: maggie 1/4 mile times? anyone?

chesrowncadillac
06-18-05, 04:04 PM
I have had several customers inquire about the Magnuson, all want to know what it will do to the 1/4 mile times. Most are running mid 13's, they want to know what to expect for the $$$$. Any one with a real time?
Thanks
David

V-seriesTech
06-18-05, 04:56 PM
I have had several customers inquire about the Magnuson, all want to know what it will do to the 1/4 mile times. Most are running mid 13's, they want to know what to expect for the $$$$. Any one with a real time?
Thanks
David

Hey David,....I'm not too sure what everyone else is running but i'll give you what I know. I have a customer, that i've installed long tube headers on, catback, cold air, magnacharger, tuneing(plus suspension/shifter/other mods). He really isn't the BEST drag racer but, he's getting better. This week, in humid Florida,...his first pass off the freeway looked perfect, until he missed fourth gear....he went 13.13 .....next pass, he spun the clutch. Third pass, i'm told him to just walk it out, and he went 13.7. I know the car will go mid twelves, with the proper launch, and driver behind the wheel.

...on one note, that night after the track, I got a phone calle at 1:00am...from the owner,...saying that he just clicked off a 12.85 on the G-TECH meter,...which according to HOT ROD mag, is pretty accurate.

wildwhl
06-18-05, 05:15 PM
I have it on good authority that a mid 12 second pass can be had. I don't yet have an official time slip to back it up, that's why I've kept it quiet thus far :sneaky:

dannystang
06-18-05, 05:52 PM
BLOWNCTSV - I think he works at Magnuson is going to the track today, he will be posting probably on ls1tech his times...

I am eagerly anticipating low 12's as I dont think he has F1 Supercars.

Which I will bet anyone on here will not knock off below 2.1 60' times.

wildwhl
06-18-05, 06:13 PM
dannystang -

you're right...it is the 60 foot times that need to improve (but won't) in order to post some killer 1/4 times. Even at dragtimes.com, the "pros" haven't had that great of times, even with 600+hp.

bryce3
06-18-05, 09:29 PM
I am about to purchase a Maggie. Now threads such as this one make me nervous. I am gonna be extremely pissed off if this car isn't able to run a mid to high 12 with ease after dropping $6k. All I have right now is the B&B w/res. , UUC & BMR AWK. On my GTECH PRO I clocked a 13.2 before these mods, it's been wet here so I haven't been able to make any more passes. So with the addition of an extra 100 ponies to the rear one would think a couple of tenths would come off right?????:confused: These cars stock are supposed to run mid to low 13's. So I guess my expectations are too high for mid to high 12 :cookoo: ??????
-Sean

thebigjimsho
06-18-05, 09:38 PM
It's not the power, it's the traction. Personally, I don't want to be on the strip, just want it to work well on the street.

wildwhl
06-18-05, 11:50 PM
I am about to purchase a Maggie. Now threads such as this one make me nervous. I am gonna be extremely pissed off if this car isn't able to run a mid to high 12 with ease after dropping $6k. All I have right now is the B&B w/res. , UUC & BMR AWK. On my GTECH PRO I clocked a 13.2 before these mods, it's been wet here so I haven't been able to make any more passes. So with the addition of an extra 100 ponies to the rear one would think a couple of tenths would come off right?????:confused: These cars stock are supposed to run mid to low 13's. So I guess my expectations are too high for mid to high 12 :cookoo: ??????
-Sean

Maybe the answer goes something like this:

What do a 400 hp and a 550hp CTSV have in common... :drinker

DILLIGAF
06-19-05, 12:10 AM
If you only care about 1/4 mile times don't do it.V's aren't dragsters with or without maggies!Now if you want to blow almost anything off the road you come across.Get the maggie,I'll roll off with any 4 door on the road,30 to 150 times with the maggie is worth 6000 to me.I've yet to come across a car that can keep up with me when I hammer it over 50 mph.1/4 mile times(nice)1/2 mile times(awesome)1 mile times(holy shit).Thats what the maggie is about!!!!!!!

