on, man...not even a .223??? At least it wasn't a .22 shortie.

Seriously, I like the Corsa...I like the crackle and burble...but I'd like a little more. Perhaps the BB has it. I may try putting one of those stainless magnaflow x-pipes (2.5in) on and see what happens. I haven't heard many do this, so it may be an alternative to cutting/gutting/test-pipeing the cats. Although test pipes could be cool, no?

PneuBird
06-21-05, 03:00 AM
I opt for the Corsa exhaust. I have had no problems with the system after 10000 miles. I will be the the sounding board for "DTE" header install on the Corsa exhaust for you guys and gals. Hopefully less grief than you guys with the B&B headers and exhaust! I just have to have patience and wait for "DTE" to get those lead pipes mfg. in a month or two from now!! :banghead:

feline
06-21-05, 08:19 AM
FINALLY--getting my CORSA installed today!!!
Ginnie

Brad330cic
06-21-05, 11:57 AM
Tex-V, I should have my Corsa in by next week. I am up in Frisco, my dealer is doing my install, but I have heard 21st Century in Carrollton does great work on vettes and V's. I'd love to hear your B&B if you go that way!
anyone, how would the Corsa sound with headers? much louder I would guess?

DgtalPimp
06-21-05, 01:02 PM
B&B was my choice and I have been 100% happy with it. I have heard the Corsa and I prefer the B&B. I did not have any gaskets issues. Headers next :D

Harley Guy
06-21-05, 01:20 PM
FINALLY--getting my CORSA installed today!!!
Ginnie
Great to hear. I am sure you will love it, I know that I love mine. Now, how is that debate going over having Mallett do a little work for you?:sneaky:

Steve

veloce
06-21-05, 01:35 PM
Just got my Corsa a week ago and love it.As others have said, a Corvette when you want it and a Caddy when you don't.

TEX-V
06-21-05, 01:46 PM
Hey Brad330cic,how much is the dealer charging you for the exhuast install?? we have to get together after my mods...LPE/ CAI,B&B Exhaust,Cags eliminator,Rear spoiler, Know of any good shops for the spoiler install??

trukk
06-21-05, 01:56 PM
Corsa + Random Tech cats = NICE SOUND. Not any louder, just angrier.

-Chris

Brad330cic
06-21-05, 03:03 PM
I paid $1150 for the Corsa installed. I want to get rid of that 1st to 4th crap....do I get the eliminator or doesn't a "tune" get rid of that in the programming?
Not sure where to get the spoiler done...which did you get? After my corsa, I would think the LPE CAI would be the next best move, right??

trukk
06-21-05, 03:38 PM
I paid $1150 for the Corsa installed. I want to get rid of that 1st to 4th crap....do I get the eliminator or doesn't a "tune" get rid of that in the programming?
Not sure where to get the spoiler done...which did you get? After my corsa, I would think the LPE CAI would be the next best move, right??

I just got an !CAGS. Once installed you will NEVER have to worry about it again.

I'd hate to get it tuned out, then have the dealer flash the PCM for an update, and have it put back in (stock config). After having it off for so long, i'd think having it come on slowly pulling into traffic would be a recipe for an accident.

-Chris

feline
06-21-05, 04:05 PM
Just got my CORSA installed!!! It ONLY took 1 hour and cost me a Whopping $40
Steve I am READY NOW to write the check to MALLET--Husband said $16,500 was alot for Not really much?? Thoughts on the Pricing and what you get for it??? APPRECIATE any SUPPORT from you guys, we got to talk him into it!!!
Thanks, Ginnie

trukk
06-21-05, 04:29 PM
Just got my CORSA installed!!! It ONLY took 1 hour and cost me a Whopping $40
Steve I am READY NOW to write the check to MALLET--Husband said $16,500 was alot for Not really much?? Thoughts on the Pricing and what you get for it??? APPRECIATE any SUPPORT from you guys, we got to talk him into it!!!
Thanks, Ginnie

Ginnie,

Just tell him the level of performance you desire = approx $100K new vehicle cost. Because you love him so much, you'll 'settle' for the 50K V with about 20K in mods. You can now split the remaining 30K with hubby (and dump another 15K into is :D ).

