: So, how did N* ended up in a Cadillac's engine bay?

weister42
06-18-05, 03:10 AM
After reading this forum for a long time people consistently say the N* engine is a high-performance engine designed to run all day long @ high rpm. So why did GM put these engines in Cadillacs that are mostly driven softly and babied? I mean why don't they put these engines in a truck or a sports coupe where it may actually be used for speed?

I try to "use" my engine every now and then but I'm having a hard time keeping it above 5000rpm for more than a few seconds:halo:

weister42
06-18-05, 03:11 AM
My dream is to make my Deville twin turbo and worthy enough to go over 150mph:D

davesdeville
06-18-05, 07:17 AM
It can't do 150 as is? My ETC did 153 indicated, and the Deville isn't that much less aerodynamic. Is it limited?

It's not in a truck because it doesn't make low end torque worthy of a heavy truck. It's not in a sports car because ... GM likes pushrod engines for that I guess. Although it's in a few Fieros by now.

Ranger
06-18-05, 11:47 AM
Yes it is limited to 112 because it came with "S" rated tires.

lry99eldo
06-18-05, 01:30 PM
Without having been seated at those meetings in which a google of people make up design review and application decisions who will ever know for sure. Speculation is always just that, and all I know is I have a N* in my engine bay and I ain't messin with it! It's without a doubt one of, if not the most, technicly advanced engines ever produced in Detroit, (you know what I mean here) and I'm glad to have one. Sideways, smideways, and all those other questions as well as this one are idle chatter. How do you feel when you punch that thing in first or second gear and suddendly realize it's 279 cubic inches? There's your answer and here's you sign.
lry99eldo

Ranger
06-18-05, 06:30 PM
After reading this forum for a long time people consistently say the N* engine is a high-performance engine designed to run all day long @ high rpm. So why did GM put these engines in Cadillacs that are mostly driven softly and babied?
Competition. you gotta keep up with the Jonses (or one up them) if you want to sell cars.

eldorado1
06-18-05, 08:26 PM
So why did GM put these engines in Cadillacs that are mostly driven softly and babied?

I don't think they ever thought they'd be babied as much as they are.....

Notice that Cadillac isn't what it used to be..... Now it's a performance luxury brand, vs a strictly luxury brand. Maybe the original northstar was just 'testing the waters'.

mcf1000x2003
06-18-05, 09:23 PM
i would like to get my 95 sts turboed or s/c but everyone says no
way to do it

davesdeville
06-19-05, 06:19 AM
It's a 95, so if you can fit a turbo or 2 in there and since it's a 95 you can work with the PCM, it's possible albiet still very hard to do. XMS makes/made a 7psi centrifugal supercharger kit. Or take the easy way out and nitrous it.

Wow Ranger I didn't realise there was an option less than H at 130.

danbuc
06-19-05, 11:33 AM
Only the Devilles had an S-rated tire option.

mtflight
06-19-05, 02:30 PM
Wow Ranger I didn't realise there was an option less than H at 130.

Yep, which reminded me of this video review done on the Deville by some crazy "foks" on a rental car....

http://www.sakebomb.com/reviews/cadillac.html

You can see a part in the video where they took it all the way up to 111mph... as fast as it will go. This was a Deville base not DHS or DTS. They also drive it into a ditch...

weister42
06-19-05, 02:58 PM
^^^Hmmmmm I like that perfect FWD oversteer turn....so now the question is, where's all the performance parts for Devilles? So what if N* is complex, I'm sure some crazy mechanic can work it out:thumbsup:

weister42
06-19-05, 03:10 PM
http://students.uwsp.edu/hlu328/Devilleslide.jpg

Yeeeeah!

mcf1000x2003
06-19-05, 05:19 PM
how bout nitrous and s/c:thumbsup: :yup:

davesdeville
06-20-05, 12:41 AM
Just hope you don't have a nitrous backfire while the sc is boosting...

That pic looks bad ass.

mtflight
06-20-05, 12:46 AM
That pic looks bad ass.

I concur, weister42, you did a good job capturing that from the video.:musical:

Spyder
06-21-05, 03:41 PM
Now I have to go watch the video... ...

Spyder
06-21-05, 03:47 PM
Hmmmmm...disappointing. The dirt road was purty cool, but everything else I've done in my own car... oh well, good try :)

mtflight
06-21-05, 03:49 PM
Hmmmmm...disappointing. The dirt road was purty cool, but everything else I've done in my own car... oh well, good try :)
:shocked2: u drove your car into a ditch?

:cheers:
cheers

Ranger
06-21-05, 04:53 PM
What a shame. Such a nice car and those two Bozo's are wrecking it. Too bad the rental company doesn't get a hold of that and sue them. Maybe Bbob will start saying "Drive it like you rented it".

weister42
06-21-05, 05:43 PM
Thanks mtflight:bouncy: I'm suprised that it got out of a ditch relatively easy, we're talking about a full-size FWD sedan here!

I guess if the back is in the ditch it would be a different story:D

mtflight
06-21-05, 06:06 PM
Thanks mtflight:bouncy: I'm surrised that it got out of a ditch relatively easy, we're talking about a full-size FDW sedan here!

I guess if the back is in the ditch it would be a different story:D

True, but then it may have simply pulled itself out...since the weight is on the drive wheels either way. :woohoo:

Spyder
06-22-05, 02:09 PM
Yeeup...was driving my old 66 lincoln back in high school when something broke in the front end...threw me 10 feet to the right, half into the local irrigation ditch which my driveway went over. Had to pull it out with the old dodge, jack it up a foot and drop it onto a strategically placed rock to straiten out the bent pieces, stick a few new bolts in and drive 'er away. :) No body damage though, so I was alright with it...and it got me out of class for the day as well...