wildwhl
06-19-05, 12:11 AM
If you only care about 1/4 mile times don't do it.V's aren't dragsters with or without maggies!Now if you want to blow almost anything off the road you come across.Get the maggie,I'll roll off with any 4 door on the road,30 to 150 times with the maggie is worth 6000 to me.I've yet to come across a car that can keep up with me when I hammer it over 50 mph.1/4 mile times(nice)1/2 mile times(awesome)1 mile times(holy shit).Thats what the maggie is about!!!!!!!

:werd:

bryce3
06-19-05, 02:28 AM
I know that the V isn't a dragster but neither are the E55 or the new M5 and lets not forget the new M3 w/ 400 hp coming to a town near you. All I am saying is there is a fine balance to being fast all the way around, the V already beats or keeps in step with the best of them in the turns, all I want is the same thing in the straights.
-Sean

Dreamin
06-19-05, 02:39 AM
I know that the V isn't a dragster but neither are the E55 or the new M5 and lets not forget the new M3 w/ 400 hp

The E55 is a monster at the drag-strip... the V is a monster on a road-course.

GNSCOTT
06-19-05, 09:37 AM
Well since most times do not mean squat because of driver erroe and technique, surely the MPH won't lie. Kind of a waste if you are not up in the 116mph range.

wildwhl
06-19-05, 12:19 PM
Well since most times do not mean squat because of driver erroe and technique, surely the MPH won't lie. Kind of a waste if you are not up in the 116mph range.

Well, how much hp is the LPE 427 CTSV making? Surely more than a simple bolton maggie LS6, right?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Cadillac-CTS-V-Timeslip-4278.html

12.3 second 117 mph pass.

Add even more horsepower and boost (17 lbs it says) and take longer, but go faster.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Cadillac-CTS-V-Timeslip-4280.html

12.4 seconds and 125 mph pass.

It isn't the 1/4 mile that draws the maggie to the V - TRUST ME and the rest of the maggie'd v owners :sneaky:

One thing I remember after reading that shootout (and this is posted on the dragtimes pages as well) was how traction was the issue. 0-60 times were 4.3 for Mallett and 4.1 for LPE...so I'd imagine the 60' times weren't that great - hence the 12.4 second 125 mph combination. But it is still 125 mph...gotta be one cool ride that 700hp V :disappoin

lasstss
06-19-05, 01:37 PM
I have it on good authority that a mid 12 second pass can be had. I don't yet have an official time slip to back it up, that's why I've kept it quiet thus far :sneaky:

The V with 500hp/4000lbs at the flywheel should be capable of low 12's no doubt. There is however no way this will happen with the stock diff set up and you must have drag radials... Further modifications just enable some of us to snatch it off the line and play catch up with the clock, hence the low trap speeds. With the maggie alone and any traction at all and under a 2.0 60' we should see trap speeds of 115mph not the 101-106 that we see. I doubt the rear or the axles can take it. If the V weighed less , might be a different story. With a 4000lb + package things start to break. As was said, the V is a road racer. We will have to be content smokin them on the highway, not the dragstrip... for now.:disappoin

wildwhl
06-19-05, 01:48 PM
lasstss -

Exactly.

ace996
06-19-05, 01:54 PM
I'm sure one wouldn't (or shouldn't) use a knife to drive a nail....using the proper tool for the job leads to a better job and less damage to the tool.

A 10 second Camaro or 'Cuda is a great tool at the strip but would probably look like jokes on the road track. Are you getting my point?

There are real problems with stock V's on the strip, as the car was NEVER designed for such a purpose. When you add a power boost like a Maggie or turbos, or....I can't believe I'm putting the same words in the same sentence...:vomit: Nitrous, you are in for trouble. Taking the V to the strip and treating it like that is sad, its like doing this...:kick: :hitstick: to your V.

No doubt, I'm not making any friends with my opinions, but its how I feel...my prayers are with your Vs.

Ve good,
ace996

GNSCOTT
06-19-05, 02:52 PM
Listen, the mentality that the car wasn't built for the strip is getting old. Besides having an independent rear (which the GTO, Cobra and Vette all have and do fine at the strip) what about our car is not built for the strip. What makes a strip car?

Wide Tires
High HP
Good Gears
High Torque

We have all of that. You can argue weight but then why are GTO's and Cobras doing good as strip cars? All we need is a rear that can hold up and it is a disgrace that we got the POS rear put in our cars. You can drop the clutch on a Vette at 5k, on a GTO or on a Cobra. We just got stuck with a rear that sucks. That is the one reason why I can no longer bring my car to the strip (broke it once there already) and what stops me from modding the car. Its not the wheelhop (my rear broke clean w/ no hop) that is breaking the rears, its that the half shafts are just too weak. Even if you cure the hop, if you get the car to hook and drop the clutch at 4k, there is a great chance it will break. Anybody see GMHTP mag test on the V. They tried to test it but broke the rear on their first attempt at the drags.

dannystang
06-19-05, 03:14 PM
How good is the Cts-v as a Track (road) queen though?

If that was its sole purpose?

I have no basis of comparison...so the 1/4 least tells me flat out acceleration...

I do know a EVO or STI will flat out annihilate me on the twisties.

(Also a 4 door sports car)

StealthV
06-19-05, 03:37 PM
You are scared of a EVO or STi in the twisties? Looking into the crystal ball, I see a road course driving school in your future.

dannystang
06-19-05, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I am definately going...to one.

Though on the highway, my threshold before the car breaks lose is alot lower then a EVO.

Unless its cool to drift at 100+...?

wildwhl
06-19-05, 05:23 PM
Evo and Sti are purpose built rally cars legal on the street (basically). The V is an everyday, comfy ride compared to those gadgets.

GNSCOTT
06-19-05, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't those cars be faster on one of the parking lot road courses where the V really has no chance to open up and its weight would just slow it down?

wildwhl
06-19-05, 09:30 PM
My one try at Auto-Xing the V I was significantly slower than one of the Sti's. There wasn't an Evo there...and the Sti in question, I believe, was somewhat modded (tires for sure) but not sure what else.

So, GNSCOTT, I'd agree, they would likely be faster in the tight auto-x courses. I just learned this afternoon that I missed the local clubs annual high speed course (110 mph for the vettes on the straight is what I'm told). Wish I hadn't missed it - the V would likely shine!

Kerr
06-20-05, 01:47 PM
ok, can some please make me understand how a blower on a car can make it run that much better on the road or 50-150 mph as stated above but it can make it any faster from 0-120. I feel the same way sean does $6K is a lot of money to run what they say they run stock. I have had fast cars all my life. for quick math ever extra 100 wheel hp should take off one second. so those of you running a 13.2 should run 12.2 with a blower, if the ET does not drop then your trap should should go up a lot. Take one of my cars for example. 13.3 @109 stock. installed new parts to add 100 wheelhp and my et went to a 12.8 @ 121.

V-seriesTech
06-20-05, 01:50 PM
I hear you Kerr,...I have a goal to go low twelves in a blown V,...I don't see why it isn't possable with the right set up. Drag radials and a chassis brace should do it.:yup:

Kerr
06-20-05, 02:00 PM
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php

that is a lot of fun. you might have to register. anyway you can plug in all your factors and it will do the math even down to gear ratios, real tires size, etc...

this is the quick one cause i dont know the weight of the car

You Entered:
Vehicle Weight - 4000 (lbs)
Wheel HP - 350 (HP)
Results:
Trap Speed - 108.31 (mph @ end of 1/4 mi.)
E.T. - 13.11 (seconds @ end of 1/4 mi.)