On a serious note, you may want to PM ctsvadar who has the mallet upgrade, and get some feedback from him, or ask Mallet for a reference & call them.

Best way to explain it to him though, is you get what you pay for. Not a lot of places give you the peice of mind that a high end shop like Mallet or LPE deliver.

Please keep us updated.

-Chris

-Living vicariously through your mods :D

Harley Guy
06-21-05, 06:34 PM
Trukk,

Feline and I were part of the group of forum members that toured the Mallett facility a few weeks back. One overwhelming impression that you come away with is that they deliver well thought out and balanced packages. They definitely are not cheap, but the quality it absolutely there.

ronr
06-21-05, 07:06 PM
I've had my Corsa on for about 3k miles now and completely trouble free. Installed and never had to touch again. I did have StealthV tune out the burble since it was a true backfire not a burble with the Corsa. The sound is exactly what I wanted...near stock when crusing on the highway and an attention getter when I step on it (although only from the back since you only hear the maggie from the front of the car :) )

TEX-V
06-21-05, 07:21 PM
Hey Feline, How did you get such a cheap install on the corsa???

TEX-V
06-21-05, 07:24 PM
Brad, I got the same spoiler thats on the Billy Boat website, and i ordered the cags to get rid of the 1st to 4th, everything will be installed by the end of the week... Hopefully!

AmesCTS-V
06-21-05, 08:32 PM
I just got an !CAGS. Once installed you will NEVER have to worry about it again.

I'd hate to get it tuned out, then have the dealer flash the PCM for an update, and have it put back in (stock config). After having it off for so long, i'd think having it come on slowly pulling into traffic would be a recipe for an accident.

-Chris
That's why I buy the tuning software myself. I can switch tunes as I want. In my GTO if you don't tune it out with software you get an annoying graphic on the display even though it mechanically is disabled. I don't know that the V anything similar since I don't have my V yet.

feline
06-21-05, 08:44 PM
TEX-V, we know the guy and he has a shop right at his house. He said the install was so EASY and couldn't justify charging me alot!!! He had High Praises for the system!!
Ginnie

TEX-V
06-21-05, 09:38 PM
I got a quote today for a B&B, cai, install of $255 Is that fair or am i getting RIPPED??

urbanski
06-21-05, 10:05 PM
considering I paid $150 for header install, yeah I think 255 is a bit high.
consider DIY :)

2004ctsv
06-21-05, 10:27 PM
With a lift, air wrench and experience of putting ONE Corsa on, I would do it for $40 and make $100/hr.

Since I don't have a lift, I had to use ramps and jack stands. Still, a very easy install in your garage. The only re-work is to re-torque after a few heat cycles.

And the opinions expressed above are on target - a mean V8 Cadillac at idle and a real head turner at WOT. And you can still listen to Deep Tracks on XM.

Tony

trukk
06-22-05, 10:41 AM
Trukk,

Feline and I were part of the group of forum members that toured the Mallett facility a few weeks back. One overwhelming impression that you come away with is that they deliver well thought out and balanced packages. They definitely are not cheap, but the quality it absolutely there.

I think most people get the initial knee jerk reaction to the price [Bob's test 'n tune only charges 5k for a head/cam job why is Mallet 16k?]. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. You may pay more but, I would think you get a lot more peice of mind, and overall a better product. Everything I've read about Mallet and LPE has been positive (with the exception of the afore mentioned price concerns). Without checking out their facility myself or actually purchaisng one of their packages, all my experience is anecdotal, however if I were to go for an upgrade like that, I'd have a hard time not looking deep into either of those two tuners, especially since I have a daily driver, and would much prefer a no hassles, turn key solution.

That's why I buy the tuning software myself. I can switch tunes as I want. In my GTO if you don't tune it out with software you get an annoying graphic on the display even though it mechanically is disabled. I don't know that the V anything similar since I don't have my V yet.

I hear ya there. I would expect that for many V owners though, buying $500 tuning software may not be on their radar. $50 piece of mind is a good option for them (like me). And yes, the V has the same indicator on the Digital Speed display (shows 1 --> 4, vertically), and yes it still comes on with any of the resistor (non tune) based elimination techniques, as would be expected. I barely even notice it though, but perhaps that's because of the way I drive :sneaky:

-Chris