: Flush/Drain Coolant

georgekelp
06-19-05, 05:25 AM
Sorry for a repeat thread. But i searched and resaerched for hours. And I just need a couple questions answered. This is what I got so far.
In multiple threads people keep referring to surge tanks. is that the same as a resivroir tank?

Take Radiator Cap off? Take resivroir lid off?
Dissconnect bottom radiator hose.
Drain. Put in 2 Bars Gold Leak stuff.
Connect hose back up.

Than where do I fill up the 50/50 in? Do I pour it into the radiator? Or does it go into the resivroir? I am confused at this part.

Any thing else I should know? Does the car have to running when i fill it up?

Thanks in advance.

georgekelp
06-19-05, 05:27 AM
Opps sorry this is in northstar forum. I have the 4.1 engine. I dont know how to move a thread.

Ranger
06-19-05, 11:42 AM
Northstar has a "surge tank" which is under pressure. The 4.1 has an overflow or resevouir tank which is not pressurized. 4.1 has a radiator cap. You can put the Barsleaks right in the radiator. Refill through the radiator.

georgekelp
06-19-05, 12:47 PM
Could i put the barsleak in the hose?

If so I take the hose off, drain, put barsleak, put hose back on, fill up through radiator with 50/50, and then fill up resivroir tank as well?

Ranger
06-19-05, 10:24 PM
Yes, you can put it in the hose and you have the proceedure correct, but on your car it is an unnecessary step. The only reason we have to do it that way on the Northstar is because there is no "radiator" cap. The cap is on the surge tank and there is not enough flow in there to carry it through the system.

georgekelp
06-20-05, 01:31 AM
So in reality do i even need to take the hose off? I would rather not to save expense of new clamp and pain in the ass. Could I just drain it from the draincock?

Ranger
06-20-05, 02:23 AM
No, you don't have to pull the hose. The 4.1 as I recall has a radiator cap and you can put the tabs or powder in there.

georgekelp
06-20-05, 02:25 AM
Thanks alot man, you have been alot of help. I;m gonna be doin this tomorrow. Should I expect Better gas milage if i suspect this radiator drain has rarely if ever been done?