add 100 wheel hp
You Entered:
Vehicle Weight - 4000 (lbs)
Wheel HP - 450 (HP)
Results:
Trap Speed - 117.77 (mph @ end of 1/4 mi.)
E.T. - 12.06 (seconds @ end of 1/4 mi.)

wildwhl
06-20-05, 02:08 PM
Kerr -

I don't disagree - was just stating facts. Figure how pissed some of the pro-tuners must be to only get into the mid to low 12's after spending $10, $20, or even $30K on their cars (Mallett and LPE). Mind you, they didn't create a drag specific car, and my comments have been in that direction - an all around vehicle, not something with a locked up rear and drag radials specifically tuned for drag racing.

I'm after a bitchin' all around ride - and to me adding the Maggie to the V (along with some other mods) has provided that. Sure, she's faster in the 1/4 mile, but that wasn't my reason for doing it. Make sense?

The reality is that I'm afraid to blow up the rear - and for that reason likely won't spend too much time persuing elusive 1/4 mile or 0-60 times. Now, 5-100 and above - I'm all in :sneaky:

lasstss
06-20-05, 02:34 PM
Kerr -

I don't disagree - was just stating facts. Figure how pissed some of the pro-tuners must be to only get into the mid to low 12's after spending $10, $20, or even $30K on their cars (Mallett and LPE). Mind you, they didn't create a drag specific car, and my comments have been in that direction - an all around vehicle, not something with a locked up rear and drag radials specifically tuned for drag racing.

I'm after a bitchin' all around ride - and to me adding the Maggie to the V (along with some other mods) has provided that. Sure, she's faster in the 1/4 mile, but that wasn't my reason for doing it. Make sense?

The reality is that I'm afraid to blow up the rear - and for that reason likely won't spend too much time persuing elusive 1/4 mile or 0-60 times. Now, 5-100 and above - I'm all in :sneaky:

Good 1/4 times are had by cars that can just about carry the front wheels. The V has fairly neutral weight. It does not throw its weight to the back wheels easily. The shock valving is stiff on up the uplift. Even on 6k shifts the nose on my car barely budges. Drag radials are the only answer but again, you start breaking stuff. The Diff and axles suck, no way around it.
What we need is one of these shops to get a cradle from cadillac, rework it to use the C-5 diff or similar and off we go. The cradle is only $600.
I will be the first guy in line to buy it. If I had the time I would do it.

bryce3
06-20-05, 02:47 PM
To those that have destroyed a rear. What exactly broke apart, guts or just half shafts?
-Sean

wildwhl
06-20-05, 02:47 PM
Sean -

I've read and seen pictures posted of both, as well as driveshaft (at the strip destruction).

Kerr
06-20-05, 03:15 PM
i think some of you might have taken what i said the wrong way. im not bashing or trying to sound like a jerk. I understand traction is the main problem on these car. However once it hooks you should still see a large improvement in mph which it gathered at the top end of the 1/4 mile which im assuming is 4th gear range in these cars. I dont have one so i dont know for sure.

Im just compairing other ls1 cars of camaros, and vette. If you ad the hp they will go faster.

Also for the rear end, and im sure this has been brought up, back in the days of 93-end of the F bodys some one sold a diff cover with a insert that held the diffs in place so busted ring gear would not happen any more. Do they still make them? and has anyone tried them?

wildwhl
06-20-05, 03:18 PM
Kerr -

We're all friends here :Poke:

It isn't the guts, per say, but generally the case itself that lets go :nono:

To my knowledge there isn't anything yet made to beef up the rear end - and some vendors (DTE) mentioned they didn't feel anything could be done.

lasstss
06-20-05, 03:29 PM
Our diff looks like one of those old quick change rears. Its little and holds a quart of oil (braindead).. The gears seem to be OK. The case doesent stay together. The gears that did break probably did so because the case didnt hold geometry. JMO....:helpless:

wildwhl
06-20-05, 03:31 PM
lasstss -

Not JMO, J"our"O :disappoin

willsctsv
06-20-05, 04:18 PM
Wild, Do you think your car can handle a 20 minute session at the Glen, or Pocono's???

