: Slight Knock or Tap?

eldoguy
11-02-03, 11:50 AM
This is my first post, and I was wondering if anyone might know what might be causing a tap noise or slight knock noise. I'm looking at purchasing a 99 Eldo with 93k miles, with the n*, and last night I drove the car. This was at the dealer. I could hear a slight tapping sound comming from the #2 cylinder area. As the car warmed up, the noise started to dimminish. But was there still after the drive. I let my wife drive the car and as she pulled ot of the dealership, I could still slightly hear this tap noise.

My questions are: Does this indicate a possible major problem?

Is this a characteristic of low octane?

Is this an indicator of hard driving?

Could it possible be a lifter tapping?

Any help would be great....Thanks in Advance

Ralph
11-03-03, 12:20 AM
Prob. the low octane thing. I had the same problem, when I got mine, and I was worried my sparkplugs would be deformed or ?, but they were fine when I changed them. Just use the best stuff you can put into your gastank. I think lifter trouble is indicated by more of a "tick."

rapid rabbit
11-03-03, 12:28 AM
I get the same noise only it's more of a "Clack", similiar to a lifter, but not quite the same. This happens for a short period every 2 or 3 days, especially if I drive it for short periods around town. If I take it out & kick it in the pants it's ok for a longer period. I read here, somewhere, that it could be carbon buildup. I get it no matter what octane I use. :)

Ralph
11-03-03, 12:31 AM
I get the same noise only it's more of a "Clack", similiar to a lifter, but not quite the same. This happens for a short period every 2 or 3 days, especially if I drive it for short periods around town. If I take it out & kick it in the pants it's ok for a longer period. I read here, somewhere, that it could be carbon buildup. I get it no matter what octane I use. :)

I guess you could use a thicker oil if you wanted to shut 'er up for good? Like when you want to sell it. ;) Also, I only experienced the knocking around 40 mph, never at idle, so on second thought it may not just be the octane.