Just wanted to get your thoughts. I'm N/A and have only had problems blowing out cats. Temps stayed much cooler with the stealth tune having the fans turn on sooner. That's how it should of been from the factory.
I would imagine with the Maggie you will also melt a cat!
Come and Join me!

I am curious if a maggied V can handle this??

wildwhl
06-20-05, 04:30 PM
will-

I'd really like to know. I have a track day planned here this summer:

www.reno-fernleyraceway.com

This will be my first attempt at track time (other than straight line) and I'll, of course, post whatever occurs when it does.

I think given the current state of tune it would be ok. However, since I own EFILive I might be tempted to cheat and fatten things up to make sure things are cool...I really don't know.

I haven't really driven the V much more than 8or9/10ths since the maggie was installed. I know the next big bang for the buck mod is to mod me, the driver, to handle this cars abilities :)

I still think it is strange that those cats blew out - but have also heard it is fairly common during track time for aftermarket/hi-flow cats. Since I live in a state that has adopted CA smog regs, I need to keep my cats intact, or revert to the manifolds starting next year (I think)...until then I have some time to figure it out.

GNSCOTT
06-20-05, 04:59 PM
To those that have destroyed a rear. What exactly broke apart, guts or just half shafts?
-Sean

Mine was a half shaft (GM said) They said one snapped inside the pumkin and the pieces destryoed the rest.

CVP33
06-20-05, 08:41 PM
'04 - Lost the entire rear diff. It was leaking prior to failure so I'm sure that played a part.

'05 - Blew the driver's side half shaft. Once at the diff' and once at the wheel. Both were catastrophic failures with the shaft sheering.

GNSCOTT
06-20-05, 09:25 PM
Back last year when the V first came out and we were all waiting for our cars, there was a post from someone saying that they installed hardened half shafts. Has anyone heard anything since? He even mentioned the name of the manufacturer or Vendor that sold it. I'm now figuring it was a BS story because I think it would have came up in conversation in the past year.

CVP33
06-20-05, 09:59 PM
I don't believe a hardened shaft would help as I actually sheared mine at the connection to the hub and the diff'. I didn't actually break a half shaft, I broke the connection.

wildwhl
06-20-05, 11:00 PM
GNSCOTT -

I recall that as well. I vote BS, since nothing has ever surfaced, pics, links, stories or otherwise.

lasstss
06-21-05, 01:07 AM
I don't believe a hardened shaft would help as I actually sheared mine at the connection to the hub and the diff'. I didn't actually break a half shaft, I broke the connection.

There was mention of reinforced half shafts on the 2006 that are interchangeable?? Reed??

wildwhl
06-21-05, 01:15 AM
lasstss -

It is interesting that diff's are on national backorder again. Wonder if halfshafts are too?

Does anybody recall the email I received from Getrag where there was a mention of a running change to the differential part number coming soon (don't recall the timeframe, but seems like it was June or so)?

Could this be an indication of the part to be used in the '06, and (now at least let me dream for a minute here) did they address some of the inherent weakness? Does it come with new halfshafts that are stronger and does it all bolt into the current design? Man...could it be?

(You do realize how badly this thread has been jacked, don't you?)

Kerr
06-21-05, 01:58 PM
so if the case is the problem why does gm not offer better parts. Seem like they didnt think this car through. hummm they need 400 hp a 6 speed and junk rear end. You would have thought they learned from the F body cars.

What does the GTO have for a case and are they having the same problems.

Lord knows i had 5 rear end replaced in a 93 Z 28, and 3 in a 98 